carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-09-2022, 07:27 AM   #481
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Ha!

Fixed… now it is here permanently. kidding…
Thanks
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #482
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Jst that red/beige boxster is beautiful, the problem with color is it is a very personal choice.

But the crazy part is you have people here driving yellow and orange cars and you’re asking their opinion on color

Yeah had a couple of drinks and will want to delete this post tomorrow
Perfect.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #483
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I rarely drink beer anymore and when I do I cant get past more then one. I get super full.

I still don’t have a 911 though??!! =P
Edit: Bare with me as I am going off course briefly…

I hear ya! Beer and/or liquor tend to bloat the hell out of me… In all seriousness though, I totally gave up all alcohol over fourteen months ago. For the past couple years I would take a hiatus from any alcohol beginning in Feb until Memorial Day weekend and then in early Dec 2020 I decided to take a hiatus until my 50th birthday. In May, just weeks prior to the big day I made the decision to continue on. During this process I have lost over 1500+ pounds. 30+ myself and the other approx 1470+ lbs were my alleged friends that consider themselves to be “social drinkers” but in reality are much more than that. That realization has dawned on me over the course of fourteen months. It is very interesting the things that you come to realize when your mind is not clouded from alcohol. It definitely has been a learning experience.

Keep in mind my 911 is old, 13 model years and it was overpriced given the current market, regardless I still get to open the door everyone morning and see that beautiful thing comfortably tucked away in the garage.

Okay… returning you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by SCA; 02-09-2022 at 08:52 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #484
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ha ha ha fair.

Well as of now it’s shark blue/black but we’ll see if red/tan wins out. Or red/black plus 2K for beer.
I think red with tan is classic. I just wouldn't want to maintain tan on a keeper.

The fuzz bothers me. But the GTS pkg is a pretty damn good deal. Also, many/most Spyders get the fuzz. On an occasionally used car as this would be for me, I think the fuzz could hold up well. I'm grateful for the $0 option to get he wheel an shifter in leather. That is key.

There is a way to get dull leather and then buy into the stitching, etc., but it costs a lot more for an equivalent spec.

Finally, on paint, I do hate the cost of Shark - a lot. I wish I could deal with Guards. Not ruled out yet. Haven't ruled out yellow or white either. Not considering anything else. Surely not spending >$2k on a different shade of red that I don't absolutely love.

And JST and I have had a lot of similar, exactly colored cars. I don't know what that means, but it must mean something. Should we trust each other's opinions on color more, less?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #485
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The GTS package is a good deal? This GTS package? For $3,700?

* Stitching in deviated color
* Seat belts in deviated color
* GTS’ logo embroidered in deviated color on headrests
* Floor mats edged in black with stitching in deviated color and "PORSCHE" logo in deviated color
* Tachometer in deviated color
* Dashboard trim, door trim, and center console trim in Carbon Fiber.

Maybe just me but I don't want any of that stuff (deviated stitching would be nice, maybe, but I'm not willing to pay for it). If colored seat belts and tach were standard I think I'd be willing to pay extra to delete them

I'm still personally waffling on whether I want the leather interior with Race-Tex seat centers (which also makes a bunch of other stuff Race-Tex) or just leather everywhere. I'm leaning towards the latter today, but the answer might change in a week

Last edited by John V; 02-09-2022 at 09:37 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:34 AM   #486
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
But the crazy part is you have people here driving yellow and orange cars and you’re asking their opinion on color
The man currently has a red car that he calls orange.

And is he asking our opinions? Or is he looking for confirmation that what he really wants to do isn't stupid?

When I read the post with the black and tan interior comparisons, I read it as "JST really wants the red/tan combo." It's his car. That's what I think he should do (or at least opt for at the moment and leave it open to revisitation). Not because I like it, but because the signals he's sent us over years on these forums all point to that's what speaks to him. Like you said it's personal.

I don't think it's our opinions of the color choices as much as trying to help him find peace with his.

Or, maybe, I'm totally off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Lol. Not everyone wants a grandpa spec gray car with tan interior
When you go out somewhere doing a regular thing, park the car, walk away, and you look back at the car...what color combo is going to make you go, "Yeah," vs which color combo is going to make you go, "Sigh...I should have..."

For most of my life, I preferred darker, subdued colors. Whatever I was driving, I wanted it to look as anonymous as possible. As plain as possible. As unassuming as possible. I wanted whatever I was driving to blend in as much as possible. I did not want it to catch the eye.

Bodywork and shape are what they are, but bright, fully saturated, and unusual colors make people take notice more often because the colors themselves stand out against the often boring and drab backgrounds where cars usually exist. They're extroverted. They're flashy. There's stigma that goes with them. That's something I generally don't want and understand other people not wanting.

When I originally ordered the FoST, I ordered the yellow/orange color because I wanted to try something with color in my life. All that dark and subdued stuff above also applies to most of my clothes (see other thread ) and my taste in most things. I wanted to expand my horizons and try something that pushed my comfort level. The blue I bought was next best choice and I was impatient, but despite being kinda bright, it was still within the boring spectrum. Next car. That one wound up being dark gray. If I had found and been able to make a deal for a yellow or "Krypton Green" one, I would have bought it, but it didn't happen. The car after that, my first two choices were the orange I got (which I wish was closer to a pure orange instead of as tilted to red as it is) and the cross of piss yellow and puke green highlighter (and white was also a recurring consideration as the 1LE blackout treatment creates a unique police car like look that I thought was interesting). As the search got more difficult, I expanded to include blue, gray, and black as I grew increasingly worried that I wouldn't find a car at all. So glad I was able to buy an orange one. It's been a different ownership experience. I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm more self-conscious driving this car than any earlier ones and it's kind of weird, but also kind of invigorating. It makes the "special" purchase this was feel like I'm getting a lot more value out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I think red with tan is classic.
If there's a color combo in your head that's part of the perfect car, no matter how it got there, it's there. If it's red with tan, and owning a car in that classic combo is what's going to scratch that itch, scratch it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:45 AM   #487
JST

Quote:
The GTS package is a good deal? This GTS package? For $3,700?

* Stitching in deviated color
* Seat belts in deviated color
* GTS’ logo embroidered in deviated color on headrests
* Floor mats edged in black with stitching in deviated color and "PORSCHE" logo in deviated color
* Tachometer in deviated color
* Dashboard trim, door trim, and center console trim in Carbon Fiber.

Maybe just me but I don't want any of that stuff (deviated stitching would be nice, maybe, but I'm not willing to pay for it). If colored seat belts and tach were standard I think I'd be willing to pay extra to delete them

I'm still personally waffling on whether I want the leather interior with Race-Tex seat centers (which also makes a bunch of other stuff Race-Tex) or just leather everywhere. I'm leaning towards the latter today, but the answer might change in a week

Yeah, the "GTS Package" isn't a great deal, but the GTS stock interior is pretty nice by itself; it's a decent zero cost option. The $2K leather interior makes a lot of stuff leather, which is obvs nicer (and I know JV has had it in...both his other cars? At least one of them), but since 100 large is my self-imposed limit, going with leather means either cheaper paint or no nav.

I do like red and tan, and it is classic. That said, the M3 is red/orange and tan, and while I love it, I'm not sure I need two of them. And red and tan is classic Porsche but really more classic Ferrari. And I find red and tan Ferraris boring.

I've never regretted getting a bold color in a car, except maybe the red Golf R--I should have gotten blue. So maybe that tells me something?

I'm not posting here for affirmation, really, just want to see what others think for the hell of it and it serves as a way of heightening the anticipation.

Well, maybe I am seeking a little bit of affirmation on shark blue, just because it's a bit of a weird color.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #488
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I agree with Clyde, and please don't take my comments as criticism. Based on the used Porsche market, lots of people really love tan and brown interiors. If that's what you want, go for it.

I will say that after the Shark blue discussion earlier, I'm now noticing way more cars on the road that are painted that color. I'm changing my mind on it a bit - I really don't like it that much in real life.

edit: I agree that the basic GTS interior config is nice. I'm just not a fan of the standard Porsche interior dashboard / door plastic / vinyl material. It feels and looks really cheap to me. Both my prior Boxsters were full leather cars and I'm confident I'd regret not getting it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #489
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
And red and tan is classic Porsche but really more classic Ferrari.
Red with black interior is what's always been in my head for Porsche. Red and tan, Ferrari.

Quote:
And I find red and tan Ferraris boring.
I'd actually got red and tan Ferrari before red and black. So, maybe that's kind of weird.[/quote]

Quote:
I will say that after the Shark blue discussion earlier, I'm now noticing way more cars on the road that are painted that color. I'm changing my mind on it a bit - I really don't like it that much in real life.
My wife's RAV4 could have been Toyota's version of the Shark Blue. I half heartedly suggested it at the time. It did not go over well.

But it was a RAV4, not a Porsche.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #490
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Red with black interior is what's always been in my head for Porsche. Red and tan, Ferrari.

Yes, this felt like what every 911 was in the 80s.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote