carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #41
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post

I ordered a 335i with a bunch of stuff. No nav on account of I simply cannot warm up to idrive and I can't stomach the cost of $2100 for a unit that will not work as well as my $300 Garmin. But all the packages, hd radio, ipod adapter, comfort access (yes, I am getting old, but I think it's cool) and . . . I think that's it. Monaco blue with black interior.

I have a car buying problem, no doubt. I just really, really liked driving this car and my wife discovered some safety concerns about child seats in the e36 328 that made her not want to let our kids in it. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I jumped at the chance to start considering replacements. I thought I was going to get an e46 until I ended up on test driving the e90.
Congrats! It's very solid and smooth. I agree with indymike that it's not as fun as an e36m3 (or even a e46 zhp), if you're looking for comfort & solidity as well, there is no reason to buy an e46 at this point. Well, price would be a reason but the clean ones are still quite expensive.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #42
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
This place is quickly becoming E90post.com.

PS - Congrats on the purchase rwg. Nice color for sure.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #43
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
anything on the horizon where the 335i might come equipped with a limited slip unit?

it's good that they do not for now because it keeps me from jumping in --but it is a real issue for me even with snow tires driving to/from work.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #44
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post

I ordered a 335i with a bunch of stuff. No nav on account of I simply cannot warm up to idrive and I can't stomach the cost of $2100 for a unit that will not work as well as my $300 Garmin. But all the packages, hd radio, ipod adapter, comfort access (yes, I am getting old, but I think it's cool) and . . . I think that's it. Monaco blue with black interior.
The cool thing with built in nav is all the cars' functions are displayed - temp, gas mileage (and an alternate gas mileage reading), radio stuff - it's kind of neat in a Star Trekian sort of way......, but that dash hump blows and there's no way it's worth the two grand.

As for Monaco Blue - what can I say, it's the best color hands down, just ask the man who owns one

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #45
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
anything on the horizon where the 335i might come equipped with a limited slip unit?

it's good that they do not for now because it keeps me from jumping in --but it is a real issue for me even with snow tires driving to/from work.
All things considered, yeah, it'd be nice to have the lsd, but is it really enough of an issue to stop you from buying?

I've got four snows on the zhp right now and driving through the snow, with DSC off, is a blast, even on the steep and windy hills near my home.

Turn DSC on and the intrusiveness of the system will slow you way, way down before you could get into any real trouble.

There's always the XI option.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #46
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

Not in the near term, though there is always the aftermarket. And, as Sharp11 says, xDrive is an option, too, though that has some handling and weight penalties.

Bizarrely, I still haven't driven the 335 in serious snow, despite spending several days in Northeast Ohio where you can usually count on a good dumping, so I can't provide any thoughts on its all-weather capabilities.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #47
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Thanks you guys.

Zach, we ran lease numbers vs buy numbers and decided that after three years, we would be several thousand up with a finance. Granted the payment is higher, but at the end of 3 years, there will be something to show for it. The lease deal is not attractive atm.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
For the whole trip? Yes, mid to low 20s. On the highway it will get 27-29, though obviously less in the mountains. On our first leg back, from Cleveland to Breezewood, PA, we got 26.7. That's pretty fully laden.
Off topic, but I used to do that same trip about once a month in my M3. When I had to use the A/C it was about 26 MPG average. With just the sunroof open on the nice days it was never below 28MPG and this was traveling at extra-legal speeds. Through MD where it's pretty flat, I saw over 30 while going 75MPH. BMWs are really astonishing in their ability to get good gas mileage.

Congrats on the car purchase, Rob.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #49
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
BMWs are really astonishing in their ability to get good gas mileage.
Agree. We got something like 33 MPG in the Marketing Package (ZHP) 330i several years ago, from Mpls to Tampa. I think that was the only time that I ever used 6th gear.

My uncle claims to get 34-35 HWY MPG in his 525i 6 spd. He also never revs the engine higher than necessary, and always goes the speed limit, which helps a lot.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #50
hfh330i
Jaded

For a comparison: on a recent 100 mile trip (according to the OBC) I averaged 75 mph and 24.3 mpg. Not too bad for a 20 yo 3.5 l staight six with 130K miles.