carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Talk about gloves being annoying - I had to find a lost latex finger during the vette engine tear down.
Ugh. That suuuuuuucks.

That's what I don't like about exam gloves. They tear easily, and after a while my hands feel nasty and sweaty.

I like mechanics gloves more for moving heavy things or torquing down things where I could smash a knuckle.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Talk about gloves being annoying - I had to find a lost latex finger during the vette engine tear down.
Dude, don't finger your car.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
kognito
older fart than ZBB

at least the latex finger was empty
Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
at least the latex finger was empty

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Well, got to use the lift for real this weekend. No leaks on the fixed coolant system so I flushed the distilled water and added antifreeze. Also did an oil and air filter change and changed the rear brakes, pads and sensor.

The rear calipers have that annoying twist and push system for the piston, so you need a tool to make life easier (I bought that ahead of time). The PITA was the sensor. The freakin' cable is 4 feet long and is routed to the bowels of the chassis, and requires cutting three tie wraps which are a PITA to replace due to access.

Anyhow, did a brake fluid flush too, and that was interesting. I'm used to new brake fluid looking like clean vegetable cooking oil. The BMW/Mini stuff looks like olive oil - closer to what used brake fluid looks like, in my experience. Anyhow, the old stuff looked almost brownish. Sadly, I did not get a noticeable improvement in brake feel/pedal firmness, though with the new hardware, the car does fell better and seems to stop better (my wife thinks it's a huge improvement).

Very happy wit the lift and the garage setup (though now I realize I have to relocate a few times within the garage). The brake job and flush went by quickly with all wheels off the car simultaneously and at a comfortable height. Taking off/putting on wheels is a joke too.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #26
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, got to use the lift for real this weekend. No leaks on the fixed coolant system so I flushed the distilled water and added antifreeze. Also did an oil and air filter change and changed the rear brakes, pads and sensor.

The rear calipers have that annoying twist and push system for the piston, so you need a tool to make life easier (I bought that ahead of time). The PITA was the sensor. The freakin' cable is 4 feet long and is routed to the bowels of the chassis, and requires cutting three tie wraps which are a PITA to replace due to access.

Anyhow, did a brake fluid flush too, and that was interesting. I'm used to new brake fluid looking like clean vegetable cooking oil. The BMW/Mini stuff looks like olive oil - closer to what used brake fluid looks like, in my experience. Anyhow, the old stuff looked almost brownish. Sadly, I did not get a noticeable improvement in brake feel/pedal firmness, though with the new hardware, the car does fell better and seems to stop better (my wife thinks it's a huge improvement).

Very happy wit the lift and the garage setup (though now I realize I have to relocate a few times within the garage). The brake job and flush went by quickly with all wheels off the car simultaneously and at a comfortable height. Taking off/putting on wheels is a joke too.
Wouldn't you rather be working on this?

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/10/26/...z-190e-2-3-16/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Wouldn't you rather be working on this?

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/10/26/...z-190e-2-3-16/
That looks awesome. But after all the money spent on the garage, I'll have to pass on stuff like that for a while.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That looks awesome. But after all the money spent on the garage, I'll have to pass on stuff like that for a while.
Not if you sold me your Turbo.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Not if you sold me your Turbo.
That possibility is non-zero if I'm honest, but I hope to delay it as much as possible.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #30
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
You bought BMW / Mini brake fluid?!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote