carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #131
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah can definitely see how the charging network is an advantage for now - just seems less and less like a reason to choose a Tesla unless you are going to regularly rely on super chargers. Let’s say it makes 5% of my driving 20% more convenient; that’s a 1% improvement overall that is easily overshadowed by other things I might care about

What other EV things do they do better? Seems like other recent competitors do a better job of being good cars..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think DeMuro is often hard to watch but this Polestar 2 review is one of the things I'm thinking about:

EDIT: His Mach E review makes a similar point, though he seems a lot more impressed with it than the Polestar in terms of competitiveness to Tesla. Jump to minute 29 if you don't want to sit through the whole thing.

Last edited by JST; 04-01-2021 at 09:06 AM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #132
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think DeMuro is often hard to watch but this Polestar 2 review is one of the things I'm thinking about:

EDIT: His Mach E review makes a similar point, though he seems a lot more impressed with it than the Polestar in terms of competitiveness to Tesla. Jump to minute 29 if you don't want to sit through the whole thing.

Will try and watch the full episodes later, but I did quickly watch from minute 29 in the Mach E video. He didn't really have much real criticism compared to Tesla--sounds like going into it he thought he'd conclude that Tesla still makes the best EVs by far but he says that the Mach E is extremely close (with maybe a very slight edge to Tesla in range and performance). (Also, he's going off the reported EPA range which as we now know makes Teslas sound much better than they actually are). He mentions the charging network but then points out that Ford Pass does a pretty good job of aggregating various charging stations and giving useful info about them. Also mentions that he thinks the tech is better in the Ford (other than the current lack of something similar to Tesla's "self driving" features). During his "doug score" segment he points that while it scores slightly lower than the MOdel 3 and Y performance versions overall that's only because of the acceleration- and that the upcoming Mach E GT will be more comparable to those cars. His score for this version was higher than the regular Model 3. Guess I'm not hearing any new insights in his review that would lead me to conclude that Tesla still has a real edge...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #133
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Will try and watch the full episodes later, but I did quickly watch from minute 29 in the Mach E video. He didn't really have much real criticism compared to Tesla--sounds like going into it he thought he'd conclude that Tesla still makes the best EVs by far but he says that the Mach E is extremely close (with maybe a very slight edge to Tesla in range and performance). He mentions the charging network but then points out that Ford Pass does a pretty good job of aggregating various charging stations and giving useful info about them. Also mentions that he thinks the tech is better in the Ford (other than the current lack of something similar to Tesla's "self driving" features). During his "doug score" segment he points that while it scores slightly lower than the MOdel 3 and Y performance versions overall that's only because of the acceleration- and that the upcoming Mach E GT will be more comparable to those cars. His score for this version was higher than the regular Model 3. Guess I'm not hearing any new insights in his review that would lead me to conclude that Tesla still has a real edge...
Thank you for saving me from having to watch it to get that info.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #134
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Thank you for saving me from having to watch it to get that info.
I mean, the Tesla is faster and has more range for less money. But yeah, DeMuro says the Mach E is closer than he expected.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #135
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean, the Tesla is faster and has more range for less money. But yeah, DeMuro says the Mach E is closer than he expected.

Is it though? Ford’s website quotes a price of around 55k for an AWD premium Mach e with the bigger battery with a 0-60 time of 4.8. After the tax credit it’s about 47.5. The model y long range is 50k and Tesla also quotes a 0-60 time of 4.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #136
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
It's crazy how the Volvo & Ford look like each other; for a moment I thought the same video was posted twice. Convergent evolution? Copying Model Y? All of them copying something else? Ugh, thank dog I don't need a car in this "category"
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #137
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It's crazy how the Volvo & Ford look like each other; for a moment I thought the same video was posted twice. Convergent evolution? Copying Model Y? All of them copying something else? Ugh, thank dog I don't need a car in this "category"
Ha- I mean I'm not a fan of the "crossover everything" trend either but these cars don't look too much alike to me. The Volvo has a boxier look where the Ford is curvier. If anything the Ford looks more like some Jaguar SUVs maybe. I finally saw a Mach E on the street the other day (in a red metallic color). It's good looking for the genre, but I'm not sure it's worthy of all the flowery prose that's been written on the styling. The Volvo too gets praised for its styling and, while it's fine, to me it has shades of AMC eagle (a lifted sedan). Overall, the Mach E seems like probably the best daily driver you can buy for under 80k but I can't quite get excited about it.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #138
dan
redefined

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-owners-say...urp-1846666529
Old 04-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #139
JST

Ugh.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #140
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
This kind of juvenile shit is another in the long list making me wait for someone other than Tesla to release an interesting EV.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote