Nice! That's super handy.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #92
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Nice! That's super handy.
Yes. The stock of boots that I keep has literally saved me thousands. I highly recommend just buying a couple of the assortments to keep in a drawer.

For example: The boots on the 993TT's front endlinks were rotted out, but the balljoints remained nice and tight. A couple bucks worth of boots kicked the crap out of $500 to replace.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #93
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
First time I’ve seen the engine from up top; equ was right, it wasn’t that bad. I think I am on the right track with this. Moving the air box def produced a squeaking sound that went away after some shots of lube. But it’s not clear whether this has fixed the problem completely, need to drive it a few more days.
One thing to watch is that aluminum cover panel dings/bends quite easily. It's not visible, so it doesn't matter. But it never felt robust to me. Thankfully haven't seen it in over a year. And the sound insulation on top is substantial in weight and thickness.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #94
JST

New sway bar bushings and end links.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4C1ABCF-69F1-4D23-8F6B-2651ECF52DDD.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	13261  
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #95
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
New sway bar bushings and end links.
With the warmer weather, the patio is now open for ala carte dining, I mean repairs!
Old 03-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #96
JST

Dropping this here rather than the 981 thread because it's more relevant here:

Today I drove a stock 987.2S with 30K miles on it back-to-back with my 53K miles 987.1S with Ohlins springs and dampers.

Wow, what a difference. The Ohlins really sharpen the car, in everything from turn-in to transient response. The stock car felt bigger and slower witted, with a noticeable lag in response that just isn't there on my car. It was extremely obvious, and made the newer car feel much more skewed toward GT.

What was maybe even more surprising was the improvement in steering feel. Maybe that's just down to the repacked bearings in the top mounts, but my car was conveying messages about the pavement that just weren't coming through the stock car.

I've been getting used to the Ohlins, and around town they are very firm; maybe even firmer than I want them (though I haven't tried adjusting them from the "canyon carving" setting we put them on when installing). But I didn't have a good frame of reference as to the change until today. And of course I don't know anything about the maintenance history of the car I drove, but it is a relatively low mile example that didn't feel obviously abused.

And I guess some of that may be down to tires (18" PS4s on my car v. 19" 2019 date coded Pilot Sport 2s on the 987.2), though if anything I'd expect the 19s to have a little less compliance and provide maybe a bit more sharpness on turn-in.

JV, you should get a set of these Ohlins immediately. I think you'd really, really like them.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #97
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I wonder how it would be back to back with a Cayman R or the passive 030 suspension. I guess Ohlins could be sharper & better on track or "canyon carving".

The Cayman R and even the sport setting of the PASM are a meaningful difference to the base 987 suspensions. It was a rule for me that on my 981 search, I was not going to accept a car with base suspension. Or with base 2-way seats for that matter. I made PASM or passive sports a requirement as I did with sports seats, power seats or the 18-ways... Based on what I read from JST, the power seats don't work for him either, so he would need the sports seats or the 18-ways.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #98
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Dropping this here rather than the 981 thread because it's more relevant here:

Today I drove a stock 987.2S with 30K miles on it back-to-back with my 53K miles 987.1S with Ohlins springs and dampers.

Wow, what a difference. The Ohlins really sharpen the car, in everything from turn-in to transient response. The stock car felt bigger and slower witted, with a noticeable lag in response that just isn't there on my car. It was extremely obvious, and made the newer car feel much more skewed toward GT.

What was maybe even more surprising was the improvement in steering feel. Maybe that's just down to the repacked bearings in the top mounts, but my car was conveying messages about the pavement that just weren't coming through the stock car.

I've been getting used to the Ohlins, and around town they are very firm; maybe even firmer than I want them (though I haven't tried adjusting them from the "canyon carving" setting we put them on when installing). But I didn't have a good frame of reference as to the change until today. And of course I don't know anything about the maintenance history of the car I drove, but it is a relatively low mile example that didn't feel obviously abused.

And I guess some of that may be down to tires (18" PS4s on my car v. 19" 2019 date coded Pilot Sport 2s on the 987.2), though if anything I'd expect the 19s to have a little less compliance and provide maybe a bit more sharpness on turn-in.

JV, you should get a set of these Ohlins immediately. I think you'd really, really like them.
I really seriously thought about it. And I'm still thinking about it. I got my yearly bonus last week and it was substantially larger than I expected it would be. Before I had time to think about that I moved it into the Vanguard account and that was that

Still thinking about it, though. I'm also budgeting for an eventual clutch replacement and I am thinking of an LSD install at the same time.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #99
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
I really seriously thought about it. And I'm still thinking about it. I got my yearly bonus last week and it was substantially larger than I expected it would be. Before I had time to think about that I moved it into the Vanguard account and that was that

Still thinking about it, though. I'm also budgeting for an eventual clutch replacement and I am thinking of an LSD install at the same time.
The obvious solution is a test drive.

I would definitely be curious how much of a difference tweaking the damper settings makes, though...
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #100
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

If the SCCA doesn't get their Pro Solo shit together soon, maybe you can reprogram part of the Pro Solo travel budget.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote