carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-14-2024, 01:19 PM   #6131
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I thought the SCAN tool tells all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is how the power delivery on my car feels. It pulls to near redline in a pretty linear way. (Edit: the non-tuned dotted red line up to a measly 375hp)
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:22 PM   #6132
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Real world experiences via the automotive press is my source. Then there is my own… Plus dyno is controlled environment.

Edit: I spent the good part of last Sunday afternoon driving my 997.2 which to me feels a tad quicker than a 992 T. You certainly hear and feel the speed in a 997 vs a 992. Some other observations, the 997 is the perfect size 911 as well as full-on analog. The differences between a 997.2 and a 992.1 are vast.

If the next Gen 911 (994) further increases in size, those of us whom enjoy the model will be SOL.

Screenshot to local friend that is a dealer tech.
I have the little cousin (MA1 DFI) of the 997.2 and my benchmark is only the 991.2 Carrera T — I would say that it is more thrilling by far to wring the neck of the naturally aspirated DFI engine. The 3.0tt was decent and really had tons of AUC power. But the noise of the naturally aspirated engine with induction noise and howl is somehow “more”.

I know the 380hp standard 911 engine used in the T is certainly better in a lot of ways though. I would not dismiss it out of hand. I would say, however, that probably PDK gets more out of the Carrera T powerplant because it’s seamless shifting.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:34 PM   #6133
JST

It’s annoying that they never made the 4.0L 9A2 available in the 992. Would have been such an interesting contrast for the T.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:51 PM   #6134
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

I do not divulge everything to you guys. As we all know if one wants to prohibit things from spreading then you sure the hell do not post it on the Internet and most especially in forums.

This is why this whole board should be completely private like 'The Pub' is, I know there are things I don't bring up in this section of the board because who knows who is reading it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #6135
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s annoying that they never made the 4.0L 9A2 available in the 992. Would have been such an interesting contrast for the T.
100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is why this whole board should be completely private like 'The Pub' is, I know there are things I don't bring up in this section of the board because who knows who is reading it.
Alan, I fully agree with you. Though… I do not know if it would change my perspective on what I stated earlier. The older I get, the more private I have become.

@lemming I am seriously considering switching to the heritage package. I have always like the package, it is the price I take issue with. Are there any deletes or adds that you would do in regards to your spec since you have had possession of it for a few days now?

Edit: I will go ahead and show you guys what I currently have spec’d for the interior as it is likely getting kicked to the curb. Black full leather with deviated Chalk centers and deviated Chalk stitching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8528.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	17221  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8483.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	17222  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8475.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	17223  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8492.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	17224  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8494.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	17225  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8530.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	17226  

Last edited by SCA; 05-14-2024 at 03:20 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:04 PM   #6136
JST

If I’m being honest I don’t love any of the two tone leather in Porsche interiors; to me it always ends up looking like pep boys seat covers.

I do really like the heritage cloth centers, though, and would spec those without hesitation…if it wasn’t for the price.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:36 PM   #6137
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
If I’m being honest I don’t love any of the two tone leather in Porsche interiors; to me it always ends up looking like pep boys seat covers.

I do really like the heritage cloth centers, though, and would spec those without hesitation…if it wasn’t for the price.

I initially had Bourdeaux spec’d, but the local dealer has a pre-owned Cayenne S with it and at 12k miles it has not aged well. I also suspect that I would tire of it rather quickly. I have ordered many BMWs with red interiors and it seems to bite me in the ass at resale too.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:53 PM   #6138
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
100%.

Alan, I fully agree with you. Though… I do not know if it would change my perspective on what I stated earlier. The older I get, the more private I have become.

@lemming I am seriously considering switching to the heritage package. I have always like the package, it is the price I take issue with. Are there any deletes or adds that you would do in regards to your spec since you have had possession of it for a few days now?

Edit: I will go ahead and show you guys what I currently have spec’d for the interior as it is likely getting kicked to the curb. Black full leather with deviated Chalk centers and deviated Chalk stitching.
I’m going to show how dumb I am with my comments, but you usually decode me and my comments well.

Lights —> stupid waste of money.

18 way seats —> meh. Do they hold me any better than the 4 way seats I had in my 2018 Carrera T? Nope.

The upgraded leather is lovely. It’s that pure manufaktur grade leather and the cloth inserts are so cool. Is it worth the money? Since this is the last manual (likely) Carrera S, I feel like it is worth it to have a special car.

Special car — the Carrera S is a grand tourer, but i would say with the PASM and active dampers, it is remarkably good at controlling body motions. The rigidity of the cabrio is really good. So a hardtop must be amazing.

I do not think I’ve scraped the car yet, so FAL seems largely unnecessary. The sport exhaust sounds cool, I’m not sure if that is standard with the 7speed manual? The 21” RS wheels are okay. Not totally in love with them.

The uprated “S” motor has noticeably more top end. The standard engine is a mouth breather and runs out of steam at 5500rpms (last gen mind you) and felt winded. Just my opinion. It feels like the S motor sling shots the car forward from 3500-5500 (as high as I have taken it to date). And so I’m not even at peak HP (I do not think).

Hope this feedback helps. I’m enjoying the car.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 PM   #6139
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I’m going to show how dumb I am with my comments, but you usually decode me and my comments well.

Lights —> stupid waste of money.

18 way seats —> meh. Do they hold me any better than the 4 way seats I had in my 2018 Carrera T? Nope.

The upgraded leather is lovely. It’s that pure manufaktur grade leather and the cloth inserts are so cool. Is it worth the money? Since this is the last manual (likely) Carrera S, I feel like it is worth it to have a special car.

Special car — the Carrera S is a grand tourer, but i would say with the PASM and active dampers, it is remarkably good at controlling body motions. The rigidity of the cabrio is really good. So a hardtop must be amazing.

I do not think I’ve scraped the car yet, so FAL seems largely unnecessary. The sport exhaust sounds cool, I’m not sure if that is standard with the 7speed manual? The 21” RS wheels are okay. Not totally in love with them.

The uprated “S” motor has noticeably more top end. The standard engine is a mouth breather and runs out of steam at 5500rpms (last gen mind you) and felt winded. Just my opinion. It feels like the S motor sling shots the car forward from 3500-5500 (as high as I have taken it to date). And so I’m not even at peak HP (I do not think).

Hope this feedback helps. I’m enjoying the car.

Thank you!

Yep, the Matrix LED lights are totally a waste of money, but aesthetically they look so much better. Unfortunately, they one of my non-negotiables for the new order.

Ugh… sounds like I am adding the Heritage package. Might as well get this one exactly the way I want it instead of being cheap and attempting to save some money.

What are your thoughts on the ambient lighting? I didn’t have it on the 992 T and many 992 owners on Rennlist seem to be in the camp of do not waste your money.

I keep waffling on whether or not to do the leather wrapped steering column.

Edit: Glad you are enjoying it!
Old 05-15-2024, 09:18 AM   #6140
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
https://mart.pca.org/news/the-997-do...d-porsche-911s
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote