carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Thoughts on the q4 etron as a daily driver?

My criteria:
-No fake leather seats (this is surprisingly hard to avoid in most mainstream EVs on the market. You either get the stripper model w/ cloth seats or you are forced to get vinyl (ok "vegan leather" if you prefer)
-No 4 cylinders. Prefer EV or a 6. Goes without saying, but no CVTs.
-Net price under 50k to leave room in my budget for an eventual used Porsche.
-Hatchback (could be an actual hatchback, wagon or crossover)
-adaptive cruise contorl
-adustable lumbar support (missing on all the stripper EVs with cloth interiors)

With tax credits, it seems like I could get the higher powered AWD version of the Q4 with all the options I'd want in the mid 40s. It's still slow by modern EV standards (0-60 in 5.8), but realistically that's totally fine. Most reviews seem favorable in terms of ride/handling balance and comfort.

Pros:
-Looks are fine. Not my favorite, but not terrible either. I actually think the ID4 looks a little better, but that car has mandatory fake leather (as do the Mach E and Ioniq 5)
-Good amount of room/practicality given the relatively small exterior footprint.
-Able to stay under 50k net.
-Actual climate controls (not screen or capacative touch based)
-Seems to have reasonable ergonomics, storage, etc.
-Can get it with an actual opening sunroof with a shade. I'm not a fan of the "put a big piece of glass in the roof with no shade" trend that seems to be prevalent amongst most EVs

Cons:
-I dont love compact crossovers as a genre... but I'm kind of getting over that.
-Somewhat lackluster peak fast charging rate ( Think it's like 125 kw or something). Realistically, we probably only do about 1k a year worth of longer distance driving though.
-I've kind of grown to like cooled seats-- can't get those on the q4. To be fair, I dont think any of the mainstream EVs offer those either.

If I could get over the grille, the i4 40i might be a better choice (prefer the hatchback/wagon form to a crossover if possible). Looks like that could squeak in at just over 50k net if I was careful with options. But...I probably can't get over the grille.

The only upcoming EVs that seem potentially more interesting to me are VW group's "PPE" models (Macan EV, A6 etron, possibly an A5 EV eventually)... but those will all be well over 50k and years away. Of course a Taycan CT would be the ulimate choice but it'll be quite some time before they depreciate down to 50k. And I'm still tempted enough by that car to possibly say "screw it" and spend my entire car budget on one.

I'm sure i'm overlooking something though...

Last edited by robg; 09-27-2021 at 02:13 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
robg
Carmudgeon

Ha- I can tell from the silence that no one thinks this is a good idea. After putting it out there and thinking about it for a few days, I'm now onto the idea of the next gen Golf R as a daily driver. 4 cylinder turbo, but probably the best in that category right now. Under 50k, and comes with everything i'd want std. The overuse of touch and capacitive controls bugs me, but it's getting hard to avoid that these days so I could probably suck it up. Slowly warming up to the looks as well. Probably a year away from actually available at dealers anyway based on supply chain, etc.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
Nick M3
Relic

I mean, it's a boring but adequate car. I'm sure it would be pleasant enough if it leased ok.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Your list of cons sum it up pretty well I think.

It's uninteresting and expensive.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Your list of cons sum it up pretty well I think.

It's uninteresting and expensive.
The Golf R or the Q4?
Old 09-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The Golf R or the Q4?
Sorry, I meant the Q4.

The Golf R is kinda interesting, but if I were looking for something like that I'd probably try to stretch for an RS3 to at least get an engine with some personality.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Sorry, I meant the Q4.

The Golf R is kinda interesting, but if I were looking for something like that I'd probably try to stretch for an RS3 to at least get an engine with some personality.
Yeah...the new RS3 has crossed my mind as well. Love that they still offer the 5 cyl. I think they are only offering it in sedan for in the US though...and it's over 60k IIRC. This is the slippery slope that leads me to spending 100k on a Taycan....lol
Old 09-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Sorry, I meant the Q4.

I agree about the engine but bummer it is auto only

I didn't know about the Q4 so had to look it up
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

I agree with both of you on the auto only, and that's why I ultimately decided not to start test driving them (previous gen RS3 that is). Also the lack of a hatch / wagon version in the US is dumb. That's a much more appealing car.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
The mini E has pretty crappy range (115miles), but is $36k for everything you want.

I went to look at the iX3, thinking it was much more x3 and much less i, but saw the pics, threw up a little in my mouth and agreed with your q4 direction
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote