carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I really do think this deserves a letter, but I would have no idea where to send it.
You could send in an op-ed to your local newspaper or just a letter - either way, you'll get a call from city hall

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Man... I'm glad I live in AZ.

While we have to put up with photo-radar on surface streets and on one freeway (coming soon to more...), at least we have what I consider a very good rule:

Only the an AZ Dept of Public Safety (ie the Highway Patrol) can pull over somone on a State or Federal highway (ie Interstates, state freeways, or US Highways). City or County officers cannot patrol those roads -- they can only do surface streets or county highways. And County Sheriffs can only patrol in unincorporated areas unless a municipality contracts with the Sheriff to be their police force -- which means you can't have 2 authorities pulling you over in the same municipality.

In addition, they can only pull you over for exceeding the limit by more than 10 MPH (state law -- even the photo-radar machines must be set to trigger at 11 MPH over).

On top of that, we generally have reasonable limits here: rural interstates are 75MPH, rural highways are 65MPH, Freeways are 65MPH in most parts, 55MPH downtown where its frequently congested, etc.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
On top of that, we generally have reasonable limits here: rural interstates are 75MPH, rural highways are 65MPH, Freeways are 65MPH in most parts, 55MPH downtown where its frequently congested, etc.
US-29 is a bit weird where TD saw the speed trap. A bit south of the road with the cherry-picker-positioned-trooper, the road turns from a limited access highway to a more traditional US highway with at-grade crossings, traffic lights, and more non-vehicular traffic. So a 55MPH limit is not unreasonable, though I usually find myself doing 65 on that stretch of road on the rare occasion that I'm forced to drive it.

And to be entirely fair, I've whizzed by the speed traps at 65MPH and not gotten a look from the police. I think they're typically looking for the gross offenders - the people doing 15-25over.

It's still ridiculous.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

It would not be safe for anyone to be going 99MPH on US 29, at least not in the area TD is talking about. I would certainly hope they'd hand out a ticket for that. I highly doubt your MIL is going that fast on that stretch of road.

On the other hand, I've cruised at 90MPH on I-95 (which is rarely patrolled between the Beltway and HoCo MD, and when it is, it's in obvious locations).
Old 03-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
It would not be safe for anyone to be going 99MPH on US 29, at least not in the area TD is talking about. I would certainly hope they'd hand out a ticket for that. I highly doubt your MIL is going that fast on that stretch of road.

On the other hand, I've cruised at 90MPH on I-95 (which is rarely patrolled between the Beltway and HoCo MD, and when it is, it's in obvious locations).
Depends on the time of day.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Depends on the time of day.
That's true. When I find myself on I-95 it's usually 3PM-5PMish and 9-10PM and I never see police.

My point was there are no areas around here which are like Stuka's middle-of-nowhere freeway to the racetrack.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
That's true. When I find myself on I-95 it's usually 3PM-5PMish and 9-10PM and I never see police.

My point was there are no areas around here which are like Stuka's middle-of-nowhere freeway to the racetrack.
When I head home late from Columbia, that same southbound stretch of 29 will be empty. And the car somehow always finds itself going 100+ before I realize it.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
I guess that's one good thing about living in a "tax the crap out of everybody" state of CA, as Plaz can attest to. Speeding and cops are rarely an issue here.
I can, indeed, attest to that. One of the things I miss.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
TD
Founder emeritus

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...l-local-howard
Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #20
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
I came along a few minutes later. I saw the car had strange damage for a car-car collision. Now, it's obvious what took out the bumper and hood. And I think anyone who's watched those guys wander into oncoming traffic to pull people over saw this coming... unfortunately. Wow.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote