carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #81
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Holy cow you knocked out both of them? Damn dude.

I just looked at the result and see everyone has the same time for the first 4 rounds. Is the super challenge not single elimination? One run on each side, add them up, loser goes home. Then repeat until only JV is left?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #82
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Holy cow you knocked out both of them? Damn dude.

I just looked at the result and see everyone has the same time for the first 4 rounds. Is the super challenge not single elimination? One run on each side, add them up, loser goes home. Then repeat until only JV is left?
I think those times are the dial in. JV's time changes after he broke out against Sam.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #83
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

You couldn't have gone with something better like , "I had to get my dog dewormed"?
You don't understand. It was really windy.

I worked gate after impound. I sat in my car watching the lowered gate canopy, secured by about 300 lbs of sand bags, move a bit with every gust and a few times I thought it was going to take off.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #84
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I think those times are the dial in. JV's time changes after he broke out against Sam.
Correct. Dial in times are your best right plus best left (including any coned run raw times that were faster) divided by two. That's what appears.

When you break out, or go faster than your total dial-in time, your dial-in gets readjusted by 1.5 times the breakout. So after I broke out against sam (which I needed to beat him because he broke out too) I was pretty sure I was done. Then David Marcus spun on the right side and that was pretty much a lock for me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #85
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You don't understand. It was really windy.

I worked gate after impound. I sat in my car watching the lowered gate canopy, secured by about 300 lbs of sand bags, move a bit with every gust and a few times I thought it was going to take off.
The start tent blew around so much in the rain that I couldn't even see the tree through the sandbag that had moved in front of it. Since I was planning on just bailing anyway, I waited for Grant to go before I left the line.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #86
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
The wind was terrible and made it way colder than the temperature said it was... JV was on point throughout the shootout! Did Kevin win some tires as well? It seems like it's a pretty good deal if you win and have Hoosiers.

I felt bad for my wife because she was there all day in the cold and wind, but she did just sleep and read in my codriver's car while we were working and mingling. She says she's glad that she came to watch nonetheless.

I had my best result at a big event and made the shootout, but I got eliminated on a red light (I swear I didn't leave early) against Daddio in the first round. My class was a little weak due to broken and fear of broken ND Miatas, but I just missed a win by 0.062 on tires that probably are not the best (Kumho). I gave up more than a few tenths on each side by 60'. However, a 2nd place still gets me 3.5 new tires, so I'm happy about getting free tires! I could have run faster tires and probably found a lot more than 0.062, but I'm not second guessing at all since this is the only one of these I'm doing this year and the faster tires don't give free ones for winning.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #87
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I just missed a win by 0.062
I didn't realize it was that close. Oof, that definitely stings.

Bridgestone doesn't pay out for Pro's? Did you get money from Toyota, or is that just for a win?

And yeah, JV sucks. They won more tires than I use in a season.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #88
John V
No more BMWs

Kevin didn't win tires, he would have gotten one if we had one more driver in the class.

Hoosiers are a good deal if you regularly win. I haven't bought any in years. And the a7s last forever. I have 114 runs on the ones I ran this weekend and they are still fast! Hard to beat. They used to heat cycle out pretty fast but not anymore...
Old 05-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #89
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Bridgestone doesn't pay out for Pro's? Did you get money from Toyota, or is that just for a win?

And yeah, JV sucks. They won more tires than I use in a season.
Nothing from Bridgestone, only match/champ tours, potentially $100 from Toyota though I may not have had all the stickers I needed.

JV: How many more ProSolo events do you have to do now? Does the win qualify you for Lincoln? I have never loved the drag race element, but I had fun this weekend.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #90
John V
No more BMWs

I need to do one more, assuming I win the next one. Which is why I have two more planned. ☺