carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #531
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
trying to roll out anything like that while the company is a) developing the Model X, b) building out its service and retail infrastructure globally, c) building out its Supercharger network, d) developing battery tech; e) laying the groundwork for the Model E, is asking a lot.
Do you anticipate there ever being a time when they are not 1) developing yet another new model, b) expanding their service and retail infrastructure globally in addition to maintaining and rehabilitating their installed base, c) further expanding their Supercharger network in addition to maintaining and rehabilitating their installed Supercharger network, d) developing battery tech; e) laying the groundwork for yet another new model? Assuming they stay in business, of course.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #532
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Do you anticipate there ever being a time when they are not 1) developing yet another new model, b) expanding their service and retail infrastructure globally in addition to maintaining and rehabilitating their installed base, c) further expanding their Supercharger network in addition to maintaining and rehabilitating their installed Supercharger network, d) developing battery tech; e) laying the groundwork for yet another new model? Assuming they stay in business, of course.
Do I anticipate a time where their expansion slows? Yes. I also imagine that as they get bigger, they will add personnel that will increase their capacity to do more than one thing at a time.

The point that I was making, perhaps inartfully, is that they are in a rapid expansion phase now, and that it would be difficult and distracting for them to undertake another major capital-intensive project at this time. I expect that, 10 years from now, or even 5, the calculus might be very different.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #533
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I just don't get it, but that's me.
I totally get it, and I think it's awesome.

It's just not for me.

Yet.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #534
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I totally get it, and I think it's awesome.

It's just not for me.

Yet.
Same here.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #535
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:

To me, I just don't understand paying a huge price tag for a car that ties you to fuel stops and charging stations and essentially takes away the ingredient we all like most about driving, which is freedom.
FREEDOM!

Someone's been watching fox.

It doesn't tie you to anything but an electrical outlet - pretty sure most of us have those at home where the car sits idle every night.

Good luck with that diesel on a road trip.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #536
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

Dude, that's just you...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #537
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Same here.
Yep. I think its tougher for us East Coasters to justify at this point because:
-the supercharger network here isn't as developed
-many of us live in apartments/cities where access to a charger you can use overnight isn't necessarily easy or cheap
-The colder weather and its effect on range
-The fact that some of us are able to use public transportation for our everyday commutes, so we tend to use cars for the longer range stuff (the scenarios that become more difficult with a Tesla).

And I'm bummed that the superchargers are mostly along 95 right now. I hate that road (atleast every stretch i've had the misfortune to be on) and will often drive an additional 30 miles just to avoid it.

I do happen to think its one of the coolest, prettiest cars under 100k though. If I had enough spare cash I might just say screw it and get it anyway. Which is why they are selling as many as they can produce. So reminder to other car companies (I'm looking at you BMW): design matters!
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #538
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Oh, right, because auto manufacturers don't partner with outside tech companies to bring innovative things to market.

... Said nobody ever.

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/...EWS/301149949#
Neither did I say it

I'm talking about a different level of partnering where, for example, batteries can be made much lighter - many years ago many people accepted batteries would never provide the range the Tesla has, now we need to make them lighter. It's just not yet a priority.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #539
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
FREEDOM!

Someone's been watching fox.

It doesn't tie you to anything but an electrical outlet - pretty sure most of us have those at home where the car sits idle every night.

-Yes, freedom - that's what the automobile represents to many americans - and that's how it's traditionally been marketed (and still is).

-As for the electrical outlet, I wasn't aware that you could plug in your new Tesla to a standard wall outlet - that still doesn't make long trips easier though.

- I could drive to NH with a diesel, spend a couple of days and come home on the same tank of gas.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #540
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
-Yes, freedom - that's what the automobile represents to many americans - and that's how it's traditionally been marketed (and still is).

-As for the electrical outlet, I wasn't aware that you could plug in your new Tesla to a standard wall outlet - that still doesn't make long trips easier though.

- I could drive to NH with a diesel, spend a couple of days and come home on the same tank of gas.
The Tesla is nifty but you can't afford it, I hear you. Oh well, time to move on.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote