carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 AM   #11
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I opted to save $700 when I bought my 330. No regrets.
Best $800 I spent on my M3.

Alex
Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
Best $800 I spent on my M3.

Alex
I agree, well worth it in my case.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #13
JST

I had halogen lights in my 323Ci, US market halogens in my E36 which I replaced with E-code projectors, and Xenons in both the 330 and the E46 M3. Of those lights, I think the E-code halogens in the E36 were the best/most effective.

The Xenons in the M3 weren't so great, because they did not have the right side kick-up that is common to E-code and so-called "harmonized" DOT/ECE lamps--the cut-off ran straight across the lights. The 330 does have this kick-up, which improves the lights' performance, but while they *look* very bright, I think part of this is an illusion caused by the different color temperature in Xenons over halogens.

The Audi has Xenons that bend with the road, but I haven't really found that feature very useful other than as a neat parlor trick.

Bottom line? I'd like some good E-code halogen projectors for my car. They work just as well as Xenons IMHO and cost much less. BMW's switch to Xenons has meant the end of these lights for newer cars, though, and given the choice I guess I'd rather have Xenons over the stock halogens.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
FYI, a halogen bulb for the E46 costs about $10 and takes about 30 seconds to replace.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Bottom line? I'd like some good E-code halogen projectors for my car. They work just as well as Xenons IMHO and cost much less. BMW's switch to Xenons has meant the end of these lights for newer cars, though, and given the choice I guess I'd rather have Xenons over the stock halogens.
For a BMW I'd agree. BMW's stock US halogen lights are terrible.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
We've now had 3 cars with Xenons and I like them.

My E46 and E39 both had/have low beam-only xenons with hallogen brights. When I drive the MINI at night (which just has halogens), I really notice how dim the MINI is compared to the other cars with xenons.

The X3 has xenons for both low beams and brights. Bright xenons are amazing in the amount of extra light further out. I really like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Audi has Xenons that bend with the road, but I haven't really found that feature very useful other than as a neat parlor trick.
Our X3 also has those -- they bend up to 15 degrees from center. It is a neat trick, but I also find it usefull where I live. We live in north Scottsdale, which has a "dark skies" policy, so there are very limited street lamps -- and in our neighborhood there are none (instead, each house has 2 lights on the garage doors that are controlled by a neighborhood-wide light sensor). Its great at night because we can really see the stars and not have light pollution. But it also makes it harder to see when driving -- and the bendy xenons are great in this instance as the lights follow the road more and you really can see around bends better.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #17
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
There is a massive difference between the Jeep and the 330i. While the Jeep headlights are significantly higher off the ground, the 330i has much better "reach". And no, it's not just because the Jeep lights are covered with mud.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote