carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-10-2004, 03:46 AM   #1
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
C&D Review: Mustang GT

With 5 out of the last 10 (and counting!) active Car Talk threads having something to do with the new Mustang, I though I'd do my part.

To sum up, overall they loved it. There were complaints, of course, and some of them echoed observations made by clyde and JST during their test drive. However, they seemed impressed that Ford made such a quantum leap forward without jacking up the price a few thousand.

Select excerpts (because it's not on their site yet, I'll type them out):

"Throttle tip-in is more gentle and predictable. There's still some minor clutch slipping required for first-gear starts, but you can now floor the throttle at 5 mph, than suddenly jump out of it completely without inducing transmission windup."

"Speaking of gushing forth, let's move on to thrust. Three easy steps here: (1) Disable the traction control - a large button up high on the dash, just as Don Garlits intended. (2) Zing the revs to four grand. (3) Dump the clutch. The Mustang squats an inch, than launches straight, hard, and true, painting five to ten feet of expensive P Zero Nero stripes, depending on road texture. In a flash, the V-8 bangs off the rev limiter, and the tires bark on the upshift to second like deep-chested Newfoundlands. Beautiful, man - smoke, noise, velocity, enraged neighbors. Unalloyed essence of Mustang."

"Sixty mph is yours in 5.2 seconds... One hundred looms large in 13.2 seconds... And the quarter-mile is history in 13.8 seconds at 102 mph. Which means the only other pony-car poseur on the market - the costlier, slower-selling 350-horse Pontiac GTO - will be humbled at the drag strip by your lowly little Ford coupe." (Ouch! )

"The improved shift linkage and stubby new shifter... are co-conspirators in the accel figures. Throws are shorter, less notchy, and require less thought. And even the clutch effort is reduced."

"The next best thing about the Mustang is that it now rides like a modern car... Yet even with the cushier ride, handling has improved. Not even the most recent independent-rear-suspension SVT Cobra can match the new GT's skidpad grip, which now also surpasses a Nissan 350Z Touring's, come to think of it."

"Neutral, understeer, oversteer. Quite a smorgasbord. And the tail-happiness now materializes more gently, rather than in one heart-stopping twitch. Throughout, extraneous body movements are nicely damped."

"Fact is, there's a precision to this Mustang's movement that makes the old car feel like Mr. Ed. Did we just say 'precision' and 'Mustang' in the same sentence?" ( )

"The rack-and-pinion steering still isn't a paradigm of accuracy or feel. Road textures, in particular, are transmitted only vaguely. But at least the effort is light at all speeds, the power assist never feels artificial, and there's no kickback."

"Pedal modulation is merely ho-hum, what you'd expect. from say, a Taurus. The transition from threshold braking to ABS is abrupt and tricky to predict..."

"Freeway tracking is exemplary. Gear whine is down to tolerable levels. And this platform is as flex-free as your average Montana bridge abutment. This is the first Mustang whose subassemblies and trim aren't allied in a confederacy of gronks, clinks, and shivers."

"Nevertheless, the GT exhibits a blend of compliance and response worthy of a BMW." ( aranoid: )

"Unlike the old Stang, this one slips on comfortably - the three-spoke wheel, the pedals, and the stunted shifter all in ergonomic harmony."

(Some test results and vital stats)

Street start, 5-60: 5.9
Top speed (governed) 149
Roadholding: 0.87
3523 lbs
Weight distribution: 53.6/46.4
11.7 lbs per hp
Base price: $24,995

THE VERDICT

Highs: Vastly improved ride, slicker shifter, more power, same old friendly price.

Lows: Ho-hum steering and brakes, needlessly dour interior.

The Verdict: The best Mustang since April 17th, 1964.

Side note: Regarding the other thread concerning Plaz and his choice of black doughnuts, I'm happy to see C&D all but officially endorsing the Pilot Sport PS2's in this issue, alternatively describing them as "griptastic" and "today's must-have" in separate articles by different editors.

Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 AM   #2
Autarch
Realist

I actually didn't expect them to gush about it but I never know what to expect with C&D.

That's a pretty glowing review. I personally will have to drive one to believe that the solid rear axle is worthwhile but this is the third of fourth source that has said it is tight, agile and didn't have any problems as a result.

I will have to test drive one at the end of next month when I am in the market to buy.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Re: C&D Review: Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan

The Verdict: The best Mustang since April 17th, 1964.[/size]
I'm glad they're getting such a good reception. I still don't want one, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Side note: Regarding the other thread concerning Plaz and his choice of black doughnuts, I'm happy to see C&D all but officially endorsing the Pilot Sport PS2's in this issue, alternatively describing them as "griptastic" and "today's must-have" in separate articles by different editors.

Okay, well, maybe next time.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
JST

This will both date me and further reveal my Mustang predilection, but that C/D review was the best review of a Mustang they've done since the 1985/6 Mustang GT (can't remember which one). There, too, they gushed about the unexpected good chassis dynamics in the recently revised Mustang; though the change from 1984 to 1985 was not as substantial as the 2004-->2005 change, it did involve (IIRC) the addition of the Quadra-Shock rear and a bump in hp from the Holley carbuereted engine to over 200 (205?). They said the car had a Germanic way of getting down the road. Back then, the Mustang GT's calling card was value, though 20 years ago that meant less than 10K for a GT.

