carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #31
clyde
Chief title editor

If you read the CR article, one of the CR staff members identified has the last name "Funkhauser" which is an awesome name. I want that name.

From now on, I would like everyone to address me as Clyde Funkhauser.

Thank you very much.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #32
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
LOL.

Why?

It's literally the opposite of exhausting.

You want to slow down, you lift your foot up. Car slows down.

It feels like a manual transmission car that is always in the right (low) gear to provide engine braking.

It takes some getting used to (though not very much), but once you do it gives you a level of precise control over vehicle speed that you simply don't get in other cars. It's a really big part of what makes driving a Tesla so much different than just driving a car with a slushbox.
This.

And Tesla has 2 sets of options so you can find the right combination that works for you:

First is the regen strength - You pick between standard and low. Standard feels a lot like a downshift and engine brake with a manual transmission. Lee feels like lifting of the throttle in a traditional automatic — not much engine braking.

There is also a “stop mode”, with 3 choices now:
- Creep, which basically imitates a slushy - you lift off the brakes and the car will creep forward
- Roll, which is basically like being in neutral with a manual
- Hold - applies the brakes to hold you stopped with no foot on either pedal. Press the accelerator to move. This was added about 2 years ago.

The combination of standard regen and hold mode gives you 1-pedal driving. You only really need to use the brake for defensive driving or stopping later than normal (unexpected yellow lights for example). I love this setting — it’s better than a manual transmission
Old 04-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #33
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Because I like to be able to lift and coast. One pedal driving means that you have to hold your foot in place.

Having to hold my foot in place (because the pedal was so stupidly light that it would go to the floor if you leaned on it) was why I ultimately couldn't live with the WRX.
Once pedal driving is not an on-off switch... you can exert a lot of speed control with subtle shifts of your foot. A full list of will create regen, but you can also lift just a little bit and get a gentler slow down.

Plus you could use low regen and get more of that coast feeling (albeit with ie regen and a small impact on range)
Old 04-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #34
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
As for build quality - I also agree with JST.
[a bunch of specific build quality issues you experienced]
One these things are fixed, the cars have been rock solid and very reliable.
Not sure we're all defining "build quality" the same way.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #35
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Thi may have been mentioned elsewhere in another thread, but Honda just announced no more ICE by 2040
Old 04-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #36
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Once pedal driving is not an on-off switch... you can exert a lot of speed control with subtle shifts of your foot. A full list of will create regen, but you can also lift just a little bit and get a gentler slow down.

Plus you could use low regen and get more of that coast feeling (albeit with ie regen and a small impact on range)
Can you disable it entirely? Telling me that subtle shifts of my foot make a huge difference is not selling this to me.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #37
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Thi may have been mentioned elsewhere in another thread, but Honda just announced no more ICE by 2040
Ugh (for the industry as a whole). But for Honda, sure. That makes sense.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #38
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Can you disable it entirely? Telling me that subtle shifts of my foot make a huge difference is not selling this to me.
Honestly I don't know the answer to this, but this is one of those things you have to drive and experience for yourself. I could write an 8,000 word essay on why it's a better experience than driving a slushbox, but until you try it you won't know whether for you it's transcendent, intolerable, or somewhere in between.

I keep circling back to this point: EVs have different strengths and weaknesses than ICE cars. They drive differently--in a lot of ways better, and in some ways worse. But not all EVs are the same. Having driven a Taycan back-to-back with a Tesla, I'm fascinated by the different approaches the companies are taking in driving dynamics. Different people might prefer one over the other, but until you drive both, you really can't know which floats your boat.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #39
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
This.

And Tesla has 2 sets of options so you can find the right combination that works for you:

First is the regen strength - You pick between standard and low. Standard feels a lot like a downshift and engine brake with a manual transmission. Lee feels like lifting of the throttle in a traditional automatic — not much engine braking.

There is also a “stop mode”, with 3 choices now:
- Creep, which basically imitates a slushy - you lift off the brakes and the car will creep forward
- Roll, which is basically like being in neutral with a manual
- Hold - applies the brakes to hold you stopped with no foot on either pedal. Press the accelerator to move. This was added about 2 years ago.

The combination of standard regen and hold mode gives you 1-pedal driving. You only really need to use the brake for defensive driving or stopping later than normal (unexpected yellow lights for example). I love this setting — it’s better than a manual transmission
I have never test driven a tesla but I think it would be non-issue, and I think I would prefer heavy regen. Based on two things:

- test drove an i3, it was an easy adjustment to one-pedal, I only used the brake to test it, did not seem necessary for smooth driving with passengers

- motorcycling, most bikes I have owned have very strong compression braking (must have to do with engine size in relation to weight of vehicle). It's normal to combine that with actual brakes..

This is one of the attributes I'd be looking forward to in an EV.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #40
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I have never test driven a tesla but I think it would be non-issue, and I think I would prefer heavy regen. Based on two things:

- test drove an i3, it was an easy adjustment to one-pedal, I only used the brake to test it, did not seem necessary for smooth driving with passengers

- motorcycling, most bikes I have owned have very strong compression braking (must have to do with engine size in relation to weight of vehicle). It's normal to combine that with actual brakes..

This is one of the attributes I'd be looking forward to in an EV.
My experience with the i3 was that the regen was OK for aggressive driving, but absolutely awful for trying to drive gently.

Edit: But I also try to avoid using the i3 as my metric for electric vehicles.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote