carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '15 eGolf, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 20,309
C&D Lightning lap issue

Don't know if you guys got it/read it, but how well the E63 (sedan) did makes me want to buy one of these if I won the lottery.

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 E39 M5 / '06 C55 AMG
Location: Marin Ca
Posts: 4,219
Both the new M5 and E63 use trick diff's to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. Pretty slick since if you want to you can still do sick drifting then switch back to 4wd in the rain.
__________________
Searching
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 325xiT, '11 135i C, '13 X5 n55
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,781
For the sake of redundant posting... I have dirty thoughts about e63 wagons. So much want
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'11 135i convertible
'13 X5 n55
'03 325 wagon
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 19,536
The other story in the same article had a nice comparison between the E wagon and the GLE SUV (not the AMG versions).

I thought it was interesting because it came to the inevitable conclusion that the wagon is the better choice for driving and efficiency, but it blew past in an aside the fundamental advantage of the GLE for parents: it's wider and the back seat thus has more room for car seats.

Anyway, if I had to choose I'd pick the wagon, but there's a reason we ditched our E61 when we did. Not being able to take three toddlers in your car kind of sucks, if you have 2 or more toddlers and they have any friends.

But it's a slushbox so it doesn't even move the needle on my "desire" meter.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Not being able to take three toddlers in your car kind of sucks
We went through that. Solved the problem by buying a Nissan Armada (the "Ramada").
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
Plaz
•••••••
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M; '08 MCS; '02 325iT
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
We went through that. Solved the problem by buying a Nissan Armada (the "Ramada").


With three toddlers, you’re sure to find a free continental breakfast between the seat cushions/under the floor mats.
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,708
Those big wagons are kind of neat, but they make no sense without the third row that a similar sized SUV would have.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: turbo
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Those big wagons are kind of neat, but they make no sense without the third row that a similar sized SUV would have.
I think the e63 still has a third row
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The other story in the same article had a nice comparison between the E wagon and the GLE SUV (not the AMG versions).

I thought it was interesting because it came to the inevitable conclusion that the wagon is the better choice for driving and efficiency, but it blew past in an aside the fundamental advantage of the GLE for parents: it's wider and the back seat thus has more room for car seats.

Anyway, if I had to choose I'd pick the wagon, but there's a reason we ditched our E61 when we did. Not being able to take three toddlers in your car kind of sucks, if you have 2 or more toddlers and they have any friends.

But it's a slushbox so it doesn't even move the needle on my "desire" meter.
Does the E wagon still have the rear jump seat? We had the third row in our E71 but dumped it in the F15 to gain a spare tire. Haven't missed it, even though we used in a handful of times when we had it.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I think the e63 still has a third row
Beat me to it.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Lightning Lap JST Car Talk 63 02-19-2013 01:57 PM
C/D's Lightning Lap JST Car Talk 4 01-07-2011 07:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC