carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #121
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Thanks! regular dealer offered me close to what Carvana offered.

Focus is history

Now, I need to make some progress...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #122
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Now, I need to make some progress...

Ahem.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #123
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Ahem.
A "nothing's happened yet" update…

Carvana started buying cars again everywhere on May 11. Their offer that day was $15.3. Today was $16.6 (and it's been in a $50 spread the past few days after spending eight days in a $60 spread just over $16.0). I've been re-locking each day which restarts a 7 days clock to take some kind of step.

My hope is that I can work out a deal to buy something in the 7-day window. While sitting on a $16.6 offer from Carvana, I'd be happy to take a $15.6 on trade where I buy a car and come just a little short on sales tax savings, but save an equivalent value bunch of hassle. The biggest problem is the lack of cars available to buy.

I've expanded what I'm willing to buy a bit (I'm now including red cars, and will consider 2SS trims and lack of PDR for the right price), but supply is still really tight. On the other hand, dealers started listing new cars "in transit" on Wednesday, which suggests that cars are actually being built and coming off the line.

On the used front, a lot more cars are showing up now than a few months ago. The ones with aggressive ask prices sell in just a couple days. Ones with high ask prices linger. Ones in between, sell with some time. There are a couple still in my tracker that I contacted in February and they laughed me off.

Overall, these cars are selling. 26 cars in my tracker sold between 5/22 (Friday of Memorial Day weekend) and yesterday.

As of today, there are 3 new cars (1 "in transit") within 500 miles. Expanded to 1,100, 8 total (2 total in transit). Of those, there are only 3 that I'd feel good about.

There are also 8 used cars within 512 miles. Expanding to 1,100 miles, there are 15 used cars. Of those, there are two I will probably contact. One was "just listed" and has no pics, details, or pricing, so it could be a contender.

In comparison. There were about 30 new cars in my preferred config plus maybe 1 or 2 used on any given day in mid-February. Cars would sell, but new ones would show up. Supply was pretty constant from December (when I first started paying daily attention) through mid/late March when everything went weird.

I'm also questioning whether a I still want to buy a Camaro. The 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is something I think I need to think about. A used C7 GS seems to make more sense every day.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #124
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
A "nothing's happened yet" update…

Carvana started buying cars again everywhere on May 11. Their offer that day was $15.3. Today was $16.6 (and it's been in a $50 spread the past few days after spending eight days in a $60 spread just over $16.0). I've been re-locking each day which restarts a 7 days clock to take some kind of step.

My hope is that I can work out a deal to buy something in the 7-day window. While sitting on a $16.6 offer from Carvana, I'd be happy to take a $15.6 on trade where I buy a car and come just a little short on sales tax savings, but save an equivalent value bunch of hassle. The biggest problem is the lack of cars available to buy.

I've expanded what I'm willing to buy a bit (I'm now including red cars, and will consider 2SS trims and lack of PDR for the right price), but supply is still really tight. On the other hand, dealers started listing new cars "in transit" on Wednesday, which suggests that cars are actually being built and coming off the line.

On the used front, a lot more cars are showing up now than a few months ago. The ones with aggressive ask prices sell in just a couple days. Ones with high ask prices linger. Ones in between, sell with some time. There are a couple still in my tracker that I contacted in February and they laughed me off.

Overall, these cars are selling. 26 cars in my tracker sold between 5/22 (Friday of Memorial Day weekend) and yesterday.

As of today, there are 3 new cars (1 "in transit") within 500 miles. Expanded to 1,100, 8 total (2 total in transit). Of those, there are only 3 that I'd feel good about.

There are also 8 used cars within 512 miles. Expanding to 1,100 miles, there are 15 used cars. Of those, there are two I will probably contact. One was "just listed" and has no pics, details, or pricing, so it could be a contender.

In comparison. There were about 30 new cars in my preferred config plus maybe 1 or 2 used on any given day in mid-February. Cars would sell, but new ones would show up. Supply was pretty constant from December (when I first started paying daily attention) through mid/late March when everything went weird.

I'm also questioning whether a I still want to buy a Camaro. The 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is something I think I need to think about. A used C7 GS seems to make more sense every day.
For pure ability I’d say C7 GS. I don’t know how this would ruin your SCCA experience though.

Corvette is so much lighter. It does about everything better dynamically.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #125
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Hertz was asking almost 78K for This a few weeks ago.

May 21st price in this article https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports...ro-zl1-coupes/
Old 06-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #126
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

May 21st price in this article https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports...ro-zl1-coupes/
Hertz's C7's are on the west coast, and much higher miles (too much for a rental car in my book)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #127
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
For pure ability I’d say C7 GS. I don’t know how this would ruin your SCCA experience though.

Corvette is so much lighter. It does about everything better dynamically.
Quote:

Quote:
Hertz's C7's are on the west coast, and much higher miles (too much for a rental car in my book)
Hertz is a non-starter for a bunch of reasons, stupid high ask prices just being one.

C7 GS is a real long shot. As much as I'd enjoy one, there are a ton of reasons why I don't want one.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #128
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Hertz is a non-starter for a bunch of reasons, stupid high ask prices just being one.

C7 GS is a real long shot. As much as I'd enjoy one, there are a ton of reasons why I don't want one.
I figured Hertz was a non starter, just posted to show their huge price drop in three weeks.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #129
lemming
Western Anomaly

Camaro SS 1LE

For Clyde.

https://youtu.be/wdmKb-pDxWg

Old 06-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #130
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Camaro SS 1LE

For Clyde.

https://youtu.be/wdmKb-pDxWg
:yawn:

I don't think I could care any less about track performance, much less some random video from some random youtuber competing in the HPDE Championship against other random people that may or may not be competing for the same championship.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?