carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #3541
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s crazy that people pay any money for PCCBs. Those are the first thing I’d take off if I bought a car that had them.
They really do not wear much at all on the street. Pure overkill. I guess if you track often, it’s a $25,000 per 2 outings kind of thing. Which yes, isn’t worth it.

So I guess then it’s pure aesthetics. To have those yellow monobloc calipers. Probably a part of the triumvirate of CF bucket seats, FAL and PCCBs. Of the three, it sounds stupid but the one I like the best out of all options would be FAL. Because scraping sucks.

Yes, they’re a little weird when cold or conditions are wet. Initial bite is amazing but I think it’s sort of engineered to have that kind of initial pedal feel. I have zero issues with the steelies.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:35 PM   #3542
JST

The hardcore track guys I’ve met all swap on iron rotors and put the CF ones in a safe place until they sell the car. Or at least they did, back in the day. Maybe the new CF rotors are more durable, but those guys were all worried about having to drop 15k on a new set of rotors after a spirited track season.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:11 AM   #3543
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
The hardcore track guys I’ve met all swap on iron rotors and put the CF ones in a safe place until they sell the car. Or at least they did, back in the day. Maybe the new CF rotors are more durable, but those guys were all worried about having to drop 15k on a new set of rotors after a spirited track season.
The crazy ones still use their PCCBs though.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...3-991-2-a.html

Old 11-26-2022, 11:52 PM   #3544
SCA
Jaded

EVO Porsche 911 Carrera T 2022 review https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-t?...zZ7JRfWmKejYSQ
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:04 AM   #3545
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
EVO Porsche 911 Carrera T 2022 review https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-t?...zZ7JRfWmKejYSQ
It sounds like a a great car. And adding a manual here in the less laggy engine is probably one of the better drivetrains in the lineup.

This car is probably guaranteed to hold its value because of the quirks of Porsche fanboi’s. Probably more so than an S. And considering that the GTS in reality is really a $180,000 car for all intents and purposes. There is a clear distinction between this versus an S versus the GTS.

What I think most people are understating or not addressing much is that the 992 base engine seems to be a lot stronger than the 991.2 base engine (and this makes sense). So a 992 Carrera T buyer is not giving up all that much to a 992 Carrera S buyer.

I hope people order more of them so that there’s a bigger choice of them in the CPO market in a year or so.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #3546
JST

It’s the 911 I’d buy, for sure (because the Gt3T is out of my reach), but a 2 seat, 380 hp 911 does make one wonder about a Cayman GTS. Yes, the turbo has more torque and likely is faster around town, but the smaller package of the Cayman is pretty appealing.

And that’s before we even get to the question of “wouldn’t you like the top to go down?”
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #3547
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
It’s the 911 I’d buy, for sure (because the Gt3T is out of my reach), but a 2 seat, 380 hp 911 does make one wonder about a Cayman GTS. Yes, the turbo has more torque and likely is faster around town, but the smaller package of the Cayman is pretty appealing.

And that’s before we even get to the question of “wouldn’t you like the top to go down?”
The Boxster 4.0 is more special than this car. That’s just a fact. By extension the Cayman 4.0 is too.

The 911 has gotten large. Not heavy. But large. And that does make it less nimble and more of a cruiser. This 992 T sharpens up the cruiser. But I just don’t think it’s as tactile and rewarding as a mid engine car with the big displacement flat six.

My opinion is colored by the smaller flat six in the much older Boxster. And the only thing the car is missing is a high end ability to breathe. The engine runs out of power too soon. The 4.0 likely solves 98% of that for how I drive. The car had so much sentimental value that at this point the only car that can displace it is the 991 Speedster. And there I’m just waiting on prices to stabilize.

The T is probably more rewarding to drive and to own than the GTS, IMHO. The GTS is probably so fast you never fully use it. And when you do, I bet you still wish you were in the GT3. The T is the essence of the 911 and when I drive my version, I never want for anything. It’s simple. It’s light. And it’s really enjoyable to drive as is.

Old 11-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #3548
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The Boxster 4.0 is more special than this car. That’s just a fact. By extension the Cayman 4.0 is too.

The 911 has gotten large. Not heavy. But large. And that does make it less nimble and more of a cruiser. This 992 T sharpens up the cruiser. But I just don’t think it’s as tactile and rewarding as a mid engine car with the big displacement flat six.

My opinion is colored by the smaller flat six in the much older Boxster. And the only thing the car is missing is a high end ability to breathe. The engine runs out of power too soon. The 4.0 likely solves 98% of that for how I drive. The car had so much sentimental value that at this point the only car that can displace it is the 991 Speedster. And there I’m just waiting on prices to stabilize.

The T is probably more rewarding to drive and to own than the GTS, IMHO. The GTS is probably so fast you never fully use it. And when you do, I bet you still wish you were in the GT3. The T is the essence of the 911 and when I drive my version, I never want for anything. It’s simple. It’s light. And it’s really enjoyable to drive as is.
Obviously, the answer is an engine swap. GT3 boxster.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #3549
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Obviously, the answer is an engine swap. GT3 boxster.
Kekekeke.

Yeah. And now we know it’s possible (GT4 RS)

Old 11-27-2022, 07:47 PM   #3550
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Kekekeke.

Yeah. And now we know it’s possible (GT4 RS)

Yep. Seems pretty certain that there will be spyder RS as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote