carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #791
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Telsa Patents
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #792
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
but here is a datapoint for end-of-lease residual:

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...tid=nl80059719

looks good.
Just came across an eBay listing for a Model S that was likely produced the same day mine was (the VIN is <20 lower than mine...). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Other-...US_Cars_Trucks

Its also configured similar to mine -- only differences compared to mine are (note -prices were from when I ordered in March '13):
  • It has the upgraded stereo $900
  • It has the multi-coat Pearl White paint $1500
  • It doesn't have the pano roof $1500
  • It doesn't have the rear parcel shelf $250
  • The following differences had no price difference from mine: black leather (I have tan), piano black trim (I have the obeche gloss wood)
  • Its not clear from the description if Supercharging is enabled -- but lets assume it is

So the sticker was $650 more than mine.

Will be interesting to see where this auction ends. Its currently at $62.2k with 5 days left and 20 bids. Its under the reserve, and the Buy It Now is $75.5k

Oh... that Buy It Now price is ~$3k higher than the after-tax credit cost of that car new, and pretty close to what buying a new Model S would cost equipped the same ($75.8k after the Federal tax credit).

Last edited by ZBB; 07-03-2014 at 02:06 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #793
ZBB
Relic

Quick update... That eBay auction ended last night.

Final bid was $70,100, but it didn't hit reserve. The seller dropped the Buy it Now by $2500 to $73k before it ended too...

Still good to know -- gives an indication of what I could get for my car if I needed to sell it. $70k would be only 3.5% depreciation from the after-credit price I paid, and ~10% after factoring in sales tax cost. Not bad for a year into a car...

I still expect it to depreciate in line with other high-end sedans, but if I had to sell it today, I'd be in great shape...
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #794
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Quick update... That eBay auction ended last night.

Final bid was $70,100, but it didn't hit reserve. The seller dropped the Buy it Now by $2500 to $73k before it ended too...

Still good to know -- gives an indication of what I could get for my car if I needed to sell it. $70k would be only 3.5% depreciation from the after-credit price I paid, and ~10% after factoring in sales tax cost. Not bad for a year into a car...

I still expect it to depreciate in line with other high-end sedans, but if I had to sell it today, I'd be in great shape...
That IS great, but it is not necessarily representative of predicted depreciation going forward. You are an early adopter of a car that got hotter and hotter, it's like having bought the right stock at the right time.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #795
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That IS great, but it is not necessarily representative of predicted depreciation going forward. You are an early adopter of a car that got hotter and hotter, it's like having bought the right stock at the right time.
I agree. Its just a point in time reference (and a single sample point too...).

I thought it was especially interesting since the car was produced within a day of mine and configured fairly similar -- its about as apples-to-apples as I'll ever see!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #796
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
what does the S range look like when you're flat out on the highway?

I was driving back from Manhattan (to Boston) last night via Danbury through to Hartford.

Traffic along 684 is insanely fast. Traffic was at least 80mph. At least.

I was curious in this situation how much that inhibits your range. I was in an EV recently and the range went from 87mi to 52mi in the blink of an eye once we hit the highway and we were only going 70-72mph. (loaded with four people and full A/C on a hot day, though).

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #797
JST

Here's the first dyno run I've seen:

http://www.TeslaMotorsClub.com/showthread.php?t=33413

The "curves" are interesting, but I think something is screwy with the torque figures. I just don't know enough about gearing and dynos to figure it out.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #798
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
what does the S range look like when you're flat out on the highway?

I was driving back from Manhattan (to Boston) last night via Danbury through to Hartford.

Traffic along 684 is insanely fast. Traffic was at least 80mph. At least.

I was curious in this situation how much that inhibits your range. I was in an EV recently and the range went from 87mi to 52mi in the blink of an eye once we hit the highway and we were only going 70-72mph. (loaded with four people and full A/C on a hot day, though).
I've never seen that big of a drop of range that fast. You do get fewer miles at higher speeds. I tend to drive no more than 5-10 over the limit (hasn't changed with the Tesla). When going home from work, the first mile or so is city street before I get on the freeway, where I typically accelerate to 70. With having to cool the car down from ~101-105 (even with covered parking...), and then accelerating up, I see range drop by about 10 miles over the first 5. But once the cabin is cool, range drops closer to the rating, although it is impacted by elevation changes (I climb ~1400 feet on the way home).
Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #799
JST

This news about a battery upgrade for the Roadster is pretty cool, because it shows a commitment to upgrading.

I like what it suggests about what should be available for the Model S in a few years.

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-reported-c...iii-1605647688
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #800
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
This news about a battery upgrade for the Roadster is pretty cool, because it shows a commitment to upgrading.

I like what it suggests about what should be available for the Model S in a few years.

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-reported-c...iii-1605647688
Yeah... But likely expensive!