carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. I think you have to pay to list on Rennlist, but it sounds like it could be worth it.
Yes, but I do think it is worth it. I recall it wasn't too much, but maybe I've forgotten.

Heck, I still have a couple of favorites pointing me to Rennlist user car searches for Boxsters that I click on once in a while. I think it's a good place to find Porsches.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
JST

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful. I think you have to pay to list on Rennlist, but it sounds like it could be worth it.

I would never use BaT. You basically need to be live for the duration of the auction to respond to stupid questions from every clown that trolls that site. I also don't think they would list it, it's just another Boxster S.

I think I'll try Rennlist and see where it goes. It won't break my heart if it doesn't sell, but I'm just getting less and less interested in "nice" cars to daily drive.
Agreed on Rennlist and Planet 9, and PCA.

I disagree about it being "just another Boxster." There aren't that many 987.2s out there, and there are even fewer that are a real color. The market for this car is niche, but it exists--and you've got a much better shot of finding one of the 6 people looking for this car on a national site than on something like Craigslist.

I get not wanting to deal with the people on BaT, but I actually think it would do pretty well there. See above, re: limited number of cars. I actually can't remember the last time I saw a 987.2 Boxster on BaT (that wasn't a Spyder).*

The downside is that 986s and 987s seem largely immune to the silly prices that are infecting the Porsche world, at least for now.

*In fact, looking back...is it possible that they've *never* auctioned a 987.2 Boxster, non-Spyder? If I missed 1 or 2, they certainly aren't common:

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/boxster/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I'd say do some research on what recent 987.2 S's are selling for -- check eBay closed auctions, and whatever the forum chatter is on Rennlist and Planet9. Then head over to CarMax for a quote -- will give you a floor. Then you can decide whether its worth the time/effort to sell via another method.

When I sold my 987.1 S, I ended up CarMaxing it. Mostly because the quote they gave me was higher than any recent Ebay sale, and I really didn't feel like taking the time to list it elsewhere -- figured I wouldn't get all that much extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Anyone know anything about Carvana?
I haven't used them. But their CEO is the son of the guy who owns DriveTime. The father has a sketchy past -- was part of the Lincoln Savings & Loan scandal, and he was convicted for his involvement. He then went on to buy out Ugly Duckling Rent-a-Car, and grew their used car dealerships in AZ into DriveTime and became a billionaire...

Last edited by ZBB; 04-19-2019 at 01:19 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
I think you have to pay to list on Rennlist, but it sounds like it could be worth it.
Yeah I was surprised that I had to pay, but it was small enough not to care.

I got so little traffic from the ad I thought it was a waste at first. But then it obviously payed off.

A rare(ish) car at a non-discounted price takes time for the right buyer to come along. But when someone who wants a) 987.2, b) full leather, c) excellent condition and well maintained, d) YELLOW finds your car he'll be jumping for joy.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote