carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-27-2023, 05:57 PM   #71
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Maybe I am biased but the VW EA888 is pretty good for a 4 cylinder turbo engine. Seems like there a lot of complaints with the sound of the BMW version. Not that the VW sounds good but it is not offensive.
I've read that the fact that the EA888 has an iron block likely helps with its refinement
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:41 PM   #72
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I've read that the fact that the EA888 has an iron block likely helps with its refinement
Yeah I know it has a iron block which I thought was always kind of crude. Interesting about the refinement.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:08 PM   #73
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Drove the Arteon up to the mountains and played with the active cruise control and lane centering on the freeway part. Overall a pretty bad implementation, sort of like having a new driver driving the car. The Corolla rental I had in New Mexico seemed to have a better active cruise control implementation.
On paper, a fully loaded Arteon reads a lot like my wife's fully loaded Fusion. I really like the adaptive cruise in the Fusion. The lane centering in the Fusion really sucked until I had the 4 wheel alignment checked (and adjusted)

I still don't like the lane centering, but it does now sort of function.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #74
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
In regards to the Model 3, we are considering the smaller range version. Does anyone know if the smaller and larger share the same battery pack and they just limit the capacity with SW on the smaller one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
No, it’s a smaller battery. Looks like 60 kWh.
Just one comment on the smaller pack... It uses a newer chemistry and Tesla removed the recommendation to only charge to 90% daily -- so you can charge to 100% daily. I've had a couple now as rentals (both from Hertz at La Guardia...). The one I picked up last week was at 97 or 98% when I picked it up and had about 250 miles of range at pick-up

For reference, my 4.5 year old Model 3 is showing about 10% range degradation, and a 90% charge on it roughly 250 miles (varies between 248 and 251). So, you're getting about the same...
Old 03-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #75
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Test Drive #2 - Tesla Model 3 RWD

I drove one awhile back when I was getting my GTI so this was more a refresher. This time the tech did not scare me as much, either more use to it or more comfortable since it has been vetted for a while.

Notes:
-Acceleration was pretty good but not mind blowing, maybe that requires the performance version? I will still end up driving it like a dick
-Standard(?) seats sucked, I was falling all over the place. I guess they were comfortable at least.
-I am liking the clean interior nowadays, all digital interface was not terrible and I could use to.
-Like Josh said, ton of value with the base model for the money. All the tech of the Acura plus more.
-Hate to admit but the fart for turn signal gave us a pretty good laugh

Pros-wise my wife definitely liked it for her commuting car to work. I like the reduced maintenance/cost and in theory less guilt of driving it around.

Cons wise it seems like every other car is a Telsa in my area(and most driven terribly) so I would have to get over that. Also first time not have a manual car since my first car. Guess in the not far future, my soon to be driving son could use the 4runnner and I could get something else.
Hey at least they are 3 different Tesla models(y in front)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230329_164807081.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	15807  
Old 03-30-2023, 03:21 PM   #76
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
There you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA888.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	15814  
Old 03-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #77
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
There you go
There’s the good and the bad right there.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #78
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
There you go

Nice! I think that is where I read that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:51 PM   #79
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
There’s the good and the bad right there.
I wonder how much more weight the iron block adds, maybe it is worth the weight for robustness and sound. The weight is at a bad spot though

Edit: Not sure why I said robustness when my previous GTI block seemed to have failed with a probably hairline crack in it:
Old 04-04-2023, 05:13 PM   #80
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Got a random call today and it was the dealer and my GTI was ready. Guess they got the transmission in this morning and installed it in a few hours. Feels odd since it has been so long It took a bit over 2 months