Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-22-2023, 10:07 PM   #641
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Pretty sure BMW will not replace the Z4
I guess we’ll all have to buy gas Miatas or EV Boxsters…
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:33 PM   #642
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Pretty sure BMW will not replace the Z4
Agreed. BMW is allegedly done with having a roadster in their line-up. The current model has not sold that well even though sales are currently up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9356.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	16073  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:57 PM   #643
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Finally decided to take the G42 for a spirited drive on my favorite backroad playground (IN 45) on Sunday, and the upshot is I am even more impressed with this car.

I only drove it at maybe 9/10th of what I normally do since it was around 1pm that I tackled it, and there was a lot more traffic than my normal early morning runs when you only encounter one or two vehicles going in either direction for the entire 20-mile jaunt from Bean Blossom to Bloomington. But even at that pace the whole event in the end was smile inducing.

At that tempo the suspension was definitely M like. I had it on the Adaptive setting and it never felt out of sorts even when pushing it. Amazed me how little body roll it exuded.

But the star of the show remains the B58 powerplant. What a torque monster; an engine with a real sense of urgency when you stab the go peddle. The steering is tolerable on the hustle, and brakes while definitely the weakest link are still adequate to scrub speed trailbraking.

Then while meandering back home on more congestive country roads I set it to Comfort mode, and it was tantamount to riding on a magic carpet or your favorite lounge chair.

At the end of the trek it got me wondering how much better (perfect?) would this car be with a loss of 300 pounds and option of a 6-speed manual?

In the end my interest in the G87 has waned for the time being, and but for the fact it will be the last ICE that you can get with a stick, I would be entirely ambivalent about its existence.

But knowing myself all too well I am sure I will create a case need (at least in my mind) to add one before the doors close on the last "small" ICE M available on this planet.
How about a yearly update? And how are you feeling about the prospect of an M2 now?
Old 05-17-2024, 08:55 AM   #644
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
How about a yearly update? And how are you feeling about the prospect of an M2 now?
Still enjoying it, but since I now work 100% from home, I've only managed to put about 4600 miles on it.

But when I do bring it out it attracts all kinds of attention most likely because of the deep purple Thundernight metallic skin. Even got a free meal at the McDonald's drive thru. A guy in front of me in line liked it so much that he gifted me so that when I got to the pay window I was told someone had paid the bill.

I am thinking now I should just hang out at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse until the same outcome is achieved. That will be the true test I reckon.

As for the G87, kind of still in limbo. Ultimately depends upon whether they open it up to the Individual program or not.

Because while they did confirm new colors are on the pallet for MY 25 (Skyscraper Grey Metallic, Portimao Blue Metallic, Sao Paulo Yellow, Fire Red Metallic), none of those strike my fancy.

Thoughts of Le Mans blue still waft through my cranium, so I am stuck on that as my preferred, go to color at the moment. If LMB is not a part of the Individual offering, then I might go to Thundernight again.

It all comes down to whether or not the Individual option comes to fruition, although strong indications (paint code '490' which is 'Special Order Color' indicating individual colors) has been rumored for MY25.

But I am looking at it from a long-term perspective both in not having to make a choice until 2026 or 2027; cognizant this will be likely the last new vehicle I buy as I am a passionate and devout hater of all thing's hybrid or EV.