carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #151
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I was about to write the same about our LR4.

Ha! These Land Rovers kind of get under your skin don’t they. It’s everything I said I never wanted in a vehicke: heavy, luxury SUV with an automatic and yet it’s my favorite car I’ve owned overall. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and plan to keep it around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #152
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
No, because the newer Tesla chargers can be mounted more than one to a circuit, so a 100 amp circuit will let you mount a couple of chargers.

God, another f'ing video.

https://www.tesla.com/support/load-s...wall-connector
Ignore that video - those are 2nd Gen wall connectors, which are out of production.

Tesla now sells the 3rd Gen wall connector. Still supports power sharing, but each must be on its own breaker and branch circuit, although that may still be pending a firmware update. More info here (includes a link to the manual): https://www.tesla.com/support/instal...ector#firmware

The 100A circuit may be able to feed a sub panel. Also, the 3rd Gen wall connectors individually max out with a 60A breaker - which is what we have. Allows 240V 48A continuous draw, which charges both the 3 and Y at 44 miles per hour...
Old 03-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #153
JST

Ah, thanks. Yes I definitely have not been paying attention.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #154
JST

Also I don’t really get how they support power sharing if they have to be on their own circuit?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #155
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Also I don’t really get how they support power sharing if they have to be on their own circuit?
I’m wondering if that might change when the sharing feature is released. But it says that you can have multiple connected on their own 60A circuit, buy it asks for a combined max continuous Amperage draw. So you could have a 100A sub panel and 3 wall charges that share the 100A Max draw, but could individually go up to 60A

Gen3 has wifi, so you no longer have to run a control wire between the wall connectors.

Not much of a concern for us - we only put in 1 charger. We thought about adding another or a 14-50 to the 2nd garage, but we figure we’ll just trade off using the charger...
Old 03-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #156
JST

The lack of a control wire seems...not a big deal given all the other wires you need to run.

And the change to an 18’ cable would frankly be a deal breaker for me. The 24’ cable I’ve got now is barely long enough to be comfortable.

At some point if I don’t sell this dumb house first I’m going to have to run a 240v circuit to my front yard so I can charge a car up there, too. At that point I guess I’ll downgrade the existing connection to a 60 amp and run a 40 up there.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #157
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
The lack of a control wire seems...not a big deal given all the other wires you need to run.

And the change to an 18’ cable would frankly be a deal breaker for me. The 24’ cable I’ve got now is barely long enough to be comfortable.

At some point if I don’t sell this dumb house first I’m going to have to run a 240v circuit to my front yard so I can charge a car up there, too. At that point I guess I’ll downgrade the existing connection to a 60 amp and run a 40 up there.
I only used the UMC in AZ and OH, so this is our first wall connectors. Agree that the 18’ is a tad too short. We have ours inside the garage, just left of the door. It can reach the charge port of a car parked anywhere in the garage (2-bay garage...) as long as the car is parked facing inwards. If parked in the driveway, we have to back in — it won’t reach when parked facing the garage. The extra 6 feet would have given a little more flexibility. But it works.

On the control wire, I think that got messy in commercial situations with more than 2 wall connectors. I think one unit was the primary and had to be connected to each other unit. Did not daisy chain...
Old 03-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #158
robg
Carmudgeon

Just when I think I'm starting to understand EV terminology... what is a "control wire"? (kind of afraid to ask lol)
Old 03-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #159
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Just when I think I'm starting to understand EV terminology... what is a "control wire"? (kind of afraid to ask lol)
It's what Tesla was using to allow their wall units to communicate with one another; they've now gone to WiFi (though apparently that's still vaporware). It's not really relevant to the Taycan.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #160
robg
Carmudgeon

Another positive review of the base model. Also, the first one i've seen that's on steel suspension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcYkH94g1t8