carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-11-2023, 10:55 AM   #371
robg
Carmudgeon

GTI Waffle thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Something like this might be cool: https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...cayman/1407922

What I found with my Turo trip was that the total trip cost was quite a bit more than was first quoted, because there is a “trip fee” that they add when you book the reservation that is some percentage of the total cost—plus insurance, etc. Apparently that trip fee varies, so it’s hard to predict until you actually go to make the reservation.

Still, might be worth it to try something cool.

They also have a decent selection of kind of interesting cars at Enterprise, and those can be a lot cheaper. “Full size elite” is an A5 Sport back or Infiniti Q50, eg; not as cool as the Porsche but not a bad road trip car.

+1 on trying enterprise. I got upgraded to a macan a year or so ago. The thing I like about them is you get to walk the lot and pick out a car that looks interesting. I always take a close look at the challengers and chargers as well to see if I can snag one with a v8.

I believe some locations rent 911s and 718s but not sure if the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:47 AM   #372
Nick M3
Relic

If you’re thinking about something simple in the Audi lineup, don’t forget silvercar/ audiondemand.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:39 PM   #373
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
VW care said they do not provider any rental car/loaners, up to the discretion of the dealer. Also no reimbursement for towing it to the dealer.
Almost a month now and still no loaner or info on where my new transmission isVW For The Win
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:54 PM   #374
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Almost a month now and still no loaner or info on where my new transmission isVW For The Win
Ugh
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:32 PM   #375
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
That is Crazy !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #376
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Wow. That’s awful.

And that certainly gives me pause. I would be totally screwed under those circumstances—having just one car.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:26 PM   #377
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Wow. That’s awful.

And that certainly gives me pause. I would be totally screwed under those circumstances—having just one car.
Likewise..and yes agree this sounds awful.

With VW, I feel like I've come back to the idea of a GTI or R many times in the past 15 years. Then, I'll read some horror story about VW service and be put off again.

Although there's probably no correlation to the service department experience, my local VW dealer doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies either-- I have to bug them multiple times to get any answers regarding the order and allocation process.

They do check so many boxes though.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:31 PM   #378
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Totally agree.

And, I’m sure it would be an expensive decision for me, because if I were stuck without a car for a month, I would no doubt go buy something impulsively.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:53 PM   #379
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Like I said before, I was always reluctant about getting a VW because of their reliability issues but this limbo thing is driving me crazy. I have no clue when I will get the new transmission, days, weeks, months, hell if I know. Maybe it was being built in Ukraine like the wiring looms

I am going to call VW corporate on the 1st again since that will be one month exactly. I assume their lawyers have written the warranty well but seems crazy that they leave me hanging with their defective transmission.

Edit: When the engine was bad on my previous GTI, i didn't care that it took long since I had a loaner from day 1.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:00 PM   #380
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Like I said before, I was always reluctant about getting a VW because of their reliability issues but this limbo thing is driving me crazy. I have no clue when I will get the new transmission, days, weeks, months, hell if I know. Maybe it was being built in Ukraine like the wiring looms

I am going to call VW corporate on the 1st again since that will be one month exactly. I assume their lawyers have written the warranty well but seems crazy that they leave me hanging with their defective transmission.

Edit: When the engine was bad on my previous GTI, i didn't care that it took long since I had a loaner from day 1.
Called VW corporate, still no help. They claim they have no way to get info on the part status and confirmed again that they do not provide loaners.

I did ask them about lemon law and they said they could request a buyback. I figure it doesn't hurt so went ahead and asked them to request. Someone is supposed to call me back tomorrow about it.