carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/e46M/F10
Posts: 7,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Because it's twice as good as my E46, lol.

Got a chance to spend some seat time in my sister's E92 coupe. All I can say is "WOW". I LOVE the clutch feel, the buttery-smooth and short (compared to my car anyways) shifts of the 6-speed manual and tight/heavy steering.

It just feels more solid than my car........is it because it is slightly newer and has 50k less miles than mine ?? Perhaps.

"Welcome to 2007".

Great post. I've owned several e46's (along with the current M) and several e90's.

The e46 clutch (at least the 330i's that I was used to), were springy, long travel with high engagement. The e90 had better clutches. The shifters are smoother & more precise as well (again for the non-M).

Also, you are spot on in terms of solidity. The e9X is a much more solid car, what you are feeling is not only due to the lesser miles.

Negatives for the e9x:
- Interior design. Worse cupholders, flat Buick dash (before Buicks were Opels)
- Exterior. Not as bad as the interior, but not as classic/faultless as the e46
- Runflats and no room for a donut
- M became v8 (an awesome one but dropped hwy range dramatically)
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i
Location: NY
Posts: 15,269
I never noticed any negative of the E46 clutch other than the absurdly long travel. But I immediately installed a clutch stop in both the E46 and E91 so that's a non-issue.

I do agree the shifter is better in the E9x.

The rest I can't really compare because it's a 330i coupe vs a 325xi wagon.

The lack of a spare tire pisses me off to no end. There's always a spare tire back there clogging up the space. Ridiculous.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/e46M/F10
Posts: 7,169
True, its not like the e46 clutch was cheap, it wasnt. Really the two most major differences are 1. body solidity (huge, I always feel the e46 tweak on angles/driveways 2. N52/N54 instead of m52/m54 engines. Less NVH.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 19,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Great post. I've owned several e46's (along with the current M) and several e90's.

The e46 clutch (at least the 330i's that I was used to), were springy, long travel with high engagement. The e90 had better clutches. The shifters are smoother & more precise as well (again for the non-M).

Also, you are spot on in terms of solidity. The e9X is a much more solid car, what you are feeling is not only due to the lesser miles.

Negatives for the e9x:
- Interior design. Worse cupholders, flat Buick dash (before Buicks were Opels)
- Exterior. Not as bad as the interior, but not as classic/faultless as the e46
- Runflats and no room for a donut
- M became v8 (an awesome one but dropped hwy range dramatically)
I remember going from a ZHP 330i to the 335i back in the day. The extra power from the twin turbo engine was AMAZING, and yeah, the 335 felt more solid.

In every other respect the 330 was more fun to drive. I miss the ZHP. I don't miss the 335 at all.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 325xiT, '11 135i C, '13 X5 n55
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,691
Personally, I vastly preferred the clutch and shifter feel of the e8x and e9x cars to the e46 manuals. I find the steering more lively on my e46. The e9x x drive suspension had a huge flaw with the way it handles impacts like potholes
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'11 135i convertible
'13 X5 n55
'03 325 wagon
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #16
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i
Location: NY
Posts: 15,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Personally, I vastly preferred the clutch and shifter feel of the e8x and e9x cars to the e46 manuals.
Were early E46 clutches shitty or something? Or do I just not know what a shitty clutch feels like... and I need to educate myself ASAP so I can start hating my car?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 325xiT, '11 135i C, '13 X5 n55
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Were early E46 clutches shitty or something? Or do I just not know what a shitty clutch feels like... and I need to educate myself ASAP so I can start hating my car?
Not sure, I had an '00 328 and an '01 325. I also spent some time in a later ZHP prior to buying my m5. I agree with equ's comment about them feeling springy. The pedal load would change quite a lot as it traveled. I find the e8x and e9x clutches much more linear. I also felt like the engagement point would move in the e46, and/or that the engagement point was right where you'd overcome the springy load point making it hard to modulate.

If I were you, I wouldn't go around looking for things not to like on your 330... after all the work JV did, hopefully you can just hop in and enjoy it for a while. I love our e46 wagon, x suspension, auto tranny and all. It is the car we talk most about keeping forever.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'11 135i convertible
'13 X5 n55
'03 325 wagon
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i
Location: NY
Posts: 15,269
Oh yeah, I was just kidding. I won't be getting rid of the car any time soon.

Anyone who doesn't like their E46 clutch should try a clutch stop and adjust it nice and high. I'm pretty sure everything I've seen described goes away.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Oh yeah, I was just kidding. I won't be getting rid of the car any time soon.

Anyone who doesn't like their E46 clutch should try a clutch stop and adjust it nice and high. I'm pretty sure everything I've seen described goes away.
You know what else fixes the crummy e46 clutch/shifter - SMG.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #20
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i
Location: NY
Posts: 15,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
You know what else fixes the crummy e46 clutch/shifter
A crummier clutch/shifter?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC