carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #31
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Off-topic, but money is really 'cheap' right now. When people are buying $1M houses for $3k'ish mortgage, it flows freely... $2M is the old $1M. I always worry how bad the collective hangover is going to be.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Looking at Rennlist, wow, there are nearly as many WTB listings as For Sale listings...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #33
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
This is a better comp, though a few things--your car has more miles (which is v bad, in Porsche value-land) but is a 9A1 (good) and this was 9 months ago (values have ticked up since).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-boxster-s-11/

....I can't imagine what other car is out there that can do all the things the Boxster can do (for less money).
Either can I anymore.

Nothing drives as well as a 987 vintage Boxster (in my humble opinion)

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #34
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I intended to drive it this weekend but that didn't come to fruition. I did take a friend for a ride in the RX-8 and a friend took me for a ride in his 991.1 Turbo S. Weather looks nice this week so I'll definitely drive the Boxster at least a couple days.

I got an offer via a PM on Rennlist of $28k pending a PPI. I politely declined that one.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #35
John V
No more BMWs

Same guy came back and offered $28,5 but wanted me to cover the PPI.

I'd really forgotten how much I dislike selling vehicles.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #36
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Same guy came back and offered $28,5 but wanted me to cover the PPI.

I'd really forgotten how much I dislike selling vehicles.
And all you want to do is say FO.

I find those low-ballers come out of the woodwork very fast, playing on sellers’ insecurities about pricing. My response has always been, “Thank you for your interest the car. I have just listed it at a more than fair price, so I am not willing to take a wholesale offer so soon.”
Old 04-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #37
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
And all you want to do is say FO.

I find those low-ballers come out of the woodwork very fast, playing on sellers’ insecurities about pricing. My response has always been, “Thank you for your interest the car. I have just listed it at a more than fair price, so I am not willing to take a wholesale offer so soon.”
What I wrote to his first inquiry:

"Thanks for the offer. I'm happy to arrange for a PPI to be performed at your expense. (List of local reputable shops). While I appreciate your offer I'm currently only considering full-price offers as the car was only listed for sale a few days ago."

I am not one to be offended by lowball offers (and his offer was fair, but I'm not interested in selling at that price). It's just business.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #38
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
What I wrote to his first inquiry:

"Thanks for the offer. I'm happy to arrange for a PPI to be performed at your expense. (List of local reputable shops). While I appreciate your offer I'm currently only considering full-price offers as the car was only listed for sale a few days ago."

I am not one to be offended by lowball offers (and his offer was fair, but I'm not interested in selling at that price). It's just business.
Sounds perfect.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Well, it appears to be sold. A couple from Nebraska (who already own two Boxsters, a 987.1 and a 987.2) is going to drive out in one of them and drive both cars back home sometime in July.

Marisa and I had a long conversation about this on my tow home from New Jersey yesterday. She and I are in the same brain-space with regard to this car: We both love it, but it is going to get less and less use over the next few years, and it makes sense to let it go while values are high. If we find that we miss it too much, when the used market calms down we can pick up a 981S or something else.

Of course, I went to drive it to work this morning and the battery (which I replaced two years ago) is dead flat. It's hooked up to a CTek and I didn't leave any lights on, so I am guessing a cell went bad. Fortunately, the battery has a 3y warranty. I drove the car two weeks ago so it's really odd.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #40
JST

Quote:
Well, it appears to be sold. A couple from Nebraska (who already own two Boxsters, a 987.1 and a 987.2) is going to drive out in one of them and drive both cars back home sometime in July.

Marisa and I had a long conversation about this on my tow home from New Jersey yesterday. She and I are in the same brain-space with regard to this car: We both love it, but it is going to get less and less use over the next few years, and it makes sense to let it go while values are high. If we find that we miss it too much, when the used market calms down we can pick up a 981S or something else.

Of course, I went to drive it to work this morning and the battery (which I replaced two years ago) is dead flat. It's hooked up to a CTek and I didn't leave any lights on, so I am guessing a cell went bad. Fortunately, the battery has a 3y warranty. I drove the car two weeks ago so it's really odd.
Congratulations, ish. It makes a lot of sense to sell now given your circumstances. Hopefully you can find something interesting to replace it that also fits a dog.

Super weird about the Nebraska Boxster collectors, though...I mean, the Boxster is a great car but it's hard to imagine owning three of basically the same car. It's like my friend in HS whose family had 3 Pontiac 6000STEs.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote