carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
What places won't the Tesla go?

Option 1a of replacing the VW with another Tesla 3 instead of E90/F30 seems to make a lot of sense.
Few, at this point. But edge case scenarios where I want to go someplace where there isn't a charger.

It's difficult, infrastructure-wise, to plug two cars in at my house, so moving to a 2 Tesla household is still tricky. Plus the E90/F30 option would probably be cheaper.

To JV: yeah, ultimately it will be her decision.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Few, at this point. But edge case scenarios where I want to go someplace where there isn't a charger.

It's difficult, infrastructure-wise, to plug two cars in at my house, so moving to a 2 Tesla household is still tricky. Plus the E90/F30 option would probably be cheaper.

To JV: yeah, ultimately it will be her decision.
The Alfa Quads are very tempting. There's one that drives by me on a regular basis and taunts me- what a sweet sounding car.

As for sticks, maybe that e90 wagon from EAG? Just kidding. Since equ happens to have that 535 for sale it might be worth a look. If not, maybe an e90 335i? B8 S4 manual? b7 S4 wagon manual (granted that's probably a masochistic choice). What about an STI hatch with a stick?

Do you have any must-haves or things you don't like? What apsects of the Golf bore you? Do you want something cheaper/more practical/dont have to think about it or something higher maintanence/higher performing?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The Alfa Quads are very tempting. There's one that drives by me on a regular basis and taunts me- what a sweet sounding car.

As for sticks, maybe that e90 wagon from EAG? Just kidding. Since equ happens to have that 535 for sale it might be worth a look. If not, maybe an e90 335i? B8 S4 manual? b7 S4 wagon manual (granted that's probably a masochistic choice). What about an STI hatch with a stick?

Do you have any must-haves or things you don't like? What apsects of the Golf bore you? Do you want something cheaper/more practical/dont have to think about it or something higher maintanence/higher performing?
I mean, what it comes down to is that if it's mostly my car, I want something like a Quad or a 911. If it's mostly hers, she'd prefer something lower-strung. The Golf R is a really nice balance; the Focus RS, e.g., is a little too boy racer.

STI doesn't really interest me. I had one a while ago and it had its charms but they were limited.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

The 2.0 Giulia has been a remarkably fun and practical car to drive.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Stupid question . . . If they are making you pay for it, do they have to put factory stuff in it?

How much would they charge for diagnostics if you tell them you want to pick it up tomorrow (and take it somewhere who will install better parts?)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Stupid question . . . If they are making you pay for it, do they have to put factory stuff in it?

How much would they charge for diagnostics if you tell them you want to pick it up tomorrow (and take it somewhere who will install better parts?)
I don't think they've done anything to it yet, so presumably I could do this, but a) I'd like to try and get some warranty or goodwill on it, and b) I'm not sure what "better" parts are; ppl on Vortex have thoughts, but what might seem like a reasonable noise low effort flywheel/clutch combo to them probably wouldn't to me and certainly wouldn't to my wife.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean, what it comes down to is that if it's mostly my car, I want something like a Quad or a 911. If it's mostly hers, she'd prefer something lower-strung. The Golf R is a really nice balance; the Focus RS, e.g., is a little too boy racer.

STI doesn't really interest me. I had one a while ago and it had its charms but they were limited.
I see. It's clear you really want a 911 and it's unlikely that any "halfway" solution is going to make you any happier than the Golf R. An F30 or E90 is likely to have different expensive issues that will annoy you and I doubt you'll be happier driving it after the "newness" of it wears off. An M2 is likely going to be too high strung for you wife, and you'll still just crave a 911 . But, I doubt the 911 is going to be able to act as the "road trip" car, so i think that kind of takes it off the table for now. Unfortunately, option 3 might be your best bet-- just pick the least distasteful choice from the list of cars your wife would consider. My guess would be some type of Mazda w/ a stick. It doesnt sound like you actually need to drive it that much in reality. A Stinger would probably be overkill for her and you likely wouldn't enjoy much anyway since it wouldn't have a stick (also your wife might be like mine and just not like the way it looks). Maybe you can score a good lease deal on a Genesis G70 w/ a stick?

Last edited by robg; 05-08-2019 at 06:48 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #18
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
If you get the 911 and you need to go somewhere with 3 people and no superchargers, what will you do?

If you have a solution to that problem then trade the Golf and Boxster for a 911 stat. You want one. Life is short. It's time.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I have nice, big, comfy 535i for sale. Buy that and a 911. Then sell Golf R & Boxster (that's my biased advice).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #20
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Buying the 535 seems like a great interim solution.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote