carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #461
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Wow. I can't even remember the last time I listened to a radio station. If I had to guess... 2014ish?
I get irrationally angry every time I get into a car and the radio plays. I would spend quite a lot of money to 100% remove all radio functionality from my cars.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #462
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I get irrationally angry every time I get into a car and the radio plays. I would spend quite a lot of money to 100% remove all radio functionality from my cars.
So you drive in complete silence ? I always listen to either Howard Stern or comedy channels with the occasional music now and then.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #463
clyde
Chief title editor

My wife listens to regular radio a lot. A couple years ago, we left for her mother's place in her car one Friday evening at rush hour and got stuck in traffic between DC and Baltimore. Over the course of an hour, they played four songs (I counted). IIRC, nearly 30 minutes were ads, and the rest was news and traffic. It was DC101, which is a rock station. They have a morning guy that's all talk, but they are otherwise supposed to be a music station.

There's a San Diego radio station that I've loved since I first moved there in 1989, 91.1 91X. In an era that has seen the near total demise of locally owned and programmed radio, they are still local and independent. Their format was "alternative/college radio" (long before "alternative" was a format) from some point before then until about two weeks ago.*

What they played was generally what I liked and listened to minus some of the hardercore stuff. They played a lot of stuff from proto-punk through whatever the latest was. At times, they slipped a bit putting a few things into way-too-heavy-rotation, but the mix was always good. They also had a couple great Sunday morning shows: "Resurrection Sunday" which was the same format, but limited to stuff that was at least 10 years old that was followed by "Church of Bob," a pretty good reggae show plus a fantastic Sunday night show called "Loudspeaker" which was all local San Diego bands. There was also some Mexican programming on Sundays that met their regulatory requirements since their transmitter was in Tijuana.

Overall, the radio station a little more narrowly focused and less eclectic than WHFS and I'd have a hard time picking which station I liked better. I sometimes listen to a stream of their live broadcast.

* Their format changed a couple weeks ago. It is no longer "alternative." It is now "classic alternative." WTF?! is that? From the sound of it, it's going to be as if they transported back to 2000 and play what they were playing then with occasional curated songs from 2000-2020 and a sprinkling of some current. If they changed their format without saying anything, I'm not sure man people would have picked up on it very quickly.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #464
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Just programmed all my radio (function) buttons. Love them!
Nice! I sat in a alpine white M440i today. Local center just got two and a X3 M Comp, all available too.

I think it was fairly foolish to delete the buttons that are typically found here. The alternative of burying simple functions that are often used within iDrive seems like such a bright idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C625D5EC-BA5F-4BD7-AE8B-CE03897806B6.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	14398  

Last edited by SCA; 03-14-2022 at 08:06 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #465
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So you drive in complete silence ? I always listen to either Howard Stern or comedy channels with the occasional music now and then.
No. I listen to music or podcasts from my phone frequently. I just don't ever want to hear any of the following:
1) Radio static
2) Random talk radio (almost always incredibly offensive)
3) Random awful radio music

Maybe I should program all the presets to NPR, but that would be a lot of work.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 03-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #466
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
No. I listen to music or podcasts from my phone frequently. I just don't ever want to hear any of the following:
1) Radio static

We need to get you in a modern BMW. The radio buttons are now for a wide variety of car functions (or radio, if you must). I have mine programmed to tire pressure, car play, Google maps, etc. There might also be a local NPR station in there, too

Of course, all that coolness and convenience disappears with iDrive 8…
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:59 PM   #467
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
My wife listens to regular radio a lot. A couple years ago, we left for her mother's place in her car one Friday evening at rush hour and got stuck in traffic between DC and Baltimore. Over the course of an hour, they played four songs (I counted). IIRC, nearly 30 minutes were ads, and the rest was news and traffic. It was DC101, which is a rock station. They have a morning guy that's all talk, but they are otherwise supposed to be a music station.

There's a San Diego radio station that I've loved since I first moved there in 1989, 91.1 91X. In an era that has seen the near total demise of locally owned and programmed radio, they are still local and independent. Their format was "alternative/college radio" (long before "alternative" was a format) from some point before then until about two weeks ago.*

What they played was generally what I liked and listened to minus some of the hardercore stuff. They played a lot of stuff from proto-punk through whatever the latest was. At times, they slipped a bit putting a few things into way-too-heavy-rotation, but the mix was always good. They also had a couple great Sunday morning shows: "Resurrection Sunday" which was the same format, but limited to stuff that was at least 10 years old that was followed by "Church of Bob," a pretty good reggae show plus a fantastic Sunday night show called "Loudspeaker" which was all local San Diego bands. There was also some Mexican programming on Sundays that met their regulatory requirements since their transmitter was in Tijuana.

Overall, the radio station a little more narrowly focused and less eclectic than WHFS and I'd have a hard time picking which station I liked better. I sometimes listen to a stream of their live broadcast.

* Their format changed a couple weeks ago. It is no longer "alternative." It is now "classic alternative." WTF?! is that? From the sound of it, it's going to be as if they transported back to 2000 and play what they were playing then with occasional curated songs from 2000-2020 and a sprinkling of some current. If they changed their format without saying anything, I'm not sure man people would have picked up on it very quickly.
I did not know that and that is my local station. I listen to 94.9 nowadays more then 91.1x though.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:59 AM   #468
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
1) Radio static

One hundred percent agree. Seems like every time I get into a rental car the radio is on at full volume Some cars default to the radio if no paired bluetooth devices are present. Pretty annoying.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:53 AM   #469
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
90.7 WFUV is great in the NYC area (on any day other than Sunday). I like the retro feeling of having good DJ's. I'll usually switch between FUV and a few Sirius stations on my short drives.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #470
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
We need to get you in a modern BMW. The radio buttons are now for a wide variety of car functions (or radio, if you must). I have mine programmed to tire pressure, car play, Google maps, etc. There might also be a local NPR station in there, too

Of course, all that coolness and convenience disappears with iDrive 8…
There is only one thing that I do in a modern car: Find the carplay function. All the rest is irrelevant.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo