carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
BMW X1 - 2017 Loaner Review

For 5 days, I had a 2017 BMW X1 - an x drive edition, fully loaded.

My take:

This is a much different car from the first X1 I had, the 2014 model, which was based on the E90 platform. A not-very-attractive car with cheapish interior materials, but nice handling and roadholding for a tall wagon. The conventional BMW inline engine configuration in that car created a long hood, cramped interior feeling.

This new model is much different. It's based on the Mini Clubman, and features a transverse-mounted 4 cylinder turbo, putting out 228 hp propelling roughly 3700 lbs. Zero to sixty is six and a half seconds (muscle car times from the late 60's, early 70's ) - the engine pulls well, and the automatic has 8 speeds. Drive is directed mostly to the front wheels.

The first thing you notice stepping in is how beautiful the new interior is - the leather is high grade (optioned the way it was), with sports seats, lots of nice stitching, and soft touch materials, everything falls exactly in the right place for your hands, the I drive controller works great and the screen is angled precisely where it needs to be for the driver. The parking brake is electric , and the shifter, culled from the Mini, is a normal stalk, not that horridly and unnecessarily complex electronic thing across the rest of the line-up (thank you Mini).

The driving position, steering wheel and seat comfort is first rate - I was able to dial up a comfortable set up in seconds and the seats, while narrow, feel well padded and bolstered, with thigh extenders, they're close to ideal (i could see wider folks having a problem, though). Sport seats are now a stand-alone option, which is great considering how diminutive the pod -shaped standard seats are. It feels expensive inside.

The FWD layout gives you tons of room, and a flatter floor than any BMW - in fact, it creates a very un-BMW like environment - it feels more Honda, but I really liked it. The windshield is huge and there's storage everywhere. Back seat has deep foot wells and again, thanks to the FWD platform, lots of room available in contrast to the first edition. The cargo area has one of those trunks beneath the floor for hiding stuff. Very nice.

I picked the car up at night and enjoyed the lighting options, great headlights, with the best "cornering lights" I've ever encountered, turn right or left and bright LED's on the corners light up the side of the road with variable levels of brightness, the tighter the turn, the brighter the light. Awesome stuff. This car also had an optional ambient lighting package that was kind of overkill, a bit glitzy like the inside of a 50's diner. A panorama sunroof and power tailgate completed the package, and the car rode on 18s (taller, narrower 18's than most cars - I neglected to get the tire size, but they're likely 50's in terms of sidewall profile).

So, how does it drive?

The body is about as stout as anything I've ever driven - new cars just keep getting more rigid. It handles like a BMW, but a lighter, friendlier - to - steer and accelerate BMW. Everything feels light, but precise. The transmission shifts smoothly, the brakes pull strongly. The ride is a bit unsettled over the rough stuff, but the car corners uncannily flat for an SUV. Like many of the best FWD platforms, it tracks straight and true on the highway. If I have one gripe, it's with the engine - it just feels agricultural - it's powerful enough, and it's well insulated from the cabin, but it feels cheapish for a car topping out at 50 grand; where's that exhaust note?

I drove it a lot and liked it a lot, and thought it'd be a nice car to have, but began to miss my ZHP. Then my wife drove it for a day, and took to it immediately, she LOVED it. I'm guessing, at some point, because of that, we may have one in our driveway - unless she falls for one of the many competitors - many making a good case for themselves - I suppose we'd be doing a lot of shopping.

So, a truly good effort from BMW/Mini; I think, in this size class, the FWD config is one of the car's biggest pluses - it allows for a comfortable and spacious interior and driving characteristics that are quite appealing - it just feels more BMW-lite mixed with Honda than the usual.

X1 by Edward Dzubak, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharp11; 01-25-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
ff

Thanks for the review, Ed. Definitely a better looking car than the one it replaced.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I've driven the previous gen (with the bigger engine and RWD), and thought this is a fun, useful little car, but I could never buy it because the interior was so cheapo.

Glad they've addressed that in the new gen.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
The one I had was a base (or Premium) package car. It had the "pod" seats as Ed says. They are awful - flat and small with no support. If they were leather, they weren't any better than the stiff crap they put in all the non-m bmw's.

Driving dynamics? The windshield rake in this thing is like a minivan where you get enough dash for small dog to sit on. It feels like you're driving from the backseat. The 4cyl is gruff and gutless, though I don't recall it having the lazy tip-in of the n55 x3. The brakes are grabby and don't release linearly. The steering is electric bmw light and devoid of any feel.

I don't recall anything impressive about the interior materials, and the old-style shift lever is antiquated feeling and silly. The recline/slide rear seat was neat I guess.

So yeah, we don't agree.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
My wife loves it too. We're very close to buying one for her to replace her old E46 wagon.

Not my kind of car, but hey, happy wife, happy life. I'm sure I can deal with driving it for the occasional family road trip. I'd probably like the new Allroad a lot better, but it's much more expensive and my wife doesn't think it's worth it.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
thanks for thorough review. I would maybe lease one but not buy one. Yes I have german reliability bias.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I meant to take some more interior shots, but only got around to this one ... not sure of this car had the luxury package, but the inside was nice:

Interior X1 by Edward Dzubak, on Flickr
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I got to ride in a new X3 recently. I was impressed by that interior also.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
The one I had was a base (or Premium) package car. It had the "pod" seats as Ed says. They are awful - flat and small with no support. If they were leather, they weren't any better than the stiff crap they put in all the non-m bmw's.

Driving dynamics? The windshield rake in this thing is like a minivan where you get enough dash for small dog to sit on. It feels like you're driving from the backseat. The 4cyl is gruff and gutless, though I don't recall it having the lazy tip-in of the n55 x3. The brakes are grabby and don't release linearly. The steering is electric bmw light and devoid of any feel.

I don't recall anything impressive about the interior materials, and the old-style shift lever is antiquated feeling and silly. The recline/slide rear seat was neat I guess.

So yeah, we don't agree.
So what color are you going to get ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

I looked into the X1 for my daughter, I wasn't loving the old style shifter and if I recall you couldn't get the blind side warning otherwise I really liked the over all truck a lot ... I think BMW did a great job.

I'm surprised you are considering the FWD model, I think it would be worth the extra $$$ to get the xdrive ... especially when it comes to resale.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote