carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-18-2023, 06:59 PM   #241
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Considering the amount of cars Jon moves out of CA, that sounds like BS
Is that through performance delivery, though?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #242
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Considering the amount of cars Jon moves out of CA, that sounds like BS

Some dealers just don’t want to deal with the headaches of out of state deals (in particular far away buyers and not nearby state buyers). Even if buyer is super cooperative, there’s more work for them with the paperwork, facilitating of out of state reg, waiting on shipping, etc. If they have a strong local market then the deal might not be worth the effort.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #243
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Some dealers just don’t want to deal with the headaches of out of state deals (in particular far away buyers and not nearby state buyers). Even if buyer is super cooperative, there’s more work for them with the paperwork, facilitating of out of state reg, waiting on shipping, etc. If they have a strong local market then the deal might not be worth the effort.
Makes sense. And it’s logical that California would be a strong market for that car.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:00 PM   #244
robg
Carmudgeon

Yeah I’ve noticed that CA dealers are much more reluctant to do out of state deals in the past 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:51 PM   #245
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I definitely will.

Here is a good comparison video of teh MY2021 M550i & M5.

So I finally watched this video … all I can say is he over plays the cars … these are 5 series cars not 3 …. I know my 5er is an awesome car for everyday driving, it has incredible power, handles nicely for the size (has DHP) but he makes it sound like these are sports cars …. They aren’t but for a daily driver I love my M550 for what it is … it certainly isn’t a sports car or a super sports sedan.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 01:44 PM   #246
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
We found a local 2018 M5 in Marina Bay blue. This particular sample was a bit rough from up close, but the paint was in good enough shape to make an assessment, and the verdict is no to Marina bay. It's a nice color and I would consider it in a sportscar, but not on an M5, personally. Too much purple for my liking when in the shade.

That unfortunately brings the colors that we want to one: Donington Grey.

The frustrating part is the the closest one I've found in the last 3 months is this one near LA (still has wrong wheels and no B&W). I know nobody in LA, but my cousin is a bit of a celebrity and lived there for several years. I could call in a favor and see if he knows someone who could check it out and help with this purchase.

Am I being too paranoid? Should I just wait a few more months?

I am under no pressure besides wanting a car with at least a few months of factory warranty left. Considering many 2021's were delivered in the fall, once spring comes around the clock will really start to tick.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #247
SCA
Jaded

I would wait it out until late Jan to mid Feb, maybe even March as the preowned market is still tanking, across the board.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #248
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I would wait it out until late Jan to mid Feb, maybe even March as the preowned market is still tanking, across the board.

BTW, based on some pricing, some dealers have not gotten the memo.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:04 PM   #249
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

BTW, based on some pricing, some dealers have not gotten the memo.

Agreed 100%.

New luxury autos are still doing really well…. I spoke to my CA at BMW a few days ago. He has been there for nearly 42 years and is retiring at the end of January. He stated that had 14.5 delivered for December and prior to noon that day they had sold 4 units, walk-ins. He stated that the last week of the year is typically nuts for them and he foresees having 20+ new units sold for the month of December.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #250
JST

Yeah I suspect you’ll find something closer to you before March, and I also agree that prices are only likely to get better from your perspective.

Restricting yourself to just one color will make it more challenging but I’d still wait. Buying a car from LA is just too much hassle and expense, unless you’re looking to do a cross country drive with your kids over winter break for the experience.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote