carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-09-2023, 10:33 AM   #81
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s not about build quality; it’s about not giving money to the CCP.

My wife said the same thing when I suggested getting a Volvo or polestar earlier this year. Nice cars but yeah we are going to pass on them right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #82
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This feels like it’s too soon to embrace the EV revolution

Charging doesn’t seem sorted out and the options seem ‘meh’

Or am I reading this situation incorrectly?

I think it really depends on your personal situation. If you can charge at home overnight, your local power company offers good rates and most of your usage is within the vehicle's range an EV can be a great solution even currently. OTOH, if you dont have charging at home and regularly make long trips with your EV then no its probably not the right choice. For a daily driver type car, I think there's a lot to like about the ways that EVs deliver their power.

But, there is still a relative lack of choice compared to ICE models right now...lots to choose from if you like 50k+ crossovers..less so if you're looking for affordable sedans, hatcbacks, wagons..

For me, an EV version of the Audi S5 sportback or A6 wagon would likely have me writing a check... fortunately, both appear to be on the way
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #83
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I would edit robg's comments slightly.

If you have home charging and don't do road trips, an EV is great. There are enough public chargers in most metro areas that the occasional charging when away from home will be fine.

If you don't have home charging, it really depends on what infrastructure is near your home or office and how much you drive. If your employer has charging and you can plug in while at work 1-2 days a week, that might be enough. If you have access to a fast charger near the house or work (or along the commute), then a quick stop for 10 min every other day might also work.

Road trips really depend on network. Tesla's Superchargers work fantastic for road trips -- we've done several 2k to 5k road trips in Teslas over the last 10 years. But I wouldn't rely on the current CCS network for a road trip -- just seems too unreliable.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:44 PM   #84
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
If you have home charging and don't do road trips, an EV is great.
For me, that is the only use case I would sign up for. And given the ranges nowadays, cars are good for any kind of drive shy of a road trip.

The early "100-140" mile range was a problem, particularly when discounting for cold and high speed driving, which could lead to a real life, panic-free range closer to 50 miles.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 05:50 PM   #85
JST

Still working on this. There’s really nothing new available, but I’ve broadened my thinking a bit.

It’s amazing how much Elon Musk’s ass clown behavior has colored my feelings about this car. I don’t want to be seen in it, I don’t want to be associated with it; it’s really quite unpleasant.

Still, it’s worth basically nothing at this point, so deciding to ditch it will necessarily involve a pretty big spend. And it (mostly) keeps doing what I want it to do.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:27 PM   #86
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
The prices have indeed tanked a good amount, which sucks for existing owners.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:30 PM   #87
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Still working on this. There’s really nothing new available, but I’ve broadened my thinking a bit.

It’s amazing how much Elon Musk’s ass clown behavior has colored my feelings about this car. I don’t want to be seen in it, I don’t want to be associated with it; it’s really quite unpleasant.

Still, it’s worth basically nothing at this point, so deciding to ditch it will necessarily involve a pretty big spend. And it (mostly) keeps doing what I want it to do.
Sell for a song to a family member?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:37 PM   #88
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
That’s basically why I’m keeping mine…. Our daughter will get her license soon and she can drive it to school. Maybe she takes it to college in a couple years, maybe not.

Mine is almost 5 years old and has 29k miles on it. It’s in good shape and maintenance is minimal…. If it gets her through college, it’s a win.

But Musk and his shenanigans need to go. I won’t but another new one until he’s gone from Tesla…
Old 07-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #89
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:

Yup. I don't envy your situation with that car. I am so thrilled I ditched mine when I did. I got out just before it really became apparently what a POS Musk is. Total luck.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:33 PM   #90
JST

…and just like that, no more Tesla.

I put the 20s with PS4s or whatever back on to sell it and had forgotten how twitchy the steering was on those. Feel was a lot better but the ride was much worse. Whatever foam Tesla adds to the tires actually works well; they’re noticeably quieter than the Pilot Sport all seasons I’ve been running for a couple of years.

I don’t regret owning this car. It was relatively reliable and needed essentially zero maintenance, and the running costs were thus super cheap (as long as you ignore depreciation, which was…precipitous, but that’s partly my fault for waiting too long to sell). It’s still comically fast, and the range hasn’t degraded that much.

I still think that a new Model 3 Performance is probably the best deal going on a new car, gas or electric. I likely wouldn’t have bought another in any event, just because I’m ready for something new, but Elon made it easy to cross it off the list.

Anyway. Replacement is picked out and should be arriving shortly. More to come on that soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	16272  
JST is offline   Reply With Quote