The more things change...
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Hmmm...good article and interesting info. Thanks for the post.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
This will both date me and further reveal my Mustang predilection, but that C/D review was the best review of a Mustang they've done since the 1985/6 Mustang GT (can't remember which one). There, too, they gushed about the unexpected good chassis dynamics in the recently revised Mustang; though the change from 1984 to 1985 was not as substantial as the 2004-->2005 change, it did involve (IIRC) the addition of the Quadra-Shock rear and a bump in hp from the Holley carbuereted engine to over 200 (205?). They said the car had a Germanic way of getting down the road.
Yeah, but do you still have that C/D issue in a box somewhere? I do. aranoid: The 85 introduced the quad shock setup and was the final year using a carb, but I'm pretty sure that the article you're talking about was on the 1986 model (the Germanic reference). The 86 was the first fuelie and HP decreased slightly (210 to 200) while torque increased (270-285). In addition to totally new air and fuel delivery systmes, there were other changes to the engine: Pistons were different, compression got a modest bump and the heads were redesigned (poorly, and this was addressed in 87). It got a new engine management computer, ignition system, a new H pipe (that was really, really good compared to the old). It also got liquid filled motor mounts, an upgraded rear (7.5" to 8.8") and a beefier clutch.

Quote:
Back then, the Mustang GT's calling card was value, though 20 years ago that meant less than 10K for a GT.

In '86 they went for a little more than $10k...at least to those without access to special pricing. IIRC, my first '86 which I bought new, was ~$13k, but it wasn't a stripper.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
This will both date me and further reveal my Mustang predilection, but that C/D review was the best review of a Mustang they've done since the 1985/6 Mustang GT (can't remember which one). There, too, they gushed about the unexpected good chassis dynamics in the recently revised Mustang; though the change from 1984 to 1985 was not as substantial as the 2004-->2005 change, it did involve (IIRC) the addition of the Quadra-Shock rear and a bump in hp from the Holley carbuereted engine to over 200 (205?). They said the car had a Germanic way of getting down the road.
Yeah, but do you still have that C/D issue in a box somewhere? I do. aranoid: The 85 introduced the quad shock setup and was the final year using a carb, but I'm pretty sure that the article you're talking about was on the 1986 model (the Germanic reference). The 86 was the first fuelie and HP decreased slightly (210 to 200) while torque increased (270-285). In addition to totally new air and fuel delivery systmes, there were other changes to the engine: Pistons were different, compression got a modest bump and the heads were redesigned (poorly, and this was addressed in 87). It got a new engine management computer, ignition system, a new H pipe (that was really, really good compared to the old). It also got liquid filled motor mounts, an upgraded rear (7.5" to 8.8") and a beefier clutch.

Quote:
Back then, the Mustang GT's calling card was value, though 20 years ago that meant less than 10K for a GT.

In '86 they went for a little more than $10k...at least to those without access to special pricing. IIRC, my first '86 which I bought new, was ~$13k, but it wasn't a stripper.
Probably don't still have it--my folks made me get rid of most of my collection of C/D. I've been a subscriber for 22 years. aranoid: (My favorite story of all time remains their sport sedan field trip to Baja Mexico with a 6000STE and a Dodge 600--was that 1983?)

I think it was a carburetor in that car; I remember a pic of the round air cleaner. I also vaguely recall the price being listed as 9995, or something similar, but that was probably before destination or any options.

I found a brief reference to a review in C/D in Jan. 1985--that jibes with my memory, as I recall that issue being a Ten Best issue.

http://www.mustangregistry.org/lx_85_86.htm

I forgot about the upgraded rear. When did the 4 speed manual switch to 5? Was that 85, as well, or was that earlier?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Probably don't still have it--my folks made me get rid of most of my collection of C/D. I've been a subscriber for 22 years. aranoid: (My favorite story of all time remains their sport sedan field trip to Baja Mexico with a 6000STE and a Dodge 600--was that 1983?)

I think it was a carburetor in that car; I remember a pic of the round air cleaner. I also vaguely recall the price being listed as 9995, or something similar, but that was probably before destination or any options.

I found a brief reference to a review in C/D in Jan. 1985--that jibes with my memory, as I recall that issue being a Ten Best issue.

http://www.mustangregistry.org/lx_85_86.htm

I forgot about the upgraded rear. When did the 4 speed manual switch to 5? Was that 85, as well, or was that earlier?
I may have to see if I can find the issue...Or maybe they used another "German" derived word when talking about the 1986 GT.

They had 5 speeds at least as far back as 1983 (although I'm not sure if they were for the V8s or the 4cyl Turbo GTs only).
Old 11-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

Not what we're looking for, but fun nonetheless.

http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/NewsTitleBout2.htm

http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/NewsBestGT.htm

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Why don't they do timed autox runs in more of their tests? That's intriguing.

I remember the "thickness of a license plate" line. Imagining how agricultural an 87 GT would feel today makes some of their descriptions unintentionally hilarious.