carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Okay, so I went and bought a Tesla

After seeing the Model 3 in person I realized I do not want that car, at least not in its current incarnation. Worse, when you option it up as one would reasonably and typically option it, it's $56K. Sure, that's still 3-series territory, but...

So I started looking at the pre-owned Teslas listed at the Tesla site. And I went in for another test drive. I learned of the much more extensive inventory they do not list (and you can't search) on the public site. Searching with the Tesla staff, we came up with a car very much in line with what I was looking for option-wise with low miles and at a price below that of the (realistic) Model 3.

So I bought it.

It had to catch a ride down from Connecticut, but they didn't charge for that. And they did a fabulous job making the car look completely brand new. Throw in an extended warranty that'll cover me through a reasonable 3-4 year ownership experience and I'm pretty happy with the deal.

As with every Model S I've driven, it's huge. And silly quick. And eerily quiet. But with a long commute, chargers at the office, and the ability to use HOV in Maryland with just one person because it's an EV, it feels like a good call. I figure I'm spending almost $50/week on gas in the E39 (plus it's ancient) so that's $200/mo in gas savings even before they raise the gas tax.

So, vitals...

It's a 2014 Model S 85 (not P or D), upgraded rims, sunroof, tech package, arctic weather package, and some other options (pic of sticker reprint is below).

TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

Why does Tapatalk screw up pictures?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
After seeing the Model 3 in person I realized I do not want that car, at least not in its current incarnation. Worse, when you option it up as one would reasonably and typically option it, it's $56K. Sure, that's still 3-series territory, but...

So I started looking at the pre-owned Teslas listed at the Tesla site. And I went in for another test drive. I learned of the much more extensive inventory they do not list (and you can't search) on the public site. Searching with the Tesla staff, we came up with a car very much in line with what I was looking for option-wise with low miles and at a price below that of the (realistic) Model 3.

So I bought it.

It had to catch a ride down from Connecticut, but they didn't charge for that. And they did a fabulous job making the car look completely brand new. Throw in an extended warranty that'll cover me through a reasonable 3-4 year ownership experience and I'm pretty happy with the deal.

As with every Model S I've driven, it's huge. And silly quick. And eerily quiet. But with a long commute, chargers at the office, and the ability to use HOV in Maryland with just one person because it's an EV, it feels like a good call. I figure I'm spending almost $50/week on gas in the E39 (plus it's ancient) so that's $200/mo in gas savings even before they raise the gas tax.

So, vitals...

It's a 2014 Model S 85 (not P or D), upgraded rims, sunroof, tech package, arctic weather package, and some other options (pic of sticker reprint is below). Originally $96,300.
Arctic weather package is nice to have. For some reason your pics aren't showing up in my browser, though I can see the links in the code.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Arctic weather package is nice to have. For some reason your pics aren't showing up in my browser, though I can see the links in the code.
The only pic that is here that is not on FB is the sticker.

Refresh as I wrote the text on my MBP but then went to my phone to edit the post to add the pics. So it was briefly pic-less.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats!
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Really nice.

What are you winnowing from the fleet?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
dan
redefined

Hey, cool
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #8
TD
Founder emeritus

The E39 is going to get parked at my mom's and we're selling the M3.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
The only pic that is here that is not on FB is the sticker.

Refresh as I wrote the text on my MBP but then went to my phone to edit the post to add the pics. So it was briefly pic-less.
Ah, yes. There they are.

That's a nice spec. Very similar to my first car.

Did you get a HPWC installed at your house?

EDIT:

Also, what's your rated range look like when the car is fully charged? Curious about where your battery sits in terms of degradation.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Did you get a HPWC installed at your house?
I thought that was only useful for dual chargers?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote