carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-29-2003, 09:02 AM   #1
JST

V70 T5 impressions

Took a long road-trip in a new V70 T5 over the weekend. I've driven a bunch of Volvos before (the V70 2.4T, the XC 70, the previous generation S70 T5, etc.) but never the current generation T5.

Overall, this is a very capable family hauler. It has plenty of power, even with the slushbox, and it's freaking enormous inside. We had four people loaded up for an 800 mile roundtrip, and there was plenty of space. The seats are among the most comfortable in automobiledom, and I like the high-quality, elegant interior.

Compared to the V70 2.4T and XC, the increased power is very evident (and welcome). On the highway especially, the T5 has a lot of reserve, and can easily maintain 90 mph in the mountains even with four passengers and a giant cargo bubble on the top (ask me how I know). The T5 also handles more confidently than these other cars, especially the XC.

Drawbacks? Yes, there are a few. The turbo 5 has a lot of grunt, but not much in the way of smoothness. At high revs under heavy boost, the T5's engine emits a stuttering, thundering blat that is only cool if you're into industrial chic. You floor it to generate Gs, not to hear the engine wind out. There's not really lag, per se, but the high-pressure turbo generate more power up top than down low, meaning that the fun stuff starts to really happen higher in the rev range.

The steering is probably the biggest downside--it has variable assist that is very noticeable, and is pretty numb at all speeds. Very little road feel makes its way to your hands. Moreover, there is not enough self-centering, and the car feels just as happy continuing along with 5 degrees of steering angle as it does with 0. Finally, the comfy seats have a very flat bottom cushion, and while they provide decent lateral support on the upper body, driving aggressively sort of feels like playing GT3 from a Barca lounger.

Bottom line? This isn't really a sports wagon like the 325iT. It's a big, comfortable family car with space that shames most SUVs and the ability to erase vast highway distances quickly and easily. Next to the V70, the M3 feels like a fighter jet, but if I had to pick one to take on a trip, the Volvo is the obvious choice.

I'm very interested to drive a Saab Aero to see how it compares.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:09 AM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

Re: V70 T5 impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
LOL. I'm pretty sure that can be arranged.

Although it would be the "lowly" 230HP version not the newer 250HP version.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST

Even the 230 hp version is probably adequate, esp. with a stick. Isn't the Volvo heavier?

-quick trip to carpoint-

Actually (surprisingly) it isn't. The V70 T5 is a veritable lightweight in this class; Carpoint gives it as 3488 lbs, which is exceptional for a mid-size wagon (the much smaller M3 coupe is 3415). The manual transmission 9-5 Aero wagon is 3620.

Huh.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST

Even the 230 hp version is probably adequate, esp. with a stick. Isn't the Volvo heavier?

-quick trip to carpoint-

Actually (surprisingly) it isn't. The V70 T5 is a veritable lightweight in this class; Carpoint gives it as 3488 lbs, which is exceptional for a mid-size wagon (the much smaller M3 coupe is 3415). The manual transmission 9-5 Aero wagon is 3620.

Huh.
Itersting. My parents have the XC and you know what that's like. We're leaning towards a slightly used MB E320 whenever it is that we are ready, but I always keep the V70T5 and V70R on my back pocket since they are cheaper.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST

-quick trip to carpoint-

Huh.
Itersting. My parents have the XC and you know what that's like. We're leaning towards a slightly used MB E320 whenever it is that we are ready, but I always keep the V70T5 and V70R on my back pocket since they are cheaper.
I haven't driven an E320 wagon, but the E320 sedan I drove was singularly unpleasant.* No body control, no steering feel, no power, and an interior that (like many recent MBs) just didn't feel nice enough to justify the cost. IMHO, all MBs are laughably overpriced, and the E320 is no exception.

I would buy a V70 T5 over an E320 in less time than it takes you to say "247 hp."

______
*In contrast, the E500 that I drove was pleasant, given the stiffer air suspension and the giant horsepower increase. But it's still not worth what they ask for it.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Interesting. My parents have the XC and you know what that's like. We're leaning towards a slightly used MB E320 whenever it is that we are ready, but I always keep the V70T5 and V70R on my back pocket since they are cheaper.
I haven't driven an E320 wagon, but the E320 sedan I drove was singularly unpleasant.* No body control, no steering feel, no power, and an interior that (like many recent MBs) just didn't feel nice enough to justify the cost. IMHO, all MBs are laughably overpriced, and the E320 is no exception.

I would buy a V70 T5 over an E320 in less time than it takes you to say "247 hp."

______
*In contrast, the E500 that I drove was pleasant, given the stiffer air suspension and the giant horsepower increase. But it's still not worth what they ask for it.
I agree. They are grossly overpriced.

If we get that cheap SUV and push off the wagon purchase to 2007 and after, then hopefully the 320CDI with 369 lb-ft of torque will be available. That should start at under 50K (still a lot, but more bearable). I am not thrilled with all the electro-crap they have put on that car, but it would be a luxury family wagon for my wife primarily, so it will be her call. I find the E-wagon to be beautiful and very practical and BIG. I always keep the Volvo T5/R in my back pocket because they are cheaper and combined with ED and my corporate savings I could get a new R or T5 for what I would pay for a 2-3 year old E-wagon. We'll see. I am yet to drive either since we are a ways off.

If the E320CDi is available and we can afford a 50K+ wagon, odds are we will do ED on one. Otherwise, it will be between a used E320/E500 or a new T5/R, and I have a feeling the $$$ saved alone will point us to the Volvos. They will likely be a new generation by then anyhow.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:01 PM   #7
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
If you think the M is like a fighter jet compared to the T5, you should try it compared to the V70 without the turbo. The Dog Hauler is not powerful, it is just big. The manual transmission helps though. You feel like you have *some* control.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote