carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Lotus Elise ice mode. Why isn't this a bigger deal?

It seems the Elise has an "ice mode" issue where the brake pedal stops responding and unless you have extra room to stop, you're screwed.

Here's an video of a dude on track losing his brakes.

Here's an Elise Talk thread discussing that it may be something related to a vacuum valve that gets messed up so the brake booster doesn't kick in.

If this is real, why isn't this a bigger deal? How can people be comfortable taking a car to the track if it has brakes that rely on a flaky vacuum valve?

Maybe it's just people overcooking their brakes and blaming it on something fake? But there seemed to be a lot of people reporting the problem.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
In that thread it sounds as though they're talking about two different things, perhaps. Sounds like a vacuum issue not related to abs, and what's typically referred to as ice mode, which is abs-related.

In the video, it looks like a seam and then some curbing are involved. Ice mode. My WRX would've done exactly the same thing. And, there are lots of other cars that it would happen to as well. Very attention-getting. And it sounds like what Randy Chase was talking about when he mentioned the bumpy autox course. Ripken's a very good place to discover the phenomenon.

OTOH, at least in the WRX's case and every other abs car I've driven, it is really easy to avoid it happening the second time. You pick grippy places to brake and not the non-grippy (and bumpy) bits. This is where a little time on a motorcycle or mountain bike can pay big dividends, as you'll learn to spot trouble areas sooner, or fall off.

The vacuum-related issue? That's way scarier.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I've had ice mode issues in both the M3 and the Vette.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That video looks just like what happened to me one winter day in the Saabaru. It was scary as hell. My car just didn't stop and blew past a stop sign on to "T" intersection. Fortunately there were no cars, but it could have been UGLY. I spent several days wondering what could have gone wrong never being able to explain it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote