carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
No Stick, No Sale?

The new releases at NAIAS got me thinking today. I'm trying to decide at what point (if ever) I give up on the no stick/no sale requirements for my fun car. The debut of the 4C spider is what really set my mind wandering. I think it is gorgeous and was daydreaming about it being a great replacement for the 1 when the girls get through college. But the fact that it can't be had with a manual made me pause. I don't think I could warm up to a flappy paddle.
The problem is so many cars I am lusting over these days are devoid of a manual (or nearly impossible to get). Everything from F-Types, to AMG cars, to used v8 Ferraris, are stick free. Realistically if I want to replace the 1 with something more sexy in a few years my two options are an M2 or a 981, maybe a v8 R8 or 991 but finding a convertible w/ a stick will be a needle in a haystack regardless of budget.

One thing that I don't get is we (this board community) seem like a pretty core demographic for this type of car and it seems like the vast majority of us prefer a manual. I understand auto makers eliminating manuals in volume cars, but I don't get not giving car people the car they want on niche vehicles. So I'm wondering how many here would buy a 'fun' car without a stick if the rest of it pulled at your heart strings?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
It's a tough question. I used to lust for a new 911 Turbo, then they stopped offering it with a manual. Now I lust for a Carrera GTS, with a manual. I think I'm still smitten with three pedals, for a fun car.

It used to be a requirement for *any* car that I would consider driving regularly, but I've softened a bit in that if I were to get a huge luxo-sedan (and still had a fun car, perhaps a two-seater with stick), I might not require three pedals in it. But that's still very much in the abstract.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I thought I missed the clutch/shifter experience, but I'm not so sure it really matters.

...but then I've had smg since before it was fashionable.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
hate to say but yeah sticks days are numbered for new cars for at least me. The new cars that still offer a stick now are starting to have significant worse gas mileage and performance compared to the slushy. So if the car was daily driven I would be very tempted to go slushy, weekend/fun cars stick to stick.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Oh no, definitely not excited about anything with a torque converter.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

The only vehicle without three pedals that I'd currently be willing to own is the Tesla.

We've managed to not stray as of yet, with both of our daily-drivers as well as our fun car all having three pedals. And as we're more or less past the phase of parenting where a large vehicle with a third row holds some appeal from a practicality standpoint, there's no real reason to cave.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
The only vehicle without three pedals that I'd currently be willing to own is the Tesla.

We've managed to not stray as of yet, with both of our daily-drivers as well as our fun car all having three pedals. And as we're more or less past the phase of parenting where a large vehicle with a third row holds some appeal from a practicality standpoint, there's no real reason to cave.
So you got rid of the e39?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
So you got rid of the e39?

That was very bonoboy of you.

My wording was very deliberate. We have the E39. It hasn't moved in months. Battery is dead. It's collecting road salt in front of the house.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
That was very bonoboy of you.

My wording was very deliberate. We have the E39. It hasn't moved in months. Battery is dead. It's collecting road salt in front of the house.
I bet your neighbors love that.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I bet your neighbors love that.

It's not an ugly car. It has mostly been living at my mom's since I got the Golf and she was alternating between driving it and her car. But one night around Christmas she had been at our house until late and she can't see well in the dark, so I drove her home in her car and drove the E39 back. It's been at our house since. We keep meaning to go drop it back off at her house, but with the frigid weather lately, we haven't felt like jumping it.

I do legally own it and I pay the registration and insurance. But we never drive it. And my mom won't let me sell it - since she still associates it with my dad.

Damn thing is going to be around for a while.