carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I should note that anyone in the midatlantic area should keep up on sealants/waxes BEFORE cicada season gets going.
Here's my dilemma.

I have a ceramic (GYEON Q2 Syncro) that I intend to apply to the Camaro. Before I can do that, I need to do paint protection first to take care of some light swirls and marring that are already driving me nuts. I also want to remove a couple small pieces of factory PPF in front of the rear wheel and replace with higher quality self-healing PPF that cover more area. These sections got beat up pretty bad on the turbo and the 1LE's wider, stickier tires won't make that situation better.

I'd been waiting all winter for the weather to get warmer and now here we are. I've never done paint correction before, so I'd need to buy a tool, pads, and product...which means evaluating and decided on each of those or pay someone to do it. I have a guy that I trust to do it well and he would charge something about what it cost for me to buy that stuff. He's usually booked up pretty far in advance...and I kind of want to do it myself. I don't know why, but I'm nervous about doing it. Probably because of past horror stories of people burning through their paint in the old days (with the modern tools, pads, and products, it looks like you really have to go out of your way to make that happen), but I don't know.

What I want to do is remove the PPF, a strip/decontamination, clay, paint correct, add new PPF, ceramic, add a topper and be done.

This has all been eating at me every day since I got the car in greater and greater ways.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #22
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Here's my dilemma.

I have a ceramic (GYEON Q2 Syncro) that I intend to apply to the Camaro. Before I can do that, I need to do paint protection first to take care of some light swirls and marring that are already driving me nuts. I also want to remove a couple small pieces of factory PPF in front of the rear wheel and replace with higher quality self-healing PPF that cover more area. These sections got beat up pretty bad on the turbo and the 1LE's wider, stickier tires won't make that situation better.

I'd been waiting all winter for the weather to get warmer and now here we are. I've never done paint correction before, so I'd need to buy a tool, pads, and product...which means evaluating and decided on each of those or pay someone to do it. I have a guy that I trust to do it well and he would charge something about what it cost for me to buy that stuff. He's usually booked up pretty far in advance...and I kind of want to do it myself. I don't know why, but I'm nervous about doing it. Probably because of past horror stories of people burning through their paint in the old days (with the modern tools, pads, and products, it looks like you really have to go out of your way to make that happen), but I don't know.

What I want to do is remove the PPF, a strip/decontamination, clay, paint correct, add new PPF, ceramic, add a topper and be done.

This has all been eating at me every day since I got the car in greater and greater ways.
Buy a spray can of PNS and wipe it on the next time you wash it. Then you can keep dithering.

It's crazy low effort to apply.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Buy a spray can of PNS and wipe it on the next time you wash it. Then you can keep dithering.

It's crazy low effort to apply.
That's what's probably going to happen this afternoon. I've had a can of PNS in the garage since last summer.

But I'd rather do everything else.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #24
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Those retracta reels are cool, but I have to say that the existence of expanding hoses makes them a lot less attractive than they used to be. Now, my hose just fits in the wash bucket when I'm done.
They've become very overpriced. They're quite convenient in that the 2 water hoses and the air hose are up out of the way (along with a power cord reel by Reelcraft). All are permanently plumbed or wired in.

Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #25
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
They've become very overpriced. They're quite convenient in that the 2 water hoses and the air hose are up out of the way (along with a power cord reel by Reelcraft). All are permanently plumbed or wired in.

No doubt. If you have to have a big hose, reels are tremendous.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 04-08-2021, 10:58 PM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That's what's probably going to happen this afternoon. I've had a can of PNS in the garage since last summer.

But I'd rather do everything else.
Well, I did something different (but car related) that also needed doing , but now that's done. Have plans after work Friday, so hopefully this weekend.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #27
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Sonax Polymer Net Shield is an absolutely killer product for the lazy. Wipe on, wipe off, durable, flexible.
This is the most horrible shit to apply and near impossible to "wipe off."

Absolutely aces for something that goes on super tacky and leaves streaky, though.

On a scale of 1-10 for ease of use in application compared to Fast Finish, I'd put FF at a 7 and PNS at a 2. Applying a coat of FF to a Camaro takes about 8-10 minutes, tops. One coat of PNS took near 90 minutes with most of that time spent working the "wipe off" step. I went though a bunch of microfibers and ultimately had to go back over the whole car with a big waffleweave and I'm not sure I got all of it. Oh, and that time doesn't include the hood because I didn't know how well it would play with the black vinyl. I did one small edge and will how that performs before deciding whether to do the rest of it.

No opinion yet for how it actually does its job or for how long. Based on the youtube comparisons, my expectations are for it to beading and sheeting performance to be similar, but probably last longer (but doubt it will last so much longer that I'll ever willingly use it again).

edit: I reversed the ease of use ratings. I believe this is what prompted JST's response below. Whoops. Corrected now.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?

Last edited by clyde; 04-12-2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #28
JST

Wait, which one is Fast Finish?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #29
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Wait, which one is Fast Finish?

Meguiar's Fast Finish. Goes on super easy. Spray a tiny bit on a microfiber, wipe on, then either wipe off or don't (I do), and move to the next section. It goes on and comes comes off super easy. As I said in the post above, only a few minutes to put a coat on the Camaro. (A metric AND Imperial fuckton easier than the Sonax PNS stuff.) Water beads and sheets very nicely for a few months (the "protects for a full year" on the box is an exaggeration). Since it's so easy to apply, I added a coat about once a month to the gray Camaro. With a little time, the car became very glossy. It also felt super slick all the time. Like, literally slippery. That's a double edged sword when you put as many stickers and decals on your car as I do since it makes it really hard for them to lay down and stick (but also makes it easier to remove them with less worry about potential clearcoat damage).

Clyde gives Fast Finish an A grade for ease of use and a A for doing what it's supposed to do and an A++ with bonus points on top for same when compared to the level of effort required. I used it for almost the entire two and a half years I had the turbo.

Tonight, I applied Sonax Polymer Net Shield for the first time and that's what I was talking about in the earlier post.

Sonax Polymer Net Shield. Does not go on happy, it goes on tacky and doesn't let your microfiber or applicator move smoothly. It goes on leaving visible streaks. It MUST be wiped off pretty quickly. The stuff is so sticky that it grabs your microfiber and doesn't really let go which makes it impossible to systematically wipe clear with predictable effect. You need to constantly check your work with lights at oblique angles to make sure it's all off. And guess what? It won't be. Wipe some more. Get another microfiber. Still not wiped off.

Clyde gives Sonax Polymer Net Shield an F grade for ease of use, but no grade yet for performance. I am hopeful that there's some sun on Monday so I can see what it looks like in the sun. I didn't start the application until probably 8:30pm. Also looking forward to seeing how water behaves on the surface in the rain. Really, really, really hoping it's better than the Fast Finish product so at least it feels like all the extra effort gave me something in return.

Nick has talked up Sonax PNS quite a bit over the past year or so and I bought a can last summer, but did not use until tonight. Based on my praise for Fast Finish, Nick tried at some point and reported back that he did not like it. IIRC, Nick lives in a world where PNS is easier to apply than FF. I don't know where Nick's world exists in real life, because that shit couldn't be further from the truth.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:35 AM   #30
Nick M3
Relic

I’m very, very, very puzzled by your experience with PNS. Absolutely none of what you describe is anything like any experience that I’ve ever had. Wipe on, wipe off. I typically do the whole car with one towel.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo