carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #71
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
So, that X3M is now punched by the dealer and price lowered to a loaded X3M40i. Hmmm.

Can't get over the feeling, though, that I'd prefer the loaded X3M40i, but speced the way I want.

Or just wait to drive the RAV4 Prime. Problem is no availability until next year probably.
My brother just got the X3M40i and he loves it, I think these cars are so fast unless you feel the need for extreme power you can go without an M. I’m not familiar with the RAV4 prime but a quick search it looks really good.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #72
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My brother just got the X3M40i and he loves it, I think these cars are so fast unless you feel the need for extreme power you can go without an M. I’m not familiar with the RAV4 prime but a quick search it looks really good.
Yah. I think the X3M40i is probably the perfect car for me. But, why do I not completely trust new builds coming out of Spartanburg right now?

Edit: Also, I think dealers have such low inventory on that car right now, they can sell whatever comes in. I think smarter money is to wait until they are hungrier for the sale and the market for them is softer.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #73
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yah. I think the X3M40i is probably the perfect car for me. But, why do I not completely trust new builds coming out of Spartanburg right now?

Edit: Also, I think dealers have such low inventory on that car right now, they can sell whatever comes in. I think smarter money is to wait until they are hungrier for the sale and the market for them is softer.

Was thing the same thing about cars in general being built now. I guess it could go either way - maybe the lower volume will actually improve quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #74
robg
Carmudgeon

WDC's Practical Car Perseveration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, it is. And I keep forgetting about them.

I posted about it before, but I really liked the F-Pace that I rented over Xmas break. It wasn't super fast but it was really practical and nice enough to drive, and pretty pleasant to look at without being over the top.

Regarding the F-pace at this point I’d probably wait for the facelift - it will likely get the new inline 6 motor (really great engine) and updated interior similar to refreshed XE. The current interior is a bit dated and cheap looking. Might also get the newer, faster, better infotainment system that’s in the defender. They also seem to be ditching the annoying rotary shifter on their refreshed vehicles as well (although I know many of you also dislike the ZF/bmw style joystick though I find it much better). JLR seems more adept at steering/chassis tuning then bmw at this point. Could give the x3 40i a run for its money though I expect the x3 will still lease much better.

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #75
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Was thing the same thing about cars in general being built now. I guess it could go either way - maybe the lower volume will actually improve quality?

I guess one question is whether they really are working at lower volume? Or are they trying to play catch up for plant closures back in March, while also coping with distancing measures in the factory and absenteeism/sick workers?
Old 07-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #76
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Also, I think dealers have such low inventory on that car right now, they can sell whatever comes in. I think smarter money is to wait until they are hungrier for the sale and the market for them is softer.
Basically, if you hold out for a better deal later, I think there's a good chance it will become available. Eventually. But, you might not. And if you do, "eventually," may not be until way out in the future. OTOH, much better deals could be 45 or fewer days away.

Are we going to have more stay at home orders and factory shutdowns? When automakers are free to set their own production schedules again, will they get better results at matching supply to demand than in the past? Will demand hold at predictable and stable levels for extended periods?

There's a ton of demand for new and used cars right now without much inventory for either. No one knows quite how much demand there is, but we all know everything in society is in a precarious state. We're on the cusp of more stay at home orders, new factory shutdowns, etc. Reopening of schools may happen threatening new threat vectors. Federal economic relief packages are expiring. An election coming in 101 days with a fascist in charge who is currently fomenting civil unrest and retraining former law enforcement officers to become an occupying army of secret police as he falls more and more behind.

I've probably overthought this enough for everyone in the context of car purchase decisions. I think it may boil down to this question:

How much are you willing to spend "extra" to get it over and done with so you can move on with the rest of your life?

I mean, other questions are how much do you think is realistically possible to save on a better deal, say, three months from now? How likely do you think that is to happen? Do you like to gamble? What benefits are there to acting now/waiting? What downsides?

I think we would answer those questions differently, but I think we face the same questions in different situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I doubt more care is being taking per unit and imagine some suppliers may be trying to find ways to increase profit per widget to make up for the lost volume and that doesn't always end well.

Anyway, sorry to drop in on this, I'll go back to my own perseverating thread now.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #77
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I guess one question is whether they really are working at lower volume? Or are they trying to play catch up for plant closures back in March, while also coping with distancing measures in the factory and absenteeism/sick workers?
I’m not sure you need to worry.

I would think bmw has standards in quality that need to be met and I would be surprised if they allow those standards not to be met.

We are in the process of finally ordering my sons M340 and I feel completely comfortable ordering a new car from bmw.

Also plan on ordering a new 5 series though that won’t be for another 3 months but might do it early to insure I get it by December.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #78
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Basically, if you hold out for a better deal later, I think there's a good chance it will become available. Eventually. But, you might not. And if you do, "eventually," may not be until way out in the future. OTOH, much better deals could be 45 or fewer days away.

Are we going to have more stay at home orders and factory shutdowns? When automakers are free to set their own production schedules again, will they get better results at matching supply to demand than in the past? Will demand hold at predictable and stable levels for extended periods?

There's a ton of demand for new and used cars right now without much inventory for either. No one knows quite how much demand there is, but we all know everything in society is in a precarious state. We're on the cusp of more stay at home orders, new factory shutdowns, etc. Reopening of schools may happen threatening new threat vectors. Federal economic relief packages are expiring. An election coming in 101 days with a fascist in charge who is currently fomenting civil unrest and retraining former law enforcement officers to become an occupying army of secret police as he falls more and more behind.

I've probably overthought this enough for everyone in the context of car purchase decisions. I think it may boil down to this question:

How much are you willing to spend "extra" to get it over and done with so you can move on with the rest of your life?

I mean, other questions are how much do you think is realistically possible to save on a better deal, say, three months from now? How likely do you think that is to happen? Do you like to gamble? What benefits are there to acting now/waiting? What downsides?

I think we would answer those questions differently, but I think we face the same questions in different situations.

I doubt more care is being taking per unit and imagine some suppliers may be trying to find ways to increase profit per widget to make up for the lost volume and that doesn't always end well.

Anyway, sorry to drop in on this, I'll go back to my own perseverating thread now.
I appreciate your thoughts. (And the transparency into your dithering process--not so unlike mine!) This part, especially, has also occurred to me:

"I doubt more care is being taking per unit and imagine some suppliers may be trying to find ways to increase profit per widget to make up for the lost volume and that doesn't always end well."
Old 07-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #79
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts. (And the transparency into your dithering process--not so unlike mine!) This part, especially, has also occurred to me:

"I doubt more care is being taking per unit and imagine some suppliers may be trying to find ways to increase profit per widget to make up for the lost volume and that doesn't always end well."
I wouldn't dwell on that, though. I'm not as trusting in process and standards as Alan in his most recent post, but it wouldn't/won't stop me from buying a car. Any new car can give you problems at any time for any number of reasons related to "quality." I would just expect the possibility of a slightly elevated percentage chance of experiencing an issue than otherwise. I wouldn't give it a second thought...it's just in the noise of this part of the environment.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #80
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
In the modern car era, I think I worry more about design flaws and engineering shortcomings more so than assembly error. I tend to trust more in the automation and the checks and balances inherent in modern factory assembly.

For any BMW mid-cycle (i.e. not the first 2 years of a new generation or new power train), I wouldn’t worry at all.

I’ve lived with the worst case scenario from BMW in the past 20 years, the E61, and while it took some doing to make it reliable, it really was ultimately a reasonable car to own. And it’s still running quite well btw.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote