carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #1111
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The gauge pegs when the water level is low. It's unlikely the car would overheat in three miles. Check the water level before you freak out.
Well it happened again yesterday. Less than 4 miles from home, low oil temp, water temp pegged to 250F and red warning level displayed. Pulled over, it cooled off in about 2 mins and has been fine since. Checked the coolant level this AM and it is at max. I'm taking it in tomorrow to find out what's going on. I was planning on putting it in storage at the end of the month and want to get it checked out while I still have 6 months of warranty left.

Its pretty frustrating.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #1112
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Well it happened again yesterday. Less than 4 miles from home, low oil temp, water temp pegged to 250F and red warning level displayed. Pulled over, it cooled off in about 2 mins and has been fine since. Checked the coolant level this AM and it is at max. I'm taking it in tomorrow to find out what's going on. I was planning on putting it in storage at the end of the month and want to get it checked out while I still have 6 months of warranty left.

Its pretty frustrating.
Argh ... that is completely frustrating, maybe post a message on rennlist and see what others can suggest so you can advise your dealer.

Also I think you need to consider getting the extended warranty ... it scares me having a car like this without one ... of course if I had the knowledge like John V I wouldn't be concerned but I don't.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #1113
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Argh ... that is completely frustrating, maybe post a message on rennlist and see what others can suggest so you can advise your dealer.

Also I think you need to consider getting the extended warranty ... it scares me having a car like this without one ... of course if I had the knowledge like John V I wouldn't be concerned but I don't.
Yea, I'm strongly considering the Fidelity warranty. I took it out today, thinking I was just going to go around the block and see if it overheated. Well I just kept driving and driving and driving. About 20 miles later, no issues. I came home, my wife took it to pick someemthing up and on the way home she took "a couple of wrong turns" and wound up enjoying another 20 miles. Later we went hiking and took both the Porsche and the 1er and had a great time. It was one of the best driving days we've ever had, the weather was perfect.

As frustrating as the couple of issues are, on days like today the car does tug at your heartstrings. We will see what tomorrow brings. When I set the appointment I requested "A Non-SUV loaner." I'm kind of hoping for a panamera, but would be interested in spending a day with a 718 or 992 as well.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 11-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #1114
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Yea, I'm strongly considering the Fidelity warranty. I took it out today, thinking I was just going to go around the block and see if it overheated. Well I just kept driving and driving and driving. About 20 miles later, no issues. I came home, my wife took it to pick someemthing up and on the way home she took "a couple of wrong turns" and wound up enjoying another 20 miles. Later we went hiking and took both the Porsche and the 1er and had a great time. It was one of the best driving days we've ever had, the weather was perfect.

As frustrating as the couple of issues are, on days like today the car does tug at your heartstrings. We will see what tomorrow brings. When I set the appointment I requested "A Non-SUV loaner." I'm kind of hoping for a panamera, but would be interested in spending a day with a 718 or 992 as well.
I hope it’s an easy/quick fix. These are among the best top-down days.

Interesting loaners are among the reasons buying a Porsche SUV entices me. Although the likelihood is I’d just get stuck with a base Macan every time...

Edit: And, frankly, as a now single person in a pandemic, available loaners are important to me in my next car.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #1115
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I hope it’s an easy/quick fix. These are among the best top-down days.

Interesting loaners are among the reasons buying a Porsche SUV entices me. Although the likelihood is I’d just get stuck with a base Macan every time...
i just hope it is *A* fix. I'm worried its going to be a 'we can't reproduce, nothing wrong' diagnosis, and then it will happen again in March when i bring it back from the lake garage and it will be out of warranty. I'm going to see what I can get documented just in case.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 11-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #1116
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
One color I always liked on the 991 is Red, it is very rare to see, the one thing I would be concerned about is it is not a desirable color for resale.

I think this one looks awesome ... yeah I know a lot of you don't like black wheels.
Unusual, exciting looking colors are generally a premium down the line. Especially the older the cars get. Everyone who buys an old sports car is an enthusiast. Enthusiasts tend to want interesting colors. Anything that looks good and didn’t get sold in huge volume will be desirable.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #1117
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Unusual, exciting looking colors are generally a premium down the line. Especially the older the cars get. Everyone who buys an old sports car is an enthusiast. Enthusiasts tend to want interesting colors. Anything that looks good and didn’t get sold in huge volume will be desirable.
Great options probably figure in there as well. As do, of course, non-PDK cars...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #1118
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:

Its pretty frustrating.
Did it peg to the maximum immediately or did it creep up there?

It's really unlikely the car is actually overheating, though you're wise to be cautious. My guess is a bad / intermittent coolant-level sending unit or a bad connection.

John
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #1119
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Did it peg to the maximum immediately or did it creep up there?

It's really unlikely the car is actually overheating, though you're wise to be cautious. My guess is a bad / intermittent coolant-level sending unit or a bad connection.

John
From what I read, it does sound like a bad coolant reservoir sensor. When it gets stuck it either says your coolant is low or it says your water temp is maxed. The .1 cars had a bunch of bad Change Over Valves which would show a coolant system error, but they seem fixed with the .2 cars and I don't think they err by stopping coolant flow (most of what I read is no heat).

The gauge swings up over the course of about 20secs, so it doesn't just jump to max, but it is a rapid rise in displayed temp. The digital readout on the multi-function display matches the gauge FWIW.

EDIT: I just found this on 6-sp:
"991.2 Sensor Recall
Everyone who has purchased a 991.2 (mine is a 2.17 build date) should be aware that there is a faulty sensor that sends a disturbing and scary warning though instrument panel and temp gauge that the engine temperature is too hot and that the engine must be turned off immediately. That was not the case (as I found out) and when you turn off the engine and then restart the warning goes away. Dealership is replacing my sensor now. Just an FYI for others"
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 11-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #1120
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Just to update, the dealer said they have been seeing an issue with 991.2 cars that had the water pump replaced, where coolant is getting into the vacuum lines and winding up in the valve lock. Fix is to replace the lines and the 'valve'. Porsche has just recently made this part of the water pump replacement procedure. Sound legit?

EDIT:
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 11-09-2020 at 12:56 PM.