carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1261
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I don't have a video handy of the "before," but amongst the information that has been removed from the main screen are:

Power use/regen
Analog speedometer ring
Date
Time
Temp

In addition, the battery display has both reduced prominence and less detail.

In the user selectable side displays, the power usage graph has reduced detail (and has a much shittier version of the power meter integrated).

The trip odometer has lost the A and B function.
I'm waiting until actual release before getting upset -- its possible Tesla does some reversion on some of this. But if it looks like the leaks, I'll be firing off complaints to Tesla (basically everyone I can think of, and will tweet Musk).

I'm mostly concerned with moving info from the speedo/power ring to optional side displays. I already get annoyed when my selected side displays get covered up by something else -- I keep the trip meters on the right side, but answering a phone call covers them up. I'm less concerned with the left side -- I usually use Nav, so that's almost always the Nav display, or just a power meter if I'm not using Nav. I don't change the displays that frequently, and the leaked V7 moves info to multiple side screens that I currently have avail at once. I don't want to be flipping side screens all the time.

I'll be keeping an eye out for broader release -- and will not immediately update my car until someone posts a full review on a pre-auto pilot car.

JST -
One clarification -- the speedo arc is still there, but moves to a more horizontal view above the digital speed readout, although it may go away when AP is engaged.

The changes I've seen so far that I can live with are:
1) Battery move -- it still shows remaining range, which is good enough for me
2) Date/Time -- On the center console (only day of week is really lost)... Would prefer to have it on the dash also though.
3) Temp -- also on the center console

The ones I have an issue with are:
1) Loss of power meter from center unit
2) Moving too much over to side displays (including clock/temp)..
3) dumbing down of the trip meters. I like having since last charge, Trip 1 & Trip 2. Would like to see a "Lifetime" added...
Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #1262
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The sense of entitlement here is strong.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #1263
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The sense of entitlement here is strong.
Entitlement to not having my car wrecked by a redesign of its systems after I bought it?

Yeah, I'll cop to feeling entitled about that.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #1264
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Isn't it possible the new layouts will just be an option you can switch to/from?

If the whole display system is soft, I can't see why they couldn't even make a "design your own" utility of some sort and allow you to save your own configurations too, in addition to Tesla-designed presets.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #1265
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Entitlement to not having my car wrecked by a redesign of its systems after I bought it?

Yeah, I'll cop to feeling entitled about that.
Hyperbole much?

My understanding is that the SW update isn't even released yet, but you're rampaging about the leaked *BETA* images?

But please feel free to twat all over twatter about how your tesla is teh ruinated.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #1266
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Hyperbole much?

My understanding is that the SW update isn't even released yet, but you're rampaging about the leaked *BETA* images?

But please feel free to twat all over twatter about how your tesla is teh ruinated.
Why should I wait until the damage is done to complain? Why shouldn't I speak up before they release the shitty thing, so that maybe they don't release the shitty thing?

Note, though, that other than carping here and on TMC, I haven't done anything to complain about it, precisely because I don't know what's going to happen.

Plaz--it is possible that this is a selectable mode that appears only when AP is active. We don't know. The leaked release notes don't suggest that, and there haven't been any releases of beta images that would support that, but it's certainly possible.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #1267
robg
Carmudgeon

I don't know enough about the UI changes to comment but I imagine it will be configurable- perhaps giving you something closer the current.

The battery upgrade for existing cars is interesting. I'd imagine a 60 upgraded to a 90 battery would have the best range of all due to the less powerful motor. Makes me wonder why they don't give you this option when configuring a new 70 (can only upgrade from 85 to 90). Wonder if an upgraded 60 would get over 300 miles of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #1268
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I don't know enough about the UI changes to comment but I imagine it will be configurable- perhaps giving you something closer the current.

The battery upgrade for existing cars is interesting. I'd imagine a 60 upgraded to a 90 battery would have the best range of all due to the less powerful motor. Makes me wonder why they don't give you this option when configuring a new 70 (can only upgrade from 85 to 90). Wonder if an upgraded 60 would get over 300 miles of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The motors in the 60 and 85 are actually exactly the same. Inverters, too. It's just about how much power the battery can deliver.

There's a whole other ridiculous tempest in a teapot on the Tesla boards about power ratings. The company originally used system power ratings (300 hp, 362 hp, 416 hp) for the various models (60, 85, P85). That was an approximation of how much power the car could make, whether battery limited (60 and P85) or inverter limited (85).

They've since changed to a "motor power" rating, which is complete bullshit, because it's basically the hp the motor could make if it were hooked up to an unlimited power source. That's the 691 hp figure you see for the P85D. The car can never make that much power, though, because the battery just can't supply it. Imagine a 7 gallon per minute shower head hooked up to a 2.5 gpm supply line--the "691" is the "7" here, but the relevant figure is really 2.5.

No one knows exactly what the actual system power of the P85D is, but it's probably closer to 500 or 550 hp.

Lots of people are very exercised over this, which is dumb. At the same time, it is also dumb to rate power the way that Tesla (now) does.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #1269
John V
No more BMWs

Sounds like Tesla owners just enjoy being outraged.

Even when the thing they're outraged about might not actually exist
Old 10-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #1270
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Rob -
The Tesla dashboard has 3 main sections to it -- Left, Middle, Right. Left and Right are configurable to display different things (Nav is only Left, but most other items are either Left or Right). The Middle is not configurable.

The problem is that Tesla is moving info currently in the middle (and organized really well) to the configurable displays. And its not just one of the configurable displays -- it would put stuff currently in the Middle and my mostly static Right display on up to 3 separate configurable screens.

Imagine having to cycle between a tach/odometer, clock/temp, and trip meters in a BMW (or Speedo/clock/trip meter in a Porsche)... Oh... and dumb down what is displayed a bit (less info, fewer trip meters, etc)...

That's why we're a bit upset at what was leaked...