carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #101
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Looks like some people are starting to post dyno runs with their Teslas...

Here's a report on the regular 85kWh version... The 60 that I'm getting won't peak quite so high though...

Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #102
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
does the instantaneous torque of electric motors confuse the dyno?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #103
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #104
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
..that's the awesome.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #105
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
does the instantaneous torque of electric motors confuse the dyno?
Possibly -- that's probably why the dyno shows that peak torque is at 2190 RPM, instead of from at 0 (or 1...).

But then again, that might explain why Tesla abandoned the idea of putting a transmission in their cars -- the early Roadsters (first ~25 or so) had a 2-speed transmission that kept failing due to the torque. The early Roadsters were retrofitted with a fixed gear instead, which continued for the rest of the Roadsters and to the Model S.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #106
ZBB
Relic

The bots already posted this, but Tesla modified their financing / residual guarantee offer today.

Biggest change to the residual is that the buyback guarantee from 36-39 months is no longer based on the 42% of an S-Class MB, but instead on the highest resale between similarly-priced MB, BMW, Audi and Jaguar. Looking at the details, they are offering it at 50% of the base price, plus 42% on the options (see here: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/def...-guarantee.pdf), which would put the residual on my config at 49%. Not a bad bump.

The other change is that they are now offering financing up to 72 months and 15% down -- the original offer was up to 63 months with 10% down. I'm not borrowing nearly as much, and will not borrow for more than 60 months (I might do 48 or 54 instead though...) -- so this has no impact on my financial model...
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #107
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
The bots already posted this, but Tesla modified their financing / residual guarantee offer today.

Biggest change to the residual is that the buyback guarantee from 36-39 months is no longer based on the 42% of an S-Class MB, but instead on the highest resale between similarly-priced MB, BMW, Audi and Jaguar. Looking at the details, they are offering it at 50% of the base price, plus 42% on the options (see here: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/def...-guarantee.pdf), which would put the residual on my config at 49%. Not a bad bump.

The other change is that they are now offering financing up to 72 months and 15% down -- the original offer was up to 63 months with 10% down. I'm not borrowing nearly as much, and will not borrow for more than 60 months (I might do 48 or 54 instead though...) -- so this has no impact on my financial model...
i saw that the other day.

it's pretty cool.

there's no other way around it, the car is pricey, so bolstering the residual is a nice gesture.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #108
ZBB
Relic

Update time...

I received the title for the Boxster in the mail yesterday. Timely, since I received the "Your Model S is Almost Here" email today.

That email includes the link to finalize delivery address, trade-in, financing, etc.

Delivery window is May 24 to June 7. That's ~6 weeks earlier than I was expecting...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #109
robg
Carmudgeon

Finally made it to a tesla store and sat in one over the weekend. What a gorgeous car! Got me doing all sorts of calculations. Only thing I'm not sure about is the giant touch screen. Loved everything else
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #110
ZBB
Relic

Oh... One other thing. I'm going to call Tesla to ask for delivery after June 1. AZ sales tax goes down by 1% on June 1, so I really don't want to pay the higher tax rate...