carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #41
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post

Don't mind my tirade. I just saw "almost noone considers a 328i" and couldn't believe it was in print.
Pardon me, I sometimes forget how literal some of you guys are

I was talking primarily about the people here and on other message boards where power reigns supreme..... not the general public, who probably shop 328's against Accords and realize the badge might earn them a few points in exchange for a good lease price.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #42
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
More power? I thought the 328 was 240 or something. Regardless, I was really impressed with the 328's handling ability. It might be a comparison thing for me coming from the 200k mile car, but I was looking for e46s when I test drove the e90. I think it's a much better platform -enough so that I am buying a car I thought I had no interest in.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #43
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
More power? I thought the 328 was 240 or something. Regardless, I was really impressed with the 328's handling ability. It might be a comparison thing for me coming from the 200k mile car, but I was looking for e46s when I test drove the e90. I think it's a much better platform -enough so that I am buying a car I thought I had no interest in.
i drove an e90 with the 3.0litre six recently.

it's in incredibly competent vehicle. i think i've already got that, though. i want something with some hooliganism built into the car, which is why i glossed over the 328. it's fine. but to be honest with you, driven back to back with the MCS, it lacks some torque big time. different engine characteristics, but it would drive me crazy to have to spool up the engine to get some torque in stop and go situations --this is where either a turbocharged engine (twin scroll only apply) or larger displacement six/eight wins.

i had forgotten about the g8. i'll be driving a CTS 3.6DI when they start shipping with manual trannys --at the moment they are not. and the G8 won't ship with the T6060 until its second model year.

absolutely on point here. if the g8, 335i, CTS DI can do the job, i'd not see the reason to buy a 60k car as my commuter. it's simply a waste of money and i'm not one to impress co-workers or people i don't know.

i'll be honest and tell you that i hope like heck i don't like the CTS-V. i'd likely never consider the e90m3 because if i was going to buy that car, i'd just get a 911 as a daily driver, to be perfectly honest. when things get closer and closer to 70k, the 911 is always the winner to me.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #44
lemming
Western Anomaly

just an afterthought: as curb weights creep up these days....the mustang GT sure doesn't seem all that heavy anymore, does it?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #45
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
- well, there is that motorcycle problem - hopefully you'll grow out of that
Couldn't agree more... not having room for more than one motorcycle is indeed a problem. Hopefully I'll grow out of the condo soon and into a house with a garage
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #46
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I think for about 60k an 05 997 base would make an excellent commuter. Torquey and light...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #47
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I think for about 60k an 05 997 base would make an excellent commuter. Torquey and light...
i guess that's what i mean.

you could pay MORE than 60k for the new M3 or for the CTS-V, and i'll tell ya, you'll get one helluva car. smells like a duck. quacks like one. but they're both really moving hammers and you'll feel that weight everytime you accelerate or decelerate. i've been there. i know what 3850lbs feel like day in/day out for 2 years.

it's tedious after awhile, even with >300ft-lbs at 1200rpms.

that's part of the issue, too.