carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 08-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #51
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
But... are there any hills on the OH turnpike?
Yes, actually there are. Particularly in the eastern half of the state. And the troopers use them to full advantage. Once you're west of Cleveland it gets much flatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Is it OH I read is crazy-strict on limits and hands out tickets like crazy?
Not really. They are pretty formulaic. If you keep your speed at or below ~8MPH over the limit they don't even look twice at you. I've gone past a few troopers while towing, doing a GPS-verified 80MPH in a 70 zone with no cars around me and have been ignored. My compatriots that like to cruise at 15 over get tickets -every- -single- -trip-. I've averaged three trips a year across Ohio in the last ten years and I've not once gotten pulled over in the state.

It's also not like the shithole that is Virginia, where 80MPH becomes a reckless driving charge. Ohio just wants you to pay the ticket so they can keep the racket going.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #52
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Yes, actually there are. Particularly in the eastern half of the state. And the troopers use them to full advantage. Once you're west of Cleveland it gets much flatter.

Not really. They are pretty formulaic. If you keep your speed at or below ~8MPH over the limit they don't even look twice at you. I've gone past a few troopers while towing, doing a GPS-verified 80MPH in a 70 zone with no cars around me and have been ignored. My compatriots that like to cruise at 15 over get tickets -every- -single- -trip-. I've averaged three trips a year across Ohio in the last ten years and I've not once gotten pulled over in the state.

It's also not like the shithole that is Virginia, where 80MPH becomes a reckless driving charge. Ohio just wants you to pay the ticket so they can keep the racket going.
I mean, 8-10 mph over is not lax, but not crazy-tight. Reckless driving at 80mph is nuts.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #53
dan
redefined

Quote:

Now, now...looks like they bumped that all the way up to 85mph this year.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #54
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Considering that I commuted in OH for about 3 years, I can verify. Most of my commute home was on I-285, which is the loop freeway around Cinci. I'd leave my office, head into Kentucky on I-471, then connect to 285 to head home. I almost never say a speed trap on 471 or 285 in KY, but there were 3-4 spots where the Ohio State Patrol were frequently visible (probably 75% of the time...).

I usually drive 5 over and never bothered to slow down. I'm pretty sure they don't pull anyone over until people were going at least 10 over. Partly since that was pretty easy pickings -- the one thing I noticed with Ohio drivers is that there were 2 groups:
1) people that drive 5-10 UNDER the limit regardless of where they are (freeway, neighborhood roads, city streets, etc)
2) people that drive 10-20 over on the freeway, but 5-10 under everywhere else.

Since there was nobody that would actually drive the speed limit on city streets and neighborhood roads, lets just say it was frustrating with the traffic they cause!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #55
John V
No more BMWs

I've got a dyno session scheduled a few weeks from now down in Virginia Beach, this thread is a good reminder to take no chances in Virginia. Enforcement in the VA Beach / Hampton is crazy.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #56
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
But... are there any hills on the OH turnpike?
Quote:
Plus the elevation differences around over/underpasses and ramps that provide defilade like concealment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Whoa. That happened with little fanfare. Small victories.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #57
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Whoa. That happened with little fanfare. Small victories.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #58
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post

Sweet, hammer down.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #59
John V
No more BMWs

Actually, that's not insignificant and makes passing someone less of a nail-biting experience.