carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Rear-ended.

Not badly, so it appears. On the Jersey Turnpike 78 extension in Newark, about mid-way between the tolls and the Bayonne bridge. Stop and go traffic... inattentive driver in a 4Runner slammed into me.

I've definitely got some whiplash... I have a headache that won't quit, though the mild dizziness and nausea I had earlier has gone away. Will go see a doctor if the headache doesn't start to dissipate tomorrow.

The damage to the car really looks minimal... mostly just some gouges in the plastic bumper cover. A little bit of scuffing on the trunk lid, but not down to primer... probably buffable. Looks like typical valet parking damage... something I've already resigned myself to anyway, driving into NYC on a daily basis. It felt a LOT worse than it looks, though... trying to determine if I should go through the whole hassle of bringing it to a shop to follow through on the claim I started rolling this morning. The car feels fine... no new noises, no pulling, dragging, or anything. I'd rather not screw the guy who bumped me, and contribute to the out of control insurance situation in this state, if it's not necessary.

I'd like to take off the bumper cover this weekend and inspect underneath for structural damage, to make a more informed decision. Anyone have any tips on what to look for, besides the obvious?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
The HACK
Crotchety

If there are no damages to the bumper shocks, then you shouldn't have any structural damage. I'd take a look at the aluminum bumper support too to see if anything is bent there...Although it'd be easier to compare to a relatively unmolested bumper support (there are some odd bends in the support anyway).

I would see a doctor right away. Last time I was rear ended (like 10+ years ago) I had re-curring headaches and neck pains for a very long time.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
1) Sorry man, that sucks.

2) Seeing a doctor seems like a must, if nothing than to have it on the record in case something awful happens and you have trouble for a long time.

3) Why are worried about screwing the person who hit you? This person wasn't doing their job while driving and has caused you a lot of annoyances, and even physical harm. I'm not suggesting that you "go after them", but please do all of the preventative medical care and vehicle maintenance necessary... and bill every penny to this person.

4) I'd get the car looked at by a mechanic, and billed to the person. You could have a lot more damage than you think. Imagine finding out later that you have serious damage that was hidden (bent frame, etc).
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
I'm with Dan on this one...

Get yourself to a doctor ASAP!!!!!

And I'd also have the car inspected by a good mechanic. While it may not seem like there is any damage, there could be some hidden damage just waiting to rear it's ugly head later.

In both cases, better safe than sorry!
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

I agree.

1) Get to a doctor NOW. The other guy's insurance comapny wil pay for it.

2) Take the car to a dealer or other shop to have it looked at. DO NOT do it yourself. If you find extra damage, tehy may try to blame it on you.

3) Do NOT accept their first offer.

And make sure when you talk to the other guy's insurance company you mention teh injury. You will get MUCH better treatment.

Going rate around here is damage to car, plus medical expenses, plus 5 time medical expenses for pain and suffering.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
ff

Sorry to hear that, Plaz. I hope the headaches and dizziness don't linger. For sure, go see a doctor.

I'll agree with everything that's already been said. Tell your ins. agent that you'll be taking it to a shop to inspect for damage. There's a lot more to a bumper than just the cover, and shocks underneath. There's a honeycomb of plastic underneath that deforms/breaks to absorb impact. Once it absorbs impact, it needs to be replaced in order for the bumper to be fully effective again.

I'd think that your ins. agent would cover all expenses relating to repair of you and the car (well, duh...). And let them go after the other guy's insurance. I don't see how the other guy deserves a break, given that paying attention to the road ahead is such a simple task, and so [obviously] important at all times.

Take care of 'yerself, man.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Oh, man, what a pisser.

I agree with everything said already. If there's nothing wrong - with you or the car - you lose nothing and gain peace of mind by taking both to be looked at by professionals. If something is wrong - well, you want to make sure that a) it's taken care of and b) it's linked to this event, so the other guy's insurance covers it.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Hope your headache goes away soon, there aren't any other injuries and there isn't any real damamge. Sorry to hear it.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

that sucks

i say bend the guy over as far as you can and insert legal remedies as far as you can

and get as many good drugs from doc feelin' fine while you can...and enjoy them

about the car? just spray paint "Team WTF?!" on it. It won't happen again...people will know to back off.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Sorry man. Ditto on all the advice and well wishes from others. Take care.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote