carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Equ's 5er

Brought the "beater" home.
The love & care begins as I left it at a decent detail shop this morning.
Tires to go on soon.

120 mile review:
+ Really nice on the highway, much better than e46.
+ Engine responsive in most everyday driving
+ Better mileage than either of my 330s
+ Finally lumbar, my back is happy
+ Vibration almost negligible after some driving so some of it must have been flatspots (I think new tires will solve the remainder)

- If I don't focus, I get some soft bucking in 1st (Perhaps this is due to the smaller engine? The bmw tech's car did a bit too. I may need more gas to launch, not sure. )
- A bit weaker acceleration than I'm used (Yes, I knew that but I guess this is a plus for passengers)
- Stereo sucks. I don't meant the tape on the HU or the CD-Nav (). It's the sound. Never realized HK was a real improvement.

o Bad squeak from rear deck (fixed this morning with tiny quantities of lube sprayed into the latch points).
o Speedometer shows a solid 5 to 6% above Garmin. Odometer (yes I checked that separately) seems to be 3% off gps measured distances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0508 (Large).jpg
Views:	362
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1681  
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

And yes, I overpaid. But I wanted the low mile high option one owner gem - even if not perfect.

Quite interesting story actually as the seller called me early Sunday (while I was sleeping off a rough night out). She said that another buyer was coming at noon and I would need to get my act together (as I think she really wanted to sell it to me and had promised to keep it for me). Well after a rushed run with the Subie (kept it floored for minutes at a time on I-684 - good thing that only takes it to 95-100) I got there to see that the other buyers were already there. There was a Mexican standoffish triangle, the selling couple, my gf & I and the other buyers. The seller kept the original price, I drove it for a few minutes and saw that it was not at all different from the well maintained 528 and that was it.

When I took delivery last night, I saw a bottle of champagne in a nice red velvet carrier with a golden bowtie. Isn't it nice to deal with people instead of dealers?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Congrats! What year / model?

I also have the speedo error on my '03 530i -- except mine is always ~4mph high vs the Garmin. I haven't noticed any issues with the odo though (reports the same as the GPS and with odo check mileage markers).
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Thanks. 2000 528i.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Cool.
Yes - it is nice to deal with 'good' people.

Funny story-
After I sold my Mercedes diesel several years ago... After cleaning out a junk door at home, I found an ignition key to that car several months later (maybe even a couple of years). These keys are ~$75 each - so I mailed it to him.
I received a very nice letter in return thanking me and asking when I was going to sell him his next car.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
Cool.
Yes - it is nice to deal with 'good' people.

Funny story-
After I sold my Mercedes diesel several years ago... After cleaning out a junk door at home, I found an ignition key to that car several months later (maybe even a couple of years). These keys are ~$75 each - so I mailed it to him.
I received a very nice letter in return thanking me and asking when I was going to sell him his next car.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
When I took delivery last night, I saw a bottle of champagne in a nice red velvet carrier with a golden bowtie. Isn't it nice to deal with people instead of dealers?
Very nice! Always a big plus when dealing with decent people.

Every inviadulal I have ever privately purchased a vehicle from screws me some how. This includes nearly every encounter I have had with some long standing club members. There is one exception though, the original owner of my '88 M3. Super nice guy and a total BMW fanatic. We actually speak 2-3 times a year and to my understanding he has visited the M3 a few times while it is in the Zentrum. I have not even gone to see it. As you all know, you can not trust anyone when purchasing a vehicle, new or used. Shady fockers!

BTW, is that Sienna Red?

Last edited by SCA; 11-15-2006 at 07:07 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

It's Royal Red Metallic (Siena (sp?) is a lot lighter).

Yes, there are many little scratches that I didn't bother to see and they certainly didn't point out. I will see a mechanic this weekend (I know, I know, I should have done a PPI - but it's hard to schedule these things). We'll see what greater dirt lies beneath. Expect to take out CDV as a first step...

ZBB: I saw a 4mph error at 80, it's possible it's a combination of an offset and a percentage. One would need to do a plot of real speeds vs. bmw odo speeds to calibrate the speedometer.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

ZBB: I saw a 4mph error at 80, it's possible it's a combination of an offset and a percentage. One would need to do a plot of real speeds vs. bmw odo speeds to calibrate the speedometer.
Yep -- that's where I get my error also -- 75mph on the Garmin is ~79mph indicated. 80 indicated shows 76 on the garmin...

I haven't done the plot, but I've also noticed 4mph at about 40mph -- so mine seems to be a constant error, not a percentage...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Yep -- that's where I get my error also -- 75mph on the Garmin is ~79mph indicated. 80 indicated shows 76 on the garmin...

I haven't done the plot, but I've also noticed 4mph at about 40mph -- so mine seems to be a constant error, not a percentage...
That's weird. Maybe that's a hidden feature. The law enforcement buffer feature.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote