carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-14-2024, 06:29 PM   #11
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I think you need to consider generations. I grew up with a guy who owned a pretty sweet 67 in an Ice Blue paint job. (not sure what Chevy called light blue in 67) This was in 1974
I had a '65 Impala wagon that was given to me in 1975 on the condition that I remove it (a tree had started growing between the rear bumper and the body).

I put a 'vette 427 in it (presumably an L71, i just went to the local junkyard and said "gimme a 427 from a 'vette") and did a half-assed (probably closer to fully-assed) manual conversion on it, since the engine came with a manual transmission included. The wagon had a seized 327 in it when I got it, but since it was also offered with a de-tuned 427, the correct motor mount points were already in place.

It had medium green seats and a Cypress (very dark green) paint. The front seat was a bench, of course.

It came with a 4-barrel carb (I forget if it was stock or aftermarket) and was tuned for a really slow idle (you could actually hear each crankshaft rotation at idle). It came that way. I tried turning it up, but with the gas of the day, it would run on after allegedly turning the engine off, and had an annoying tendency to backfire through the carb when rapidly slowing from speed to idle (complete with flames). I ran it without an air cleaner because it kept setting them on fire, until I turned the idle back down.

Had a lot of fun in that car...
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote