carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #21
JST

The M3 purchase was a bit emotional, but like I said, I do like driving it.

They’re very different flavors, but who wants to eat only apples or oranges every day?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #22
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Great write up.

I can't say I disagree, other than to say without an EV to actively compare and contrast, you don't notice the difference as much. I was close to punting on the M3 and waiting for a Model 3, but at the time I had to make the call it (the one I would want) wasn't officially out.

I have no regrets about the M3. I love it. Maybe I am, in effect, covering my ears while I speak of how awesome my M3 is, but if it is my last experience buying a new, great ICE car, so be it. I knew and mentioned when I was ordering the M3 that it would likely be my last new ICE purchase. That seems more and more the case.

The M3 purchase for me was more than just the car. It was a great family trip, memories, and scratching the itch of having an M3. I also think the car looks amazing, and while sleek and cool, the Teslas in general don't do much for me visually (in or out).

Soon enough the ICE vs EV choice won't (at least in practice from the performance perspective) exist anymore, so I am enjoying this last experience along with our boys.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #23
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I do still wonder what would have happened if I had bought an M2 instead of the Porsche. Maybe it would be the car collecting sap under the trees instead of the E46?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I do still wonder what would have happened if I had bought an M2 instead of the Porsche. Maybe it would be the car collecting sap under the trees instead of the E46?
You probably needed to get the Porsche out your system. But the M2 would be a worthy successor to your E46...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #25
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Good writeup, Josh. I have to admit the M3 purchase didn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I'm very meh on that car as an outside observer. I had a brief infatuation with an M2, and sat in one a few weeks ago, but it didn't really turn me on. I miss the low-beltline BMWs of old, and the M2 didn't have that feel from the driver's seat.

Matt - one of my Tesla-loving autocrosser friends says that the RWD Model 3 feels a lot more nimble on the road and is his preferred car for daily driving (he has a dual motor performance and a single motor car). I still can't quite wrap my head around the price of the dual-motor car. It doesn't strike me as overpriced, but it's just more than I can convince myself to spend, so I'm sort of sitting here in limbo. If what you say about the single-motor car (lagginess) is true, that would kind of seal the deal for me in favor of the dual-motor.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #26
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I miss the low-beltline BMWs of old...
Yes. This is so true. I guess we’re all safer, but it feels claustrophobic. I counter this by jacking up my seat as high as possible. I can do this because I’m 5.5. It’s obviously not a solution for taller folks. And it doesn’t entirely solve the problem for me either.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #27
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
(he has a dual motor performance and a single motor car)
Damn, he is a true Tesla fanboy.

Here's a video talking about the induction vs permanent magnet motors - once you get past the first 2 minutes of fart noises.

https://youtu.be/XzspO4-T7t4

But he admits it could also be in Tesla's throttle tuning to sell more of the performance models. If your friend loves his RWD maybe Tesla sent an OTA fix? Or he just doesn't mind gentle acceleration since he has a zipper version available when he wants it? Go drive both if his and report back!

I've never driven the non-performance AWD so I don't know where it falls on the spectrum.

More discussion (albeit old and possibly outdated) here
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...odel-3.123616/

Last edited by rumatt; 08-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #28
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
John -
I'd say go test drive both back-to-back -- Tesla should have both in stock and avail (although you might want to schedule it first...).

My 3 is a "regular" dual motor (not performance) and its great. I haven't driven a RWD 3 though.

When I got my S, only RWD was avail. I've had several dual motor S's as loaners. Hard to tell them apart in the dry, other than they accelerated faster (the S60 I had is the slowest Tesla ever made -- and it did 0-60 in ~5 seconds, so pretty much every loaner S I had over the years was faster...). I did have a loaner once where there was heavy rain on my way in to work, and the extra traction was noticeable.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #29
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
interesting write up, thanks for sharing. I should drive a model3 sometime. It probably would make the perfect daily driver for my wife. The only thing it wouldn't do well for us is get to the lake, but we take the dog all the time anyway, so we'd want a wagon/SUV in our stable for genral hauling duties regardless.

I'm interested in the answer to 'kogs' question above re: comparable insurance costs.
I'll also mention re: I-drive; have you tried the voice commands? On my friends new to him '15 335, you can just hit the button say "enter address xxxxxxxxx" and it nails it just about every time. It works quite well, and is worlds easier than using the I-drive input.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #30
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'll also mention re: I-drive; have you tried the voice commands? On my friends new to him '15 335, you can just hit the button say "enter address xxxxxxxxx" and it nails it just about every time. It works quite well, and is worlds easier than using the I-drive input.
Yes. I also use Siri and Apple Carplay to enter addresses. I use Google Maps when I want directions with highway, and I use Apple Maps for street routing.