carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #81
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I thought the lack of an LSD in my Boxster would be annoying, but to be honest I haven't really noticed it. Only in the rain, and I don't typically drive the car when it's raining. It seems like an easy addition if you already have the transaxle out to do a clutch, and supposedly the clutches on these cars are only good for about 60k (I'm closing in on 70k and the clutch feels great, so who knows). The Sport Chrono engine programming can be added to any Boxster or Cayman without the stupid clock on the dash. Supposedly that provides some real benefits to the stability control and brake differential, but I haven't experienced it personally. For the street I suspect I won't care. Heated seats are kind of a "meh" for us. They're helpful about 2% of the time I drive the car, and that's in a convertible. In a coupe I suspect I really wouldn't care at all.

I do like having full leather, and I'd definitely want to try the sport seats if I got another 987 or tried a 981. The 987 base seats are comfortable for about two hours for me, but after that I need a break. They do something to my legs that causes a lot of nerve pain on long drives.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #82
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
There, I spec'ced it for you! Go for it, it's not like Porsche is continuing to make 6-cyl mid-engined cars, they are not other than needless 3.8 specialty models to milk cash.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #83
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
There, I spec'ced it for you! Go for it, it's not like Porsche is continuing to make 6-cyl mid-engined cars, they are not other than needless 3.8 specialty models to milk cash.
Counterpoint: The Gt3 Touring is maybe something I should mortgage my entire life for?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #84
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Counterpoint: The Gt3 Touring is maybe something I should mortgage my entire life for?
I was referring to the 6-cyl mid-engined "exceptions" such as GT4's and Spyders... Other than those, no more Flat-6 for mid-engine fans.

All 911's milk cash, the more specialty the model the better for porsche...
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #85
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah it's really appealing. I do wish it had the option for back seats.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #86
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I hate these threads. I spent the last 20 minutes searching boxsters... I kind of like this one:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

But then I went back to this and again lost all emotional connection to the P-car

'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #87
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I hate these threads. I spent the last 20 minutes searching boxsters... I kind of like this one:

But then I went back to this and again lost all emotional connection to the P-car

Right. I was just going to mention you don't like Porsches.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #88
equ
Alphanumeric

It's true he really dislikes porsches likes front-engined stuff.. Nothing wrong with that. The aston would HAVE to be a coupe for me. Just like the 911, the whole car is ruined when the roof is chopped off. I guess I make my rationalizations to accept the boxster. I'd agree that the cayman does look better than a boxster with the roof up... But, the boxster came first and it is not the afterthought the 911 cab and aston cab are.

That particular boxster has an *interesting* color combo. I could probably swing that, I like the interior. Good comfy seats, too... I like the 14-ways better than the 18-ways that I have. However, base suspension is lacking IMHO.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #89
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It's true he really dislikes porsches likes front-engined stuff.. Nothing wrong with that. The aston would HAVE to be a coupe for me. Just like the 911, the whole car is ruined when the roof is chopped off. I guess I make my rationalizations to accept the boxster. I'd agree that the cayman does look better than a boxster with the roof up... But, the boxster came first and it is not the afterthought the 911 cab and aston cab are.

That particular boxster has an *interesting* color combo. I could probably swing that, I like the interior. Good comfy seats, too... I like the 14-ways better than the 18-ways that I have. However, base suspension is lacking IMHO.
Where i really struggle is the boxster is such 'the right' car for my next vehicle.

I want a fun, manual soft top convertible with enough power to be quick(er than a Miata) enough space to use for weekend get aways to the lake and reliable / robust / modest depreciation curve enough, that I don't have to fret about putting 250+ miles a week on it. I will be using it as a daily driver to work at least 3 days a week. I want something newish for under $60k max. The boxster is really the only car that checks those boxes. There is a sliver thin chance the next M4 'vert might do it too, but i highly doubt they bring it over with a manual.

I have only spent real seat time in a base 987.2. Maybe the newer ones with an S or GTS engine set up will fix what that one lacked.

I liked the brown exterior on that boxster... I'd have to see the interior in person.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #90
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
You're always welcome to come drive mine

Though they are great cars, obviously they're not everyone's cup of tea.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote