carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #31
Alan
Carmudgeon

It’s funny I just sent some questions to them as I was thinking about it this morning and then I came here and saw your post ...

You are absolutely right I am not happy with having only a 2 1/4 car garage, I was just having this conversation with my wife the other day but we love our house and don’t want to move.

I would love to build another garage but I am already expanded on both sides and don’t have the room for it, kinda sucks because I live on a little under an acre. One of the extensions is a 400 sq ft room that would make a great garage and my wife suggested we do this if I want but that room is a really cool theater room and I really don’t want to turn it into a garage.

I’m going to still check into this a little more ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #32
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Are there any offsite storage options that would work for you? I'm thinking a multi-car garage location within 30 mins of your place that you could rotate cars in / out of. If that doesn't work, I think Clyde makes a lot of great points (many similar ones you were making to me re: the 911), stop waiting / brain f-ing the decision and do it. Once you've spent the money, it will not seem nearly as expensive and it will solve a problem that has bugged you for years. Also, I would NOT cheap out on something that will be holding ~4000lbs over top of my family and something else worth a combined $200k...
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #33
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It’s funny I just sent some questions to them as I was thinking about it this morning and then I came here and saw your post ...

You are absolutely right I am not happy with having only a 2 1/4 car garage, I was just having this conversation with my wife the other day but we love our house and don’t want to move.

I would love to build another garage but I am already expanded on both sides and don’t have the room for it, kinda sucks because I live on a little under an acre. One of the extensions is a 400 sq ft room that would make a great garage and my wife suggested we do this if I want but that room is a really cool theater room and I really don’t want to turn it into a garage.

I’m going to still check into this a little more ...
Do you actually use the theater room? And if so, is there anything preventing you from building, say, a theater room behind the new garage space?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #34
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Do you actually use the theater room? And if so, is there anything preventing you from building, say, a theater room behind the new garage space?
Or, even atop a new garage? Or other creative solutions.

Too bad lupinsea hasn't been here in over a year.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #35
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
If you want to build/add on to your garage, as Clyde suggests, my advice would be to wait for an economic downturn/slowdown in the housing market. The current boom has contractors short-handed and charging top dollar. The price of building materials is also escalating exponentially.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #36
Alan
Carmudgeon

Believe me I have thought of any and every possibility of building another garage, directly behind the theater room (aka my dogs bedroom ) it is completely finished with pavers, retaining walls, sitting area with a fire pit, plus my pool is after that.

My home is a ranch so I can't build up ... I considered that when my kids were young but I feel I missed that boat many years ago being the kids are older and not around as much and I really don't need more living space.

I've been giving this a lot of thought and I think the 2 things holding me back from getting a lift are:

1) I drive both sports cars multiple times a week, having access to them now is easy, with a lift I now need to move a car form the bottom, lower and then remove the car from the top and then pull the unused car back in ... I know myself I just won't drive whichever car is on the top because it is a PIA

2) I don't know if I am crazy about having this big lift in my garage taking up room, it changes the whole feel of it. It is only a 2 1/4 garage ...

Kind of like when I had the tire balancer machines, it sounded like a fun idea but I really did not like the fact it took up so much garaqe space.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #37
dan
redefined

Park one or two in the driveway
Old 02-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #38
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Are there any offsite storage options that would work for you? I'm thinking a multi-car garage location within 30 mins of your place that you could rotate cars in / out of. If that doesn't work, I think Clyde makes a lot of great points (many similar ones you were making to me re: the 911), stop waiting / brain f-ing the decision and do it. Once you've spent the money, it will not seem nearly as expensive and it will solve a problem that has bugged you for years. Also, I would NOT cheap out on something that will be holding ~4000lbs over top of my family and something else worth a combined $200k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Park one or two in the driveway
It's not a space issue, my driveway can hold all the cars (currently 4 sit outside and 2 are in the garage), it's more of a spoiled want issue.

Also I completely agree Josh about the money part ...
Old 02-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #39
Alan
Carmudgeon

So the company got back to me and there is no room to open the drivers door if I go with the single post which means I would have to take Phil's advice and back the cars in ... I really don't like the idea of that so I started to check out the 4 post option ... I would like the foot print to be as little as possible.

One option:

https://aclifts.com/lifts/voyager-4-post-car-lift/

It looks like I can get casters and make the lift mobile though I don't know if I would bother ... also looks like it is free standing so I don’t need to have it bolted down.

This one would run roughly $5k to $6K depending if I go with the Rolling jack which from my understanding allows me to change my wheels if I need to ... someone please let me know if I am correct on this.

Also I am considering this company since they are local
https://aceshopequipment.com/car-lif...dential-lifts/

I did contact Bendpak and will check out their products too ... any advice or feedback would be appreciated ... I really do not know anything about lifts.

Also just to add I am going to have the garage floor redone, I had it done about 8 yrs ago and they did a horrible job, the floor looks terrible so I found a place that seems reputable that will do it, it seems to be the same 2-3 day job I had before but their products hopefully are better ... they are charging about $3,000 which is the same I paid 8 yrs ago so I believe that price is good

I think I would get the floor done first then have the lift installed ... thoughts ?
Old 02-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #40
Nick M3
Relic

If by getting the floor done, you mean epoxy or some similar coating, do it after. They may need to do concrete work, depending on what lift you eventually end up with.

Also, living around a four post lift is HORRIBLE.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote