carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-26-2024, 03:59 PM   #5791
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Meaning that the dealer insisted you add certain options? Or pointed out something you'd overlooked? Curious as to what you changed after consulting w/ them
Well.

One example is that I had selected 14 way seats. And got laughed at, so I think it got switched to 18 way seats.

I might have also checked PCCBs, and also got laughed at. So I think it’s red calipers and steelies.

There were some things added for spatial awareness (360 view) too —small things like that. I don’t even remember if I went all out on the highest spec headlamps for this build.

I was surprised that I had to select the sport exhaust. But I was thrilled (hey, Stockholm syndrome is real) that the sport chrono and PASM might be standard with the 7 speed manual.

I might have mentally been anguished by not ordering a GTS, but it feels like the S model is more in line with the reality of how this car would be driven. I used to really groove on the GTS thing. But with some time and distance, I don’t really understand it, in the 911 lineup. Maybe I understand it more with the 718 (4.0 litre NA engine), or on the Panamera/Cayenne/Macan.

The 911 GTS is basically $200,000. At which point I get confused because it’s not a GT3 (not even close), it’s not a Turbo (not even close) and it’s basically the S with 30 more horsepower.

For me personally? I would bristle the first time someone asked “so how come you didn’t get the GT3?” Or “did you think about the Turbo too?”

I guess if you have a Carrera S, people might ask why you didn’t get the Carrera T or the GTS. I’d love a 992 Carrera T but no cabrio. And as for the GTS, I do hate the black wheels and I think having center lock wheels on a non GT 911 is try-hard.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:10 PM   #5792
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Meaning that the dealer insisted you add certain options? Or pointed out something you'd overlooked? Curious as to what you changed after consulting w/ them

My SA later did this, but it went in one ear and out the other. It was more of a suggestion and fortunately he did not push the matter either. I told him in the beginning that I did not want to load up a T and he agreed that it would be senseless. It truly defeats the purpose of a T and I see it happen often on Rennlist where individuals overload their T with options that easily puts them in the range of a well equipped S. Sometimes well beyond it too.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:15 PM   #5793
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Well.

One example is that I had selected 14 way seats. And got laughed at, so I think it got switched to 18 way seats.

I might have also checked PCCBs, and also got laughed at. So I think it’s red calipers and steelies.

There were some things added for spatial awareness (360 view) too —small things like that. I don’t even remember if I went all out on the highest spec headlamps for this build.

I was surprised that I had to select the sport exhaust. But I was thrilled (hey, Stockholm syndrome is real) that the sport chrono and PASM might be standard with the 7 speed manual.

I might have mentally been anguished by not ordering a GTS, but it feels like the S model is more in line with the reality of how this car would be driven. I used to really groove on the GTS thing. But with some time and distance, I don’t really understand it, in the 911 lineup. Maybe I understand it more with the 718 (4.0 litre NA engine), or on the Panamera/Cayenne/Macan.

The 911 GTS is basically $200,000. At which point I get confused because it’s not a GT3 (not even close), it’s not a Turbo (not even close) and it’s basically the S with 30 more horsepower.

For me personally? I would bristle the first time someone asked “so how come you didn’t get the GT3?” Or “did you think about the Turbo too?”

I guess if you have a Carrera S, people might ask why you didn’t get the Carrera T or the GTS. I’d love a 992 Carrera T but no cabrio. And as for the GTS, I do hate the black wheels and I think having center lock wheels on a non GT 911 is try-hard.
Ha- makes sense. I'd probably spec 14 ways as well-- I just dont vibe w/ the 18 ways that i've tried so I guess i'd have to accept the ridicule. I've spent enough time on the Porsche configurator to know all about that "stockholm syndrom". They wear you down to the point where you get exctied when you realize they've included anything as standard or no charge. I was amazed recently when I was playing around on the Macan EV configurator that adaptive cruise control is standard now. LOL.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:19 PM   #5794
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
My SA later did this, but it went in one ear and out the other. It was more of a suggestion and fortunately he did not push the matter either. I told him in the beginning that I did not want to load up a T and he agreed that it would be senseless. It truly defeats the purpose of a T and I see it happen often on Rennlist where individuals overloaded a T with options and it puts them in the range of a well equipped S. Sometimes beyond it too.
Makes sense. I find that with any Porsche config, I can add about 10-15k worht of options just to get to the stuff that I think should be standard on a 50k car. Adding more than that on a base or T does seem counterproductive. At that point their whole schtick about "making it your own" goes out the window cause I wouldn't be willing to pay even more to get some of the more esoteric or interesting options.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:23 PM   #5795
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Makes sense. I find that with any Porsche config, I can add about 10-15k worht of options just to get to the stuff that I think should be standard on a 50k car. Adding more than that on a base or T does seem counterproductive. At that point their whole schtick about "making it your own" goes out the window cause I wouldn't be willing to pay even more to get some of the more esoteric or interesting options.
There is a guy on Rennlist that has T that just finished production. His config is $174-177k. It is somewhere in that range.

Last edited by SCA; 02-26-2024 at 08:28 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:04 PM   #5796
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Ha- makes sense. I'd probably spec 14 ways as well-- .
I’m only comfortable in the 14 way too … while I know my build which is 5’10” but with shoulders a bit on the wider side, the 18’s are too tight for me.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:12 PM   #5797
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
There is a guy on Rennlist that has T that just finished production. His config is $174-177k. It is somewhere in that range.
Makes no sense to me.

The Carrera T has a handful of key options.

But then it’s dumb, to load the T up. It’s a purist car.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:19 PM   #5798
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Wow…guessing he went nuts with PTS and/or interior leather options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2024, 09:09 AM   #5799
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Well.

Did you go with the heritage interior package? If so that had to be spec'ed with 18 ways.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:51 AM   #5800
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Did you go with the heritage interior package? If so that had to be spec'ed with 18 ways.
Yes.

I’ve seen it in person now a few times. I still love it. The rest of the car is very standard 911 so I hope this interior makes the car feel more unique.