carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #21
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I made sure to avoid all the intrusive "driving assistant" options on my 2 series.
Which options are you talking about ? Our 340 has pretty much every option and I wanted every safety option they offer such as the Pedestrian and frontal collision warning, the blind side assist, etc.

I think these are key features and I know some of them such as the blind side assist has saved my butt more than once. I wouldn't want a car without this feature if it is available.

OTOH the lane departure feature I find very annoying and turn it off on all of my cars especially in our Acura MDX which actually steers the car back into the lane.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The first thing I do when getting in a car that has that stuff is turn it all off. The auto braking thing is dangerous.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #23
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I’ve been driving for over 30y and never needed that stuff. Why do I need it now. I love the non intrusive safety features like great collision protection and airbags but when the car starts doing things for me or beeping all the time. No thanks.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #24
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I’ve been driving for over 30y and never needed that stuff. Why do I need it now. I love the non intrusive safety features like great collision protection and airbags but when the car starts doing things for me or beeping all the time. No thanks.
because you are supposed to be snapchatting while you drive
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #25
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
because you are supposed to be snapchatting while you drive
Right....because 30 years ago everyone else was paying attention also. I've had near-misses every day this week with morons who can't even be bothered to look before entering major roads.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #26
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Which options are you talking about ? Our 340 has pretty much every option and I wanted every safety option they offer such as the Pedestrian and frontal collision warning, the blind side assist, etc.

I think these are key features and I know some of them such as the blind side assist has saved my butt more than once. I wouldn't want a car without this feature if it is available.

OTOH the lane departure feature I find very annoying and turn it off on all of my cars especially in our Acura MDX which actually steers the car back into the lane.
I hate lane departure warning. We have that on the X5--actually we have a lot of the features on the X5 because my spouse wanted HUD, and these things come as a package.

The 2 series offers only the Driving Assistance Package. It is missing useful features like Blind Spot detection and HUD. Instead it offers only the things I really DON'T want, including the auto braking (a.k.a :Collision Mitigation):

"Experience increased peace of mind behind the wheel with an attractive bundle of features that significantly enhance driver, passenger, and vehicle safety. Maximize safety with Lane Departure Warning, Pedestrian and Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation. All provide varying degrees of automated braking assistance based on speed conditions. Finally, Speed Limit Info shows posted speed limits on the instrument cluster display."

I'm glad to have park distance control and a rear view camera (would like a front camera, too, which might have convinced me to buy that steep driveway lake house.) Glad to have airbags, too, now that I've purged all the Takata cars from the fleet.

Last edited by wdc330i; 04-26-2018 at 04:02 PM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I would not consider PDC a safely feature but yeah I won’t have a car without it any more. I’m soooooo used to it. That’s one beep I can handle.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #28
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
We specifically decided to go with the lower “Premium” model of CrossTrek because the “Limited” had way too many technical monitors (blind spot / cross traffic warning / lane departure warning / etc). It would have been nice to have leather interior but we are happy with the cloth.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #29
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

The argument is being made that everyone will be safer if we just let computers take over. Traffic will merge more efficiently, we'll never have accidents (in theory), and everyone will be able to Facebook and eat cereal instead of pay attention. I hate it but it's almost a certainty.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #30
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I've had near-misses every day this week with morons who can't even be bothered to look before entering major roads.
Because they're snapchatting. These are the poster children for the move to autonomous cars. And it can't come fast enough, from my perspective.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote