carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
BMW X1 - as a loaner

While the ZHP was in the shop having its snows shod, its spit and shine and a few other details, the local dealer gave me a brand new X1, put into service only a few days ago.

It was the four cylinder model with 17's, but something called "the ultimate package", which is essentially every option on top of an already well-optioned car - that added about 10k worth of gizmology and luxo features. Including a white, metallic paint finish that was quite nice.

So what was it like?

Not bad at all, in fact, I really liked it. It's small and nimble, the doors are light and small, the seats were comfy (part of the 10k package), it had plenty of room and it handled and drove really nicely - I was surprised at how quickly I could take some of my usual corners with very little body roll.

The driving position was just right; perhaps because Im so used to sitting down so low in the ZHP, it's always a novelty to me when I get in these taller vehicles, but it feels nice in traffic, and visibility is good.

The engine's a bit gruff - but it's responsive, and the 8 speed auto is quite good - none of those problems of yore with weird shift points etc. No exhaust note to speak of, but in a vehicle of this type, who cares.

If I were in the market now, I'd definitely consider this car, perhaps it's old age setting in, but it's nice to flip open a (smaller, lighter) door - with "comfort access" (no key), touch the nav screen, flip on the heated seats and steering wheel, and just cruise effortlessly, and still have some handling prowess - more than enough for suburban driving, anyway - plus all that room and utility.

42 grand is a lot of money ... and it looks a bit ungainly on 17's, but it rides really well (I don't think 18's would be a good choice) - I can see why the small ute market is so popular now, the X1, Audi's Q3, the VW Tiquan and now Mercedes has an entry ... they're good vehicles for today's mid market, and appealing.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
While the ZHP was in the shop having its snows shod, its spit and shine and a few other details, the local dealer gave me a brand new X1, put into service only a few days ago.

It was the four cylinder model with 17's, but something called "the ultimate package", which is essentially every option on top of an already well-optioned car - that added about 10k worth of gizmology and luxo features. Including a white, metallic paint finish that was quite nice.

So what was it like?

Not bad at all, in fact, I really liked it. It's small and nimble, the doors are light and small, the seats were comfy (part of the 10k package), it had plenty of room and it handled and drove really nicely - I was surprised at how quickly I could take some of my usual corners with very little body roll.

The driving position was just right; perhaps because Im so used to sitting down so low in the ZHP, it's always a novelty to me when I get in these taller vehicles, but it feels nice in traffic, and visibility is good.

The engine's a bit gruff - but it's responsive, and the 8 speed auto is quite good - none of those problems of yore with weird shift points etc. No exhaust note to speak of, but in a vehicle of this type, who cares.

If I were in the market now, I'd definitely consider this car, perhaps it's old age setting in, but it's nice to flip open a (smaller, lighter) door - with "comfort access" (no key), touch the nav screen, flip on the heated seats and steering wheel, and just cruise effortlessly, and still have some handling prowess - more than enough for suburban driving, anyway - plus all that room and utility.

42 grand is a lot of money ... and it looks a bit ungainly on 17's, but it rides really well (I don't think 18's would be a good choice) - I can see why the small ute market is so popular now, the X1, Audi's Q3, the VW Tiquan and now Mercedes has an entry ... they're good vehicles for today's mid market, and appealing.
the X1 is built upon the e90 platform (or F30?), so it should literally drive like a 3 series wagon (taller though).

obviously that may change in the future and it might go FWD, but for now, it's a 'real' BMW chassis.

i'm less fond of the haldex based cute-utes because they obviously drive like Civics on steroids, but i agree with you, the X1 drives decently.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Current X1 is essentially a slightly taller E91. The next X1 goes in the new FWD platform. The spy pics actually don't look bad and I'm imagining we'll only see it here in AWD version.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

pretty hard to spend 41K on a Tiguan.

Even nicely loaded R line models barely make it to 40K.

But I get your point
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I hadn't seen one of these until the other day. How did they manage to make an E90 look so tragic?

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Seriously. The x1 makes the x3 look like a stunner - and that's not easy to do.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote