carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-08-2024, 02:11 PM   #5851
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Not sure I followed all of this-- what vendor change are you referring to?

VAG as a whole does seem to really be struggling with software. The PPE cars (Macan ev, etc) were all delayed by years due to software issues. And they still haven't quite figured out how to do OTA updates consistently and reliably.

+1
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:14 PM   #5852
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Not sure I followed all of this-- what vendor change are you referring to?

VAG as a whole does seem to really be struggling with software. The PPE cars (Macan ev, etc) were all delayed by years due to software issues. And they still haven't quite figured out how to do OTA updates consistently and reliably.
The vendors I am speaking to are the random 1000 or so vendors that make different parts for the Porsche 9A2 GT3 powerplant. All they have to do is make one design change and then change vendors for 5 parts —and the “reliability” is falsehood. Now you have ITBs and new parts. Were they forged correctly? Were they sandblasted to specification? A lot of new variables means the 992.1 GT3 will not be as reliable as a 992.2 GT3.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:52 PM   #5853
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The vendors I am speaking to are the random 1000 or so vendors that make different parts for the Porsche 9A2 GT3 powerplant. All they have to do is make one design change and then change vendors for 5 parts —and the “reliability” is falsehood. Now you have ITBs and new parts. Were they forged correctly? Were they sandblasted to specification? A lot of new variables means the 992.1 GT3 will not be as reliable as a 992.2 GT3.
I see. Yeah, for sure- any change is a potential failure point. And Porsche does have a track record of engineering in "time bombs" with each new engine redesign.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:11 AM   #5854
SCA
Jaded

2025 Porsche 911 to Add a Powerful Hybrid and a New 3.6L Engine - UPDATED: MAR 9, 2024

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...e-911-preview/
Old 03-11-2024, 11:28 AM   #5855
robg
Carmudgeon

Dial 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
2025 Porsche 911 to Add a Powerful Hybrid and a New 3.6L Engine - UPDATED: MAR 9, 2024

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...e-911-preview/

If that’s true about the next GT3 engine being 3.6 instead of 4.0 I’d think they’d have to add some form of hybridization to get the necessary power…

Pretty cool about sharing some hybrid tech with rimac though!

Overall it sounds like they’re taking a pretty conservative approach toward electrifying the 911 line up. Sounds like Gen z will be in their 911 buying years and we’ll be at car shows sitting in lawn chairs with 80s music blasting by the time we see an EV 911

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #5856
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Sounds like Gen z will be in their 911 buying years and we’ll be at car shows sitting in lawn chairs with 80s music blasting by the time we see an EV 911
Yup.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:58 PM   #5857
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
If that’s true about the next GT3 engine being 3.6 instead of 4.0 I’d think they’d have to add some form of hybridization to get the necessary power…

Pretty cool about sharing some hybrid tech with rimac though!

Overall it sounds like they’re taking a pretty conservative approach toward electrifying the 911 line up. Sounds like Gen z will be in their 911 buying years and we’ll be at car shows sitting in lawn chairs with 80s music blasting by the time we see an EV 911

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I’m good. Happy to sit this out.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #5858
SCA
Jaded

Obviously take this with a grain of salt.

The Porsche 911 Hybrid Debuts Early This Summer
The 911 is going (partially) electric.

https://www.motor1.com/news/712023/p...-summer-debut/

Edit: Added recent statement from PAG CEO. As well as a screenshot from another PAG article.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7057.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	17088  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7058.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	17089  

Last edited by SCA; 03-12-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:27 PM   #5859
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Obviously take this with a grain of salt.

The Porsche 911 Hybrid Debuts Early This Summer
The 911 is going (partially) electric.

https://www.motor1.com/news/712023/p...-summer-debut/

Edit: Added recent statement from PAG CEO. As well as a screenshot from another PAG article.
Seems like all these articles are speculating about which models within the 911 range will be hybridized and to what extent. Reading between the lines in all of these various articles/rumors, my guess is:
-911 Turbo will get a more significant hybrid setup with electric power really adding to the performance. Will still be turbo engine at its core. Hybrid components could be based on Rimac's technology.
-GTS: Based on precedent, this will probably be de-tuned version of whatever the Turbo gets. I'm skeptical of earlier rumors that they were going to make this an NA engine paired with a hybrid.
-Carrera/Carrera S: Carry over of existing engines but adding a 48V mild hybrid system (likely similar to what we see in BMW/Audi,etc). which likely wont add much in the way of performance.
-GT3: Sounds like it will be a new NA motor; unclear if it will get any hybridization at this point.
-GT2: all speculation (first time i've seen rumors of what this could be were in this article). Based on precedent, it would make sense for it to be highly tuned version of whatever is in the Turbo

And then of course all the various special editions that Porsche will spin out from these core models....

I do believe a manual option will continue to be offered on atleast some models but I have no idea which ones. Definitely GT3 as Porsche has learned that manual + GT cars = big $$$$$.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:57 PM   #5860
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
-Carrera/Carrera S: Carry over of existing engines but adding a 48V mild hybrid system (likely similar to what we see in BMW/Audi,etc). which likely wont add much in the way of performance.
-
You make a good point ... what is the purpose of 48V mild hybrid ? We have it in the M340 and I don't notice anything other then the missing Auto start/stop button

To me the M340 engine feels very similar to the 340i we had before it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